Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dense AN prills, booster needed?
golfpro
Banned

Mood: Cap Sensitive

[*] posted on 16-10-2013 at 16:10
Dense AN prills, booster needed?

I have AN in the form of tiny prills, these are dense, I like the idea of keeping them prills because then I don't have to worry about moisture absorption too much. If I have 600g of Ammonal, and the ratio is 90:10 with the aluminum powder coating the prills, could this be detonated with a regular cap? A 5g pressed ETN booster? a 30g cast ETN booster needed?

Remember these prills are fairly dense, and I kind of knew that powdered Ammonal is for sure cap sensitive, especially at lower density, but my first thought is that the AN in prill form would need more of a shock, especially if the prills are dense which they are.

Somewhere I read lighter, less dense AN prills (and a fuel, aluminum) outperform dense AN and a fuel??

I have never detonated any AN compositions, I've mostly just done small amounts of ETN and RDX.

Of course I could just experiment, but the AN is expensive, I don't want to just scatter it all over the ground.

[Edited on 17-10-2013 by golfpro]
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 09:41

Quote: Originally posted by golfpro  
I have AN in the form of tiny prills, these are dense, I like the idea of keeping them prills because then I don't have to worry about moisture absorption too much. If I have 600g of Ammonal, and the ratio is 90:10 with the aluminum powder coating the prills, could this be detonated with a regular cap? A 5g pressed ETN booster? a 30g cast ETN booster needed?

get a coffee mill.....~15bucks...easy to handle, up to airfloating fine powder (at really dry AN) you will just need the 5g ETN Booster...with prills i would go for 30 and even then, im not sure if its works (getting full detonation)

Somewhere I read lighter, less dense AN prills (and a fuel, aluminum) outperform dense AN and a fuel??

i read that too, but im not sure about that...fine powdered explosives can much better react with each other...especially when you re using some binary explosive (like Ammonal is) that NEED to react to each other to full detonate....when the AN prills are not able th absorb the fuel (cause of high dense)...youre fucked

Of course I could just experiment, but the AN is expensive, I don't want to just scatter it all over the ground.

...then spend the 15 bucks;)

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: fixed BBCode]

[Edited on 17.10.13 by bfesser]
golfpro
Banned

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 11:11

I figure that with enough booster and with the material fully evenly mixed (the prills are coated with the aluminum), the booster can pulverise the prills and detonate.

I was thinking maybe a 40g cast ETN booster would do the job plenty, but at the time I only have 6g of ETN left, so I would have to make more.

BTW, I want to try my rubberized RDX (20g) but I don't have much idea of how loud this would be? I know how loud 4g of pressed ETN is. how would that compare?

[Edited on 17-10-2013 by golfpro]
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 11:26

95% AN with 5% 5 micron Al will detonate from anything able to produce a shock wave in excess of 2000 ft/s.
golfpro
Banned

[*] posted on 17-10-2013 at 12:07

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
95% AN with 5% 5 micron Al will detonate from anything able to produce a shock wave in excess of 2000 ft/s.

Even in prill form? I think I remember a video a cold pack being opened and mixed with some Al powder and then shot with a rifle and it exploded..
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2013 at 01:43

I do it all the time for target practice. I'm lazy, I don't want to walk to the target every time just to see If I hit or not. When it goes boom, you know you hit the target. Prilled works just fine.

Go To Top