Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  70    72    74  ..  78
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
aromaticfanatic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-10-2020 at 17:28

Quote: Originally posted by FeedMe94  
Is there any subreddit for energetic materials?

Yes my friends and I run one.

r/energetics
mekanochemical
Harmless

Mood: always under 7

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 06:37

hello, is it possible to synthetize cobalt and manganese nitrate from the oxides? I didnt find carbonates.

Thanks

Hue Hue Hue
Etanol
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 11:49

Is exists Cu acetylenide-nitrate? Bubnov "initiating explosives" written : under the action of acetylene on copper salts in acidic solutions, double compounds of acetylene with copper salts are formed.
Sorry, I don t find Thread with Acetylenides
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 13:59

Quote: Originally posted by mekanochemical  
hello, is it possible to synthetize cobalt and manganese nitrate from the oxides? I didnt find carbonates.

Thanks

Manganese nitrate is possible from the oxide not sure about cobalt.
Nurdrage did a good video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSIeCbv4jlM
For cobalt I think you could try nitric acid directly with oxide.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2021 at 00:50

Does anyone know of any research of urea condensation derivative explosives beyond biuret? Particularly triuret, tetrauret and pentauret? Nitrate salts, amines or perchlorates? I've looked, can't find anything. Closest I've found is mentions of tetra and penta in ag patents which only mention them as unwanted byproducts. I can't even locate methods to isolate them out of batch condensation. The only thing I've found related to separating is biuret, via solubility in H20

[Edited on 4-1-2021 by Hey Buddy]
Jome
Hazard to Others

Mood: desiccated

[*] posted on 4-1-2021 at 01:47

If I'm going to use CaCl2 to help separating an ester from remaining alchohol, will presence of MgCl2 have any negative effect? When I look for solubilities I find that with EtOH, both CaCl2 and MgCl2 are soluble, though MgCl2 less so.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2021 at 07:13

As far as I know "Calcium chloride combines with alcohols, phenols, amines, amino-acids, amides, ketones, and some aldehydes and esters, and thus cannot be used with these classes of compounds." (citation from Vogel).
See also https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/84921/why-cant...
So, why not MgSO4?
I tried to use CaCl2 for separation of n-butyl eTHer, but without success.

Some (most?) esters are not soluble in saturated NaCl but EtOH & MeOH are soluble.

[Edited on 4-1-2021 by teodor]
Jome
Hazard to Others

Mood: desiccated

[*] posted on 5-1-2021 at 01:56

I was referring to the use of CaCl2-solution specifically to remove remaining lower mw alcohols, like isopropyl and ethyl alcohol, like f.ex here

Sorry if I was unclear. There is for some unknown reason roughly half or so MgCl2 in the commonly avaliable "dehumidifier ball" powder bags in my little country, and it would be convenient not having to separate the CaCl2 from this, iff it'd work in procedures such as the above.
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-1-2021 at 20:06
ETN Smell

Can anyone describe what there ETN smells like? Mine after multiple washing and 2 recyst still has a slight vinegar odor to it when left in a sealed container, which makes me a bit uneasy. No noticeable signs of decompositions or fumes after several months tho.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 18-1-2021 at 06:04

Yes, pure ETN has slight smell always a like vinegar. After one year is smell a same. Without changes of properties. Very slightly smell, but yes, is there.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Jebby
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-3-2021 at 06:49

Anyone here know how an average Joe could get an explosives manufacturer permit or license? I have read federal laws and from my understanding you have to have an actual lab or warehouse and a catalog of what you make and how much. I only ask because I think energetic materials would be an awesome career to pursue, but if anyone here has experience that says otherwise I’m all ears.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2021 at 03:57

Jebby

You apply.... get to know the local agents
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 15-3-2021 at 13:16

In the US: The biggest concern seems to be keeping the product, precursors and preparation area under strict supervision and "good citizen" operators to prevent product leaving the factory/storage/authorized users. Technical competence 2nd.

Some substances are exempt under some (very small) quantity limits or have tiers of requirements. This changes from time to time.

Expect to need storage magazine built to spec. There's a pamphlet from ex-BATF. Walls, locks, doors, floors, etc. Also distance from habitations - can be many (50? more?) yards/meters and inspected every 3 days. Production area has other requirements. Both must either be in regular use or frequently inspected. Some agencies will accept remote video, etc. monitoring. Alarm systems have to meet requirements and opinions. Strict records of quantities in, out, used, destroyed. Some substances must be traced at gram level.

Personal Type 20 license for at least low (gunpowder, firework stars, etc) dunno what type for high exp. Requirements are online.

In the US expect Federal, State, and local supervision. Differs from state to state: some it's under fire marshal, some it's under police. Any of them can be very nice ----- until you mess up. They get very upset. Get letters from the agencies involved giving their opinions about your setup.

All this -can- be met with planning and care with simple and (relatively) inexpensive work areas. Check with fireworks clubs - they don't do high explosives but many of the legal requirements are the same.

Association with the New Mexico School of Mines would be a big plus. They do lots of research.

Canada varies by province. I expect some places it's impossible.
Europe? Probably more strict - finding a site with sufficient separation might be a problem.

Asia/S.America/Central Am/Mexico? no clue
krot
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-4-2021 at 13:13

Is it possible for a partial detonation to occur with ammonal (AN/AL) if too little booster is used? (ETN in my case)
P.S. I have planned 10 kg of ammonal
Johnny Cappone
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 08:42

Is the [Cu(NH3)3]+ ion also called tetraamminecopper? This would be the complex formed by ammonia and Cu (I).
I researched several sources and almost couldn't find anything about it, maybe it's just the cuprous tetramine complex and I'm just stupid.
By the way, in english are oxidation states pronounced as numerals? That is, can I pronounce Cu (II) as "copper two"?

outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 09:39

How can it be tetraminecopper as there are only three, not four amine groups?
Johnny Cappone
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 09:47

Quote: Originally posted by outer_limits  
How can it be tetraminecopper as there are only three, not four amine groups?

