Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strontium from Nitrate?
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 20-10-2004 at 17:09
Strontium from Nitrate?

im trying to obtain strontium metal from the nitrate salt. i was thinking of making a solution of the