Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Sodium Borohydride from chinese supplier
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 24-10-2013 at 18:07

I'm going to get back to everyone ASAP. I just REALLY want to verify the quality of this before I start shipping things out, I'm pretty confident it's going to be good though, based on what I've seen so far. I plan on picking up the I2 tomorrow morning and performing the titration in the evening. I've just had a few exams this week so I'm a bit pressed for time. Those of you who are interested please feel free to send me a U2U. Meaning ONE if at all possible, I promise you'll get a reply soon.
Some estimates:
1kg for $200 +shipping
500g for $120 +shipping
100g for $45 +shipping
50g for $30 +shipping
Larger than that and we can probably work something out.
That's significantly cheaper than anything I was able to find, but still enough for it to be worthwhile for me to do this. Fair enough?

And I'll add that I ship from Michigan, so if you need an estimate to decide if it's worthwhile you can go look yourself now:P. It'll have to use UPS or Fedex, it's illegal to ship via USPS. So don't even ask.
I'm still debating on international, it's gonna be damn expensive to ship and I'm not sure how much customs will like it. Sounds like a headache waiting to happen. If you have any good ideas or experience let me know. False customs declaration is a crime, and a stupid one to attempt in the US. I'm not looking for any trouble, I'm nervous enough as it is just selling it legally.
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-10-2013 at 11:03

Good News! The assay went pretty damn well. I elected to preform a comparative analysis instead of a straight-up quantitative, simply because I'm rather clumsy and I had a fresh bottle of reliably sourced NaBH4 at hand. This made endpoint a much simpler process because I could just pick an endpoint color.

100g Na2S2O3*5H2O was used to create 1L of aqueous solution for titration.
100mg (up to 103mg but no more, and no less than 100mg) NaBH4 x4
-2x chinese
-one from the Chemsavers bottle
-one 50:50 mix of the two

Each sample was dissolved in 10mL of 10% KOH and added via pasteur pipette to 2.70-2.72g I2 (couldn't get them exactly even but it all got factored in). NaBH4 containers were washed with a small amount of base solution which was added to the reaction (2mL x 2).
After a neat reduction reaction small excess conc. HCL was added, (few mL's per tube, same to each one)
Titrated against thiosulfate solution white-green endpoint (pretty sure this is actually thiosulfate and HCl, therefore the comparison instead of molar calculation. Didn't stop to consider that when I initally added the HCl, woops.)
Endpoints were reached all well within 1mL of each other.
So less than (100/248.18)*.001*.5 = 0.0002015 moles I2 difference. Much of this was accounted for by the difference in iodine samples, 0.01 / 354 = 0.0000393 moles per 0.01g difference.
This NaBH4 appears to be equivalent in quality to that of my 99% Chemsavers sample.
The given assay is 98+% which I am now inclined to believe.
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 14:02

Can't edit my last post and there was a small typo, should be 0.01 / 254 not 354, but the answer was still correct.
I'd also like to add that if you're interested please give me some idea of where you live if you're expecting a shipping estimate.
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 11:32

Some questions I've answered a few times:
I'm willing to ship to Canada.
I'm open to trades for lab equipment and/or chemicals. Actually, I would love to trade.
International orders overseas will be considered case-by-case. But expect at least ~$50 for shipping alone, couriers are expensive.
Erbium_Iodine_Carbon
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2013 at 07:51

I can confirm that he will ship to Canada. I received my package of 250g yesterday in good condition. I've yet to test it, but it looks legitimate: a white, free-flowing crystalline powder. I'll also note that it got through customs without a problem.
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 13:16

I have placed my order so I will wait an see.I must say though, if the item comes as expected and pocesses the determined purity all I can say to FWOOSH is

thank you thank you thank you!!!
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 18:57
Status Update

Hey everyone, sent U2U's to all pending orders but I thought I should post in here.
I ran into some issues with Fedex's billing department late last week and was in a car accident yesterday, so I'm experiencing some delays in getting everything shipped out. The billing issues have been resolved and I'm getting a rental tomorrow morning so I'm going to push to have everything dropped off with Fedex tomorrow morning. I'd like to add that I'm always willing to give a refund if there's a delay like this, I don't think it'll be necessary but just thought that should be put out there.

Thanks everyone for being so patient, this is starting to go faster than I anticipated.

Edit: Alright, back on track! Everything's out except one package that's gotta wait till tomorrow. Tracking numbers sent to everyone and I can take more orders again. :D
Thought I should add I do have an ebay account, but the prices are higher to accommodate for eBay's fees, I've been putting some small listings up auction style every once in a while though to build up feedback.

[Edited on 14-11-2013 by *FWOOSH*]
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 15-11-2013 at 16:46

My bottle just showed up - thanks! :D

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
MichiganMadScientist
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-11-2013 at 16:44

I actually just completed an in-person transaction with individual (since we live near each other). Everything went great. I traded him a hotplate/stirrer in exchange for some NaBH4.

