Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: C-4 based with ETN
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 01:10
C-4 based with ETN

I was wondering if it is possible to manufacture a C-4 like explosive but based with ETN

The C-4 comp is

R. D. X. 91.0 %
Polyisobutylene 2.1 %
Motor Oil 1.6 %
Di-(2-ethylhexy) sebecate 5.3 %

So what about

E.T.N. 91.0 %
Polyisobutylene 2.1 %
Motor Oil 1.6 %
Di-(2-ethylhexy) sebecate 5.3 %
Ral123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 02:11

Oh absolutely, but...
In case of:

ETN/RDX
Fire: detonates/ low risk
Gun shot: detonates/ low risk
Transport accident: detonates/ low risk
Handling: dizziness/ cancer
Poor storage: extreme hazard/unfriendly waste
Warm weather: molten blob/ -----
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 02:49

It seems the disadvantage might be the sensitivity.

The positive oxygen balance seems to be a advantage but I am not sure if it could increase the performance. Apparantly reading Dany's post, http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=25892

the extra oxygen might not contribute to vod.

Blue Matter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Optimus

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 02:49

A very long time ago I saw something on high explosive forum I believe someone was experimenting with different wood putty? supposedly it was working very well with him i think it was around a 25-75 ratio of putty to etn, might be worth a try.

Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 04:34

many people due to Hollywood film maker and years of sales propaganda think that C-4 plastic explosive is many time more powerful than for example TNT or other explosive, a block of C-4 will blew up an entire building :)

well, when you compare RDX and C-4 performance data you will prefer to work with RDX:

1-theoretical maximum density: RDX (1.81 g/cm3) vs C-4 (1.67 g/cm3) however, C-4 is sold @ nominal density of 1.58-1.62 g/cm3.

2-Detonation velocity Dcj: RDX (8.7 km/s @ 1.77 g/cm3) vs C-4 (8.04 @ 1.59 g/cm3).

3-Detonation pressure Pcj: RDX (338 kbar @ 1.77 g/cm3) vs C-4 (257 @ 1.59 g/cm3).

4- Gurney characteristic velocity √2E (which is an indicative of metal accelerating ability of a given explosives): RDX (2.93 km/s (measured) @ 1.76-1.77 g/cm3) vs C-4 (2.69-2.72 (predicted) @ 1.66 g/cm3).

Note that Gurney characteristic velocity of C-4 is calculated @ 1.66 g/cm3 which is not found in industrial C-4 as already cited above (C-4 is sold @ nominal density of 1.58-1.62 g/cm3) so √2E of real C-4 is even lower than 2.69-2.72 km/s.

As we can see RDX outperform C-4. Yes, C-4 is less impact sensitive and easy to handle but for an amateur who synthesis explosive for scientific curiosity it is not that big deal to make C-4. RDX pressed @ high density will do the job. The same thing apply to ETN.

all information can be found in LLNL Explosives Handbook-Properties of Chemical Explosives and explosive simulants (rev.2-1985)

the predicted Gurney characteristic velocity is from Propellants, Explos., Pyrotech. 33, No. 4, 316 – 320.

Dany.

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by Dany]
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 04:46

So melting and casting ETN into blocks should be better ?
Can we add some AL to increase the performance - OB to molten ETN ?
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 05:18

Quote:
So melting and casting ETN into blocks should be better ?

. . . If you're after the Darwin Award, yes!
Sensitivity increases with temperature and for ETN sensitivity at its melting point will be such that the slightest jarring might 'set it off"!

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 05:28

If you can control the crystallization process after ETN has been molted, yes you will be able to achieve near theoretical maximum density charge. However casting explosive is not simply molting the explosive and let the charge to cool. if the cooling process is not controlled the charge will suffer from many voids and inhomogeneous density for the following reason:

When trinitrotoluene is casted cooling is performed so all the mass is solidified at once. If you melt TNT and let the charge to cool in an ordinary mold a temperature gradient in the charge will be established, this mean the charge will be cooler at periphery and hotter at the center and thus the solidification began at the periphery while the center is still liquid. This phenomenon has a dramatic effect on the explosive shape because as the explosive mass cool it will solidify and shrink and finally when all is solid a hole will be crated in the center of the charge. This what we call piping (for mor information see ENGINEERING DESIGN HANDBOOK. EXPLOSIVES SERIES. EXPLOSIVE TRAINS, section 10.2 (Casting) http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/777482.pdf

see also this paper for new techniques in explosive casting and controlled solidification:

http://www.ndt.net/article/wcndt2008/papers/104.pdf

I do not recommend at all to cast ETN or other explosive at home. Casting of explosive is generally done in isolated building. The casting process is monitored with camera and remote control device. According to my knowledge adding aluminium to ETN in liquid state has not been tested. Generally before making any explosive composition scientist make a DSC (Differential Scanning Calorimetry) to see if the addition of for example aluminium will depress the decomposition temperature of ETN. This will be very clear on the DSC thermogram, you will see a positive peak called exotherm when decomposition start. by comparing the exotherm temperature of pure ETN and that of ETN/Aluminium one can deduce if aluminium has effect on thermal properties of ETN and hence the safety. Also, introducing solid particle to explosive composition can increase sensitivity because this small Aluminium particle can act as a Hot Spot centers where the shock wave energy is concentrated and where the chemical reaction starts, so this also must be tested by for example the Gap test.

