Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Sodium Borohydride from chinese supplier
thanos thanatos
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2014 at 09:22

Fwoosh -

Seeing as how it is shipped in a sealed can (which is also the way I have received it in the past), how are you planning on repackaging the LiAlH4?
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

Mood: manic

[*] posted on 19-3-2014 at 17:37

I was planning on using a carefully sealed HDPE container under argon inside a secondary bag inside a box. Keeping it within the Continental US and only via ground shipping means that it will be exposed to a lot less wear and tear than the trip all the way from china.
If you look around I think you'll find that many vendors (Sigma-Aldrich for example) will send it in a simple sealed plastic bag for smaller quantities.
I think a solid HDPE bottle is much safer than a bag and should be quite sufficient for domestic purposes.
MyNameIsUnnecessarilyLong
Hazard to Self

cool.gif posted on 19-3-2014 at 18:32

How'd that sponge iron work out for you?
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-3-2014 at 15:52

I haven't actually had the chance to use it yet:P, thanks for that though! It arrived very quickly and well packed. I need it to use as a reducing agent in a couple projects I have coming up.
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 17:28

NaBH4 arrived today! This time I actually got a 25kg Drum! It's pretty cool. The 1kg sacks were nice though, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to get this packaged up. :mad:

I'll post the prices here again for people who don't want to read the entire thread:

NaBH4: All shipping via Fedex Ground, usually ~$10
1kg for $200 +shipping
500g for $120 +shipping
250g for $85 +shipping
100g for $45 +shipping
50g for $30 +shipping

Glass Backed TLC plates w/Fluorescent Indicator
Shipping via USPS, cheap!
1 box of 100 full 5x20cm plates - $100 + shipping
50 plates - $60 + shipping
25 plates - $35 + shipping
10 plates - $20 + shipping
5 plates - $10 + shipping

preliminary pricing on the LiAlH4:
1kg - $500 + S/H
500g - $280 + S/H
250g - $175 + S/H
100g - $80 + S/H
50g - $45 + S/H
25g - $25 + S/H
Shipping by fedex again for these lovelies.
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 08:31

FWOOSH,

what arrived today, isn't what you ordered 5 months ago is it? That would be an incredibly long time to wait... so I hope you didn't have to go through that. I've found that once you find a good chinese supplier, they're usually good all around, and can source many things, depending on who they are. Really is a relief once you find out they're not scamming you.
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 09:44

No, not at all haha. I ran out and had to place a new order. It arrived within a week of payment being sent. :o
I've found the same to be true, they're generally good all around if they're not running a scam from the start.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 12:46

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know about how stable sodium borohydride is in a tightly closed container sealed with electrical tape or the like? About how long is it before it becomes unusable?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 13:02

I have used bottles of many reducing agents (NaBH4, LAH, NaCNBH3) that are 5-10 years old with success. As long as their is no visible degradation, and they have been sealed between uses, they will keep several years if kept dry. A desiccator helps also. But if you see visible changes, like clumping in NaCNBH3, that is usually a sign that they are going bad. Solids are typically MUCH more stable than solutions or liquids, especially if in volatile solvents.

Many chemists simply use a larger excess for older chemicals. There are some cases where you want to do something tricky, like reduce only one of two functional groups, or control sterochemistry, where fresh/good reagents are critical. but if you have a simple reduction, there is little risk of older reagents. You can always tritrate them if worried, and that is what most chemists do for critical cases, like using BuLi or other bases. I would guess that NaBH4 could easily last 5 years in good shape if kept dry (sealed bottle, even better if placed inside a larger container with some drying agent).

I have even just used Dryrite bottles as mini-desiccators in some cases). That works pretty well. Also, if anyone wants a small spiffy metal (paint type) can to store chemicals in, I have a few empty ones that reagents came in, mostly about pint sized.

[Edited on 31-3-2014 by Dr.Bob]
Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 15:29

Dr Bob,

You mentioned using an empty paint can for storage. Do you, or anyone else, know of a source for new paint cans? I think that getting some pint, quart, and gallon cans would be a wonderful idea.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 17:59

A lot of paint stores sell them for small color batches. You can also order them online, I think, just google paint cans. If you buy anything from me, I can throw in a few for free, I get chemicals over-packed in them occasionally. (When they pack the bottle (in a box) in a can, which is in a box, sometimes inside another box.) Mostly I have a few pint or quart size ones.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/AutoBodyDepot/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemN...

*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 22:10

Thanks for the tip on the cans, I might look for some for the LAH if I can find enough of them in the right size ranges for a decent price.
*FWOOSH*
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 12:16

My 3kg of LAH arrived last week. Hoping to get all pending orders out tonight and will be able to accept more soon. Please be advised that I may take a week or two to get your package to you if something comes up, I don't think I've been as clear as I should have been about that.

The majority of the LAH is either already sold or spoken for :o but if you get to me soon there will probably be some left still.
etzal
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 08:37

Anybody heard anything from fwoosh anymore? It's been almost a month since he apologised to me by u2u for not having send out my order yet, and I still didn't receive anything, nor did I see him online here since 26th of april.
Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 08:54

I am in the same boat. I hate to say it, but it is beginning to look like a scam. :(
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 11:24

Bullshit, out of the blue he decides to scam people when all was fine and dandy for weeks?
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 13:20

Quote: Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve  
Bullshit, out of the blue he decides to scam people when all was fine and dandy for weeks?

Umm why would you say that's bullshit? This is exactly how scams work. Lure everyone with a few legitimate sales, then once you have everyone trusting you, and people have giving you their money, you fuck off and nobody sees or hears of you again.
I'm not saying he's fake, there might be a real reason he wasn't able to get online. I'm just saying just because he honestly sold stuff last time isn't proof that he isn't a conman.
Of course if he is full of shit, I'll bet he'll make a new account and try the same stunt. If such a situation does occur, the admins can track his IP address so he'll likely get found out. And he'll certainly read this thread, so he might decide not to try at all, or go to a different computer/location.

[Edited on 11-5-2014 by Zyklonb]

Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 17:08

BTW, what form of payment did people use? I used WU, so I have a name and a GENERAL location.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 17:21

He hasn't been online since April 26, he said he was attending university so he might just be busy dealing with studying for final exams. I know I am.:(
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 19:03

I don't know Fwoosh, but I do know that I have had times when I was swamped with stuff, messages, or orders, also times when I had a hard time getting a hold of buyers. Even on Amazon, I have had people not respond to my messages due to spam filters or whatever.

I would try to be a little more patient, and if anyone has used paypal, you should have an email address associated with the payment. Try sending a message to that one. If all else fails, you should be able to make a claim if you bought via Paypal.
Weinreb
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 13:43

It has been a few months now, has anyone else heard anything from fwoosh recently?
Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 13:59

Unfortunately, no. I hate to admit it, but I was scammed by him. :(
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 14:28

That really sucks, Burner :(. I had a really good rapport with *FWOOSH*. I think others did, too. It makes me more inclined to think that maybe something bad happened. I hope they are not hurt. How much money did you lose? Did anybody else have a loss on this?

[Edited on 11-6-2014 by Crowfjord]
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 17:22

Mine arrived OK.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 17:49

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddite Cheese  
Mine arrived OK.

Was that from the first round or the second round?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top