I realized this right after posting, but I was too lazy to point out my reasoning failure and hoped that no one would notice (a silly hope, given the number of skilled chemists here). However, my doubt still persists. What is this complex called? Triamminecopper?

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 09:49

Quote: Originally posted by Johnny Cappone  
Is the [Cu(NH3)3]+ ion also called tetraamminecopper? This would be the complex formed by ammonia and Cu (I).
I researched several sources and almost couldn't find anything about it, maybe it's just the cuprous tetramine complex and I'm just stupid.
By the way, in english are oxidation states pronounced as numerals? That is, can I pronounce Cu (II) as "copper two"?

If you react ammonia with Cu(I), I'm pretty sure you get [Cu(NH3)2]+, diamminecopper(I) ions.
And, yes, they are pronounced as numerals, so copper(II) chloride is pronounced copper-two chloride. When you're typing it, there's no space between the copper and the bracket, so it's copper(II), not copper (II) or copper ( ii ).

Yes, I teach intro chemistry- how did you guess?

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Johnny Cappone
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 10:40

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
If you react ammonia with Cu(I), I'm pretty sure you get [Cu(NH3)2]+, diamminecopper(I) ions.
And, yes, they are pronounced as numerals, so copper(II) chloride is pronounced copper-two chloride. When you're typing it, there's no space between the copper and the bracket, so it's copper(II), not copper (II) or copper ( ii ).

Yes, I teach intro chemistry- how did you guess?

Thank you, Draconic Acid!
I have been reading some literature on copper acetylide recently. An ammoniacal solution of a cuprous salt - typically, chloride - is often used in the synthesis of this compound (or as a test for the presence of acetylene). Some doubts arose and, among them, the name of the complex formed was the only one that I was unable to answer alone. Thank you again!

Johnny Cappone
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-4-2021 at 20:33

What is the role of oxygen and other oxidizing agents in the oxidation of CuCl to CuCl2?

Today I experimented with cuprous chloride emulsions in water and, at one point, reacted this solution with hydrogen peroxide. As expected, H2O2 was decomposed with a large production of O2 and the whitish CuCl solution turned green, indicating the formation of CuCl2. I started to think about it.

I know that: CuCl <--> CuCl2 + Cu.

But I can't figure out how oxygen could help with that. In addition, I was wondering if peroxide promotes oxidation as a compound (H2O2) or if it is just a convenient source of oxygen when it is decomposed by copper, with the gaseous oxygen produced being responsible for the oxidation.

Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2021 at 09:48
pyrochemsource.com

Has anyone here used pyrochemsource.com?

I am about to place a pretty big order with them and was wondering if anyone has used them before. It looks fine, but I just wanted to check before I ordered. So does anyone have good/bad experiences with them?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2021 at 11:09

You can try small testing order. It seems they have all. It seems a like dream for any researcher...:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2021 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by Elemental Phosphorus  

I am about to place a pretty big order with them and was wondering if anyone has used them before. It looks fine, but I just wanted to check before I ordered. So does anyone have good/bad experiences with them?

It looks like they are OK. They seem to also have an Amazon store:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Pyro+Chem+Source&ref=bl_dp_s_...

I also saw posts about the company going back at least 6 years, so I'm assuming it's legit. I didn't find any bad reviews or claims of a scam site. Their domain is almost 10 years old as well.

From everything I'm seeing, I think you will be safe ordering from them.
Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 11:02

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
Quote: Originally posted by Elemental Phosphorus  

It looks like they are OK. They seem to also have an Amazon store:
https://www.amazon.com/sk=Pyro+Chem+Source&ref=bl_dp_s_w...

I also saw posts about the company going back at least 6 years, so I'm assuming it's legit. I didn't find any bad reviews or claims of a scam site. Their domain is almost 10 years old as well.

From everything I'm seeing, I think you will be safe ordering from them.

Well, today I just received my order from them, 7 pounds of different chemicals. It arrived on time, well packed and in a surprisingly compact container. The chemicals are packed in thick plastic bags, and they come in 2 of them. Here’s a photo of about half of the order:

80237284-C74E-4824-A255-C0C787E0E4BB.jpeg - 2.2MB

Edit: Also, I picked up that barium carbonate since it's a basic barium salt. Now that I have perchlorates I can prepare some perchloric acid and then make some barium perchlorate. I was intrigued by Laboratory of Liptakov's barium perchlorate primary, so with any luck I'll be able to do that experiment soon.

[Edited on 1-5-2021 by Elemental Phosphorus]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-5-2021 at 12:28

Barium perchlorate can be not reliable as primary. Was tested only a few attempts. Of course, interesting salt. But when you have NH4ClO4, you can do it easy TACP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOZfhwKHjg
It is reliable as primary. 1:1 with ETN works always. In solid cavity. TACP has OB + 14,5 on CO2. Therefore can be added some quality fuel. Especially hexamine. And arises popular CHP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F94UpYRczkc
CHP is primary and secondary 2 in 1. Has easy DDT from hot wire up to speed 7500m/s. And detonation pressure 25 GPa. Enough big pressure for starting any secondary material. Pure cast ETN has 31 GPa. But without easy DDT.
Any way, if you have NH4ClO4, you have fun for months and maybe years. It is a completely universal salt..Easy color flames of all colors, minimal smoke, differents salts with metals.
With NH4ClO4 is easy anything...:cool:

Pages:  1  ..  70    72    74  ..  78

Go To Top