Dany.
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 07:29

I was wondering if there is somewhere any source of Polyisobutylene / Di-(2-ethylhexy) sebecate from scratch...
Simbani
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 08:19

Fuck off.
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 09:52

Quote: Originally posted by Dany  
many people due to Hollywood film maker and years of sales propaganda think that C-4 plastic explosive is many time more powerful than for example TNT or other explosive, a block of C-4 will blew up an entire building :)

what the hell are you talking about? i ve been watching Die Hard and Willis threw around 4 pounds C4 in an elevator shaft and nerly the whole building explodes...so are they lieing on me?

*trollface.jpg* :D
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2013 at 10:38

@Dany
I'm not convinced maximum density industrial C4 will show less bisance then hand pressed RDX. In another topic you say that watering material can increase velocity at the same energy density. I suspect C4 is can be even more brisant then EGDN/NC volume basis. I wonder if there are special HMX, CL20, DDF-"C4"?
Blue Matter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Optimus

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 09:30

I have been reading the patents needed to Polyisobutylene and it seems very unlikely any home chemist could be able to produce them.

The_Davster
A pnictogen
Thread Split
2-11-2013 at 16:38
Melmoth
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 04:29

Polyisobutylene (PIB) is just butyl rubber.. Found in gloves and the like. Probably just dissolve in toluene?

"This species has amused itself to death"
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 02:55

Quote: Originally posted by Melmoth  
Polyisobutylene (PIB) is just butyl rubber.. Found in gloves and the like. Probably just dissolve in toluene?

What about that:

DOA also is used to produce clear films for food packaging applications (according to wikipedia) So if we could obtain those 2 ingredients and dissolve them with some ETN and motor oil may we could make some c4 ETN based exposive, it sounds really good... And the ETN's positive OB may result into an explosive better that C4 or at least, equivalent

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by underground]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 03:13

infact dany, the smart thing about plasticizing RDX is that it easily reaches 1.5g/cm3 where its only possible to press RDX to around 1g/cm3 (golfpro also talked about this, in the threads he got banned from, lols)

anyhow i do agree, plasticizing is just fun to play around with but not more powerful, only practical to people who dont wanna spend time making container and all for their charge..

also NC/ETN wettened with abit of acetone should work, but would need to be kept in a plastic bag or piece of aluminium foil to stay slightly wet, but still has the well feeling of a plastique, also it doesnt really decrease much of its properties, supposing acetone wont down its properties, not entirely sure tho

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 04:14

What about mixing ETN with flour and nitromethane to form a dough consistency ?
Or replace the NM with water, do the necessary calculations to have a zero OB and add as necessary / less as possible flour and water for plasticize, what you think, will that work ?

Unfortunately acetone evaporates really quickly

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by underground]
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-11-2013 at 04:29

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
infact dany, the smart thing about plasticizing RDX is that it easily reaches 1.5g/cm3 where its only possible to press RDX to around 1g/cm3

The problem that you and golfpro are talking about something that i didn't get any proof for its correctness. The impossibility of pressing (by an amateur) RDX beyond 1g/cm3 should be prooved with measurement of loading density in a cylinder. pressing the explosive should be performed in a safe manner and not with your bare hand. I know that pressing explosive to very high crystal density need special equipment. Anyway, RDX @ 1.5 or 1.6 g/cm3 still outperform C-4 (@ the same density) because C-4 has 9% inert binder which decrease the detonation energy and hence the overall performance.

Dany.

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by Dany]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 08:10

the question is rather if 1g/cm3 RDX outperforms C4 @1.5g/cm3

i dont have any references to this, however i talked with a russian who have a good deal of experience in energetics, in which he did before 2000 and now doesnt do much if any in it.. i see the reason for references as it would be interesting, its a pinpoint towards that its correct..
i searched quickly on google for it but didnt find anything, it would also be somewhat complicated to find as density and RDX and plasticizer is words used so often in context..

if i managed to confuse you: no i dont have any references :(

Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-11-2013 at 23:08

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
however i talked with a russian who have a good deal of experience in energetics, in which he did before 2000 and now doesnt do much if any in it..

Sad, does this russian stopped EM following an injury or something else?

Dany.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2013 at 05:14

now that i think of it, hes still in the game..
he just stopped doing HE's generally and got more fascinated of pyrotechnics
quite sure i would know if he had accidents of any sort..
i could ask him if he knows what this plasticizer increasing density-effect would be called or have any references to it?

Go To Top