Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Energetic binders
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 7-3-2017 at 09:26

About the the butylen R being lost was a drawing error, instead of trying to draw the entire structure I used a picture from an article.

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
After reading this thread it seems, respectively I estimate, that will the miracle, if we sometime see only one gram the modern active binder - plasticizer. From preparations in amateur conditions........:cool:...Dr.

Yeah, I'd definitely want synthesize some, however not anytime soon - until I can test it with other oxidizers. Which will be few years as college has been pretty busy.
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2019 at 13:51

All a few questions. How do you cure these energetic binders...? I would like to make cast propellant but the only way I can think of is acetone and Nitro cotton... but I don’t I could get the acetone to evaporate...

I am assuming cures are always used for rocketry and PBX?

Has anyone tried these energetic binders? How do you cure them??
Simoski
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 10:19

I watched a Laboratory of Liptakov YouTube video where he immerses a roll of insulation tape into petroleum for a few days, then removing the tape he has the sticky stuff dissolved in the petroleum .

He goes on to plasticize various energetics with it.

The sticky stuff is Pib, Polyisobutylene.

I do not know if this will help but I would take the fuel and oxidiser, mix it together with the petroleum/Pib and let the petroleum evaporate away. Should leave a plasticized grain.

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 11:28

Are you suggesting you would use an unknown quantity of PIB ? :o

I'm kidding but that's a good reason. If it's not reproducible...
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 11:54

MineMan meant an energetically active binder. Such as nitrocellulose, or something else - nitro - that is itself active without further, major propellant. That's why I didn't suggest PIB or anything else that isn't an active binder. Of course that exist active binder, this is diethylenglycol dinitrate (DEGDN) mixed with nitrocellulose. Arises solid rocket fuel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethylene_glycol_dinitrate
However, modern best propellant are ammonium perchlorate + alu powder as main fuel + epoxy as super solid binder as secondary fuel in one.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2019 at 22:34

LL. Yes. Energetic bind is much better than epoxy... for explosives at least. As it allows metal powders to react quickly.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 01:08

For rocket propellant grains (AN/Al based), I have used an NG/NC binder system as follows:

- Powdered NC was mixed with NG in a 50:50 ratio by dissolving NG in enough ethanol to wet the powdered NC

- Then the other components were mixed in and the ethanol was allowed to evaporate

- Finally, the propellant was pressed into the mold with a dwell time of about 5-10 minutes. This allows the NC/NG granules to flow into each other and form a rubbery matrix (much like a sintering process)

It only works well at relatively high NG/NC ratios, and does require pressing.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 23:43

You made a propellant with AN/Al!? Tell us more!!

For a big rocket this would be a lot of nitroglycerine, which I don’t feel safe with... I take it nitromethane or something safer could not be used because of the evaporation.

Or is nitroglycerine really not dangerous... only handled it once... use to handling solids.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 05:06

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
You made a propellant with AN/Al!? Tell us more!!

For a big rocket this would be a lot of nitroglycerine, which I don’t feel safe with... I take it nitromethane or something safer could not be used because of the evaporation.

Or is nitroglycerine really not dangerous... only handled it once... use to handling solids.

Well cleaned samples are as safe as any other energetic, I have had a pure 1cc sample now in a syringe for over a couple years and I test it every so oft.

I am speaking of small scale batch sizes, and good handling protocols, once it is made, and cleaned dissolve it in the solvent of choice.

Have a clean bench with only the things needed for the job and line with paper mat to absorb any drips.
Nitrosio
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-4-2020 at 07:24

http://pyrobin.com/files/Polymere%20Sprengstoffe.pdf
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top