Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hobbyist lab setup
kt5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Final exams

[*] posted on 29-10-2013 at 11:24
Hobbyist lab setup

I have been tinkering with chemistry for a year or so and am trying to get a decent home lab put together. I have a background in mathematics and computer science, but I find the chemistry stuff really exciting. I have some basic 24/40 glassware and have been collecting reagents as I find them available at the hardware store and such. I'm going to try making some more reagents from what I have on hand.

As I'm buying glassware and reagents, I'm concerned about law enforcement getting the wrong idea. If they ever came knocking on my door, I assume I could simply explain that I'm a hobbyist, offer to show them the lab equipment and chemicals, and they'd be on their way. (I'd prefer that to the kick down my door and injure my children method that I'm reading about more and more)

Are there any chemicals or glassware that I should absolutely avoid buying or having on hand?

So far, I've collected these reagents:

Hydrochloric acid
Sulfuric acid
91% IPA
~98% Ethanol
Acetone
Copper(II) Sulfate
H2O2
Sodium Bicarbonate
Ammonium Sulfate
Urea
Magnesium sulfate
Copper(I) oxide
Sodium chloride
Sodium hydroxide

Thanks for the advice.. This board is great.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 29-10-2013 at 11:43

Chemicals: Red phosphorus, iodine, nitromethane?, ephedrine, and any relation to a drug precursor (these should be relatively easy to avoid).
Glassware: Depends. In Texas, they can fine you just for owning a beaker, but I think other states are much more lax.

Watch out for that sodium chloride, though - they hate that.

[Edited on 10-29-2013 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
kt5000
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-10-2013 at 12:02

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  

Watch out for that sodium chloride, though - they hate that.

Suppose I shouldn't have grabbed that bag of pretzels for lunch :P
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 16:31

I'm curious - what was your source for the Copper (I) Oxide?

Also, 98% Ethanol? Do you live where everclear is legal? I'm not aware of any other common source of distilled, non-denatured Ethanol.

golfpro
Banned

Mood: Cap Sensitive

[*] posted on 30-10-2013 at 17:45

You should be OK w/ those, watch out for nitric acid though in large amounts
kt5000
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2013 at 11:00

Quote: Originally posted by Artemus Gordon  
I'm curious - what was your source for the Copper (I) Oxide?

Also, 98% Ethanol? Do you live where everclear is legal? I'm not aware of any other common source of distilled, non-denatured Ethanol.

The Copper (I) Oxide was collected as a byproduct of making the Copper (II) Sulfate. I did electrolysis in 33% sulfuric acid with copper electrodes. It made the aqueous solution of Cu(II) Sulfate and the Copper(I) Oxide grew on one of the electrodes. Whichever side generated oxygen, I assume.

In retrospect, the ethanol is probably closer to 90%. I started with vodka, as a cheap source of 40% ethanol without methanol content and distilled. I think ethanol and water form an azeotrope at about 94%.
kt5000
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2013 at 11:07

Quote: Originally posted by golfpro  
You should be OK w/ those, watch out for nitric acid though in large amounts

Nitric acid is one that I have wanted to add to the collection. I read something recently about making it using sulfuric acid and a nitrate compound.

Why is it bad to possess in large amounts, and what constitutes a large amount? I would never have a need for more than about 500ml.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-11-2013 at 11:25

The DEA website would be a good place to start. That's only for America, of course. Note such innocuous items as the elements iodine and red phosphorus, as well as acetone and hydrochloric acid. Just about everybody has the latter two in their garage, so it's a little ridiculous. I had found a chart that included amounts, but can't seem to find it again. I have a printout at home that I'll take a look at. IIRC, the "levels of concern" for List II items were in the tens of gallons.

I think if you can reasonably explain your hobby (and the people asking are reasonable people) you should be in no trouble at all. Of course, this all depends on how draconian your area is. I've built up enough of a reputation in my area to enjoy some peace of mind. My neighborhood knows me as "the scientist," I run a YouTube channel with lots of subscribers, and I do science outreach as part of my job. This all justifies why I have unusual chemicals at home.
kt5000
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2013 at 14:07

Thanks MrHomeScientist.. I'm USA here also.

The goal of the DEA's mandatory reporting program seems to be identifying individuals obtaining bulk chemicals, not necessarily from the same supplier, to give them leads on drug production. I seriously doubt I'll ever need to buy enough of something to end up on that list.

My concern is a misunderstanding, I suppose. My wife keeps telling me to start a youtube channel :) Perhaps that would help.

Go To Top