Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  69    71    73  ..  78
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2019 at 09:43
ETN vs PETN

I did some tests with both ETN and PETN and for some reason, ETN was always more powerfull-brisant than PETN. ETN got a few % of vaseline too. The containers were exactly the same and i hand-pressed them as much as i could. I thought PETN was more powerfull but ETN just did more damage and penetrate even further. It was a small scale test like 4g, maybe ETN is more bristant than PETN but PETN may be better in bigger quantities.

[Edited on 26-12-2019 by underground]
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2019 at 08:28

Have you checked the purity of the two? Melting point and TLC are good places to start.
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-12-2019 at 10:49

I just remembered that PETN was not recrystallized while ETN was. I just recrystallized a few gr of PETN and now it's drying. I will give it a try again.
georgef2545
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 06:29
Methylhydrazine as a ligand?

I appreciate that methylhydrazine, dimethylhydrazine etc are horrible flammable and toxic, react hypergolically with oxidisers, but I was wondering if using it as a ligand in a metal complex explosive would make a good primary explosive? For example complexing it with nickel nitrate or chlorate?

I do acknowledge that organohydrazine compounds are often very dangerous and this is probably stupid.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 07:43

Quote: Originally posted by georgef2545  
I appreciate that methylhydrazine, dimethylhydrazine etc are horrible flammable and toxic, react hypergolically with oxidisers, but I was wondering if using it as a ligand in a metal complex explosive would make a good primary explosive? For example complexing it with nickel nitrate or chlorate?

I do acknowledge that organohydrazine compounds are often very dangerous and this is probably stupid.

Search the forum for nickel hydrazine nitrate / perchlorate
You'll see there is quite a lot of interesting compounds in addition to NHN.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
FeedMe94
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 07:15

Is there any subreddit for energetic materials?
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by FeedMe94  
Is there any subreddit for energetic materials?

The youtube channel explosions and fire has one r/ExplosionsAndFire
B.D.E
Hazard to Self

Mood: Oscillating

[*] posted on 14-3-2020 at 13:07

nevermind, please delete.
apologies.

[Edited on 14-3-2020 by B.D.E]
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2020 at 19:59

Could not find this in any of the other threads, is ETN hygroscopic at all? Has anyone else had experience with it taking multiple days to dry? Humidity was below 60 % and other things dry just fine.
Katie
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-4-2020 at 11:50
Detonating Tannerite/Ammonal

Hi, long time lurker first time poster here!

Can ammonium nitrate / aluminum powder (Tannerite/Ammonal) be detonated with dextrinated lead azide? I’m using commercial brand Tannerite©. Also, will this be effective in clearing tree trunks and boulders (with tannerite filled boreholes).

I cannot test anything safely in my current location, but I have a vacation home. Unfortunately, I need to blast in the woods and I can’t be at a safe distance without losing my sight line, so detonating it with a 5.56 round isn’t an option.

I’ve made 2g dex. lead azide blasting caps based on commercial
cap design. This is my first post so I’ll mention that I have taken an explosives safety course approved by ISEE and have lab experience as well. I use electric blasting caps and a remote firework igniter so I can be at least 100 meters away from any explosion, with surrounding trees completely on securing the blast site. I’ve also gone through my “kewl bombz” phase when I was younger, and now my interests are in the synthesis and testing of energetic materials. I hope to eventually work as a chemical engineer designing products that use energetic materials.
Etanol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-4-2020 at 06:25

Quote: Originally posted by Katie  
Can ammonium nitrate / aluminum powder (Tannerite/Ammonal) be detonated with dextrinated lead azide?
cap design.

Yes of course.
What is the density of your lead azide in the blasting cap? Is it more than 2,0 g/cm3 ?
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2020 at 15:47

Can ammonium nitrate / aluminum powder (Tannerite/Ammonal) be detonated with dextrinated lead azide? I’m using commercial brand Tannerite©. Also, will this be effective in clearing tree trunks and boulders (with tannerite filled boreholes).

I cannot test anything safely in my current location, but I have a vacation home. Unfortunately, I need to blast in the woods and I can’t be at a safe distance without losing my sight line, so detonating it with a 5.56 round isn’t an option.

cap design. This is my first post so I’ll mention that I have taken an explosives safety course approved by ISEE and have lab experience as well. I use electric blasting caps and a remote firework igniter so I can be at least 100 meters away from any explosion, with surrounding trees completely on securing the blast site. I’ve also gone through my “kewl bombz” phase when I was younger, and now my interests are in the synthesis and testing of energetic materials. I hope to eventually work as a chemical engineer designing products that use energetic materials.

Why LA... so many safer options. Which ISEE course.... are you a student?