I love the internet. :-)
hive3
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 06:26

I successfully purchased from this user. There was a shipping issue and it was corrected satisfactorily.
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

biggrin.gif posted on 5-12-2013 at 17:47

Just received mine, initial tests are all good, and he even compensated me with a bit extra for just a slight delay in shipping :) Thanks SO Much FWOOSH, if you figure out what else you will import next, U2U me :D

For those iffy about it, it's legit and no BS here.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
Mr_Magnesium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 00:57

mhmm sodium borohydride, seems that it isn't too difficult to find in Australia

[Edited on 11-12-2013 by Mr_Magnesium]
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 20:35

I am no longer shipping to Canada. Had an order play a vanishing act at the border twice now, out of nowhere. Several others have made it without issue but it's just not worth the extra hassle and paperwork only to have the damn thing disappear, disappear again after reshipping at my own expense, and then probably having to issue a refund on top of that.
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 14:12

Quote: Originally posted by Mr_Magnesium  
mhmm sodium borohydride, seems that it isn't too difficult to find in Australia

could you please elaborate?

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 13-12-2013 at 19:25

Quote: Originally posted by *FWOOSH*  
I am no longer shipping to Canada. Had an order play a vanishing act at the border twice now, out of nowhere. Several others have made it without issue but it's just not worth the extra hassle and paperwork only to have the damn thing disappear, disappear again after reshipping at my own expense, and then probably having to issue a refund on top of that.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that.

Packages shouldn't just disappear like that. Maybe it takes 2 extra weeks or a month, or you get a "love letter" saying it was confiscated.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 10:02

@mr.crow
I'm not to happy about it myself, I was at least expecting a notice of seizure, etc. But two packages just vanished into "clearance delay" indefinitely and Fedex can't find them.

Just letting everyone know, I've got ~10kg left.

I also have some TLC plates that I just got in for sale.
They're 5x20cm plates (quite large) with fluorescent indicator and glass backing.
1 box of 100 full 5x20cm plates - $100 + shipping
50 plates - $60 + shipping
25 plates - $35 + shipping
10 plates - $20 + shipping
5 plates - $10 + shipping

Shipping shouldn't be too bad because I can send them via USPS. I can definitely send these internationally too.

[Edited on 5-1-2014 by *FWOOSH*]
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-1-2014 at 10:28

HOLY SHIT!! I'M OUT!!!:o:o:o

Someone just emptied me out, I'm going to order more because it appears there's significant interest still. I'm going to try to nab a couple other chems as well, I'll let y'all know.
Kapitan
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-1-2014 at 18:38

Aw, damn. I was just about to buy some, too. Well, I'll snag some on the next go-round.
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-1-2014 at 16:17

I do actually have a little left. I was planning on hanging onto a kilo but I suppose I could sell a couple more 50-250g bottles.
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

biggrin.gif posted on 11-3-2014 at 23:30
Round Two... FIGHT

Howdy everyone! It took a while but I'm finally getting another shipment.

25kg NaBH4

AND 2kg LiAlH4!

Should be finalized within a week and arrive within a week or two of that. I'll need to figure out pricing on the LiAlH4 when it's not 3am.

Took longer than I wanted it to because I've had a number of personal and family issues that had me strapped for time and finances. And THEN my vendor wanted to stop taking PayPal so I had to go dig up someone else.

I trust this vendor, they have a good reputation and gave no problems with accepting paypal. But I can titrate this batch in a similar manner to the last one if there are any concerns about purity.
The NaBH4 is listed at >=98%
LiAlH4 listed at >=97%

EDIT:
Here's some preliminary pricing on the LiAlH4:
1kg - $500 + S/H
500g - $280 + S/H
250g - $175 + S/H
100g - $80 + S/H
50g - $45 + S/H
25g - $25 + S/H
Shipping by fedex again for these lovelies.

[Edited on 12-3-2014 by *FWOOSH*]
Mr_Magnesium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 06:27

Nice FWOOSH!

USA so no shipping to Aus :(

We are always left out.
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 11:22

You can blame your incredibly anal customs agents for that, no way am I going to try shipping something to Australia that I can't even reliably get to people in Canada :P.
Maybe someday I'll get certified to send this kind of stuff by air, but until then I'd like to stay out of prison :D

[Edited on 12-3-2014 by *FWOOSH*]
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

thumbup.gif posted on 12-3-2014 at 16:44

I would just like to add some positive feedback for FWOOSH, just in case anybody has any doubts. Good prices, good service/communication, good business. I haven't tested the borohydride yet, but I am confident that it is as advertised.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 18:52

Nice! LiAlH4

This stuff is much more dangerous and difficult to store. I think they put it in plastic bags to prevent hydrogen pressure from building up.

Aw I cant get any in Canada :(

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-3-2014 at 05:46

They don't just put it in plastic bags, they seal it in iron tins. :o
I think this serves a dual purpose of keeping out all moisture and avoiding accidents during overseas shipping
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top