How are you going to drill the boreholes. And lastly... why tannerite... think OB.
Katie
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-4-2020 at 16:45

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  

Why LA... so many safer options. Which ISEE course.... are you a student?

How are you going to drill the boreholes. And lastly... why tannerite... think OB.

The ISEE course was their practical blasting fundamentals course as well as online certificate program. They are great safety classes but mainly focused on safely using commercial explosives in mining and construction rather that the chemistry behind everything.

I chose dextrinated LA because the reagents were readily available to me and because it has been used in commercial blasting caps. Tannerite because I have a lot of it for target shooting. What are the safer alternatives for an initiator? I’d like to know for future projects as I will probably make this a hobby. For the boreholes I have a 1” and 2” by 16” long drill bit and a large two hand power drill. I believe the 1” is a stone bit designed to work with the hammer drill function. I know they will work on wood but drilling the natural stone will be interesting.

I’m no longer a student but I’ve taken 2 years of general and organic chemistry as well as 2 years of lab based general chemistry, orgo, biology, and physics courses. I took the ISEE courses in preparation of getting my federal and state explosives manufacturing license for fireworks and black powder.

I’m definitely interested in the safest primaries that can be made from chemicals available online that will ship to individuals (or synthesized with hot plates and glassware). So please give me some suggestions!
Katie
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-4-2020 at 17:36
“Best” primaries

What do YOU think the “best” primary is in terms of safety, stability, and ease of synthesis? I recently made dex. lead azide but I understand there are safer alternatives out there that are just as easy to make and just as effective. I’ve seen many mentioned on these forms but I’m having trouble deciding on which one to use to create a supply of blasting caps that will be stored for up to a year before use (in a proper magazine, of course!)
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 22-4-2020 at 01:27

What do YOU think the “best” primary is in terms of safety, stability, and ease of synthesis? I recently made dex. lead azide but I understand there are safer alternatives out there that are just as easy to make and just as effective. I’ve seen many mentioned on these forms but I’m having trouble deciding on which one to use to create a supply of blasting caps that will be stored for up to a year before use (in a proper magazine, of course!)

There are a few really good threads on this already.
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=99...
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=81...
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=25...

I would also recommend checking out threads on NHN and CHP

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
Also search for CHP by Laboratory of Liptakov you can also check out their youtube channel
Katie
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2020 at 19:14

Thank you everyone for the replies and I apologize for the redundant thread. I’m new here and not used to working with search engines that don’t have all the magic that google has!
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 07:40

Where is the thread discussing silicone as an alternative to PIB for ETN... ? I think it was discussed recently.
FeedMe94
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-5-2020 at 05:55

Is there a way to remove impurities from SADS?
darolf26
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 03:48

Are there any usable primaries containing KClO3 ?
I heard of K3(CN)6Fe mixtures and Armstrong’s mix for insane guys.”, but are there any other.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 04:17

Quote: Originally posted by darolf26  
I heard of K3(CN)6Fe mixtures and Armstrong’s mix for insane guys.”, but are there any other.

I'm no EM expert but I do have some (negative) experience with Armstrong's mix.
My understanding is that chlorates are to be avoided. While they have historical significance, I believe in every application they have been hazardous and have been superceded by compounds that are less twitchy and perform better.

Someone more knowledgeable will be by soon to confirm or correct me.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 11:34

Quote: Originally posted by darolf26  

10% with mercury fulminate

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-6-2020 at 15:02
Explosive Storage

Is there a threaded dedicated to the storage of explosives and the likes of? Such as container designs and ideas on how to store multiple detonators. If not would there be and interest in starting one?
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-6-2020 at 18:52

Are there any good books that cover practical syntheses and applications of energetic materials? I've downloaded a few books but they're more general and academic in nature. They don't discuss practical considerations like weight ratios for AMMONAL and the importance of aluminum mesh sizes; PLX type energetics, etc.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2020 at 07:20

Quote: Originally posted by monolithic  
Are there any good books that cover practical syntheses and applications of energetic materials? I've downloaded a few books but they're more general and academic in nature. They don't discuss practical considerations like weight ratios for AMMONAL and the importance of aluminum mesh sizes; PLX type energetics, etc.

I second this. I was looking for some good books on this and some books, manuals or guides on fireworks from fire crackers to mortars to rockets. I'd be interested in all of them.
Belowzero
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-6-2020 at 07:27

Urbanski has lot of good info, in depth stuff.
Problem with many of the practical books is that they tend to lean towards cooking instead of science.

This is such an example: http://index-of.es/Miscellanous/Field%20Manufactured%20Explo...

Also a lot of material here: http://pyrobin.com/files.php

[Edited on 26-6-2020 by Belowzero]
 Pages:  1  ..  69    71    73  ..  78

Go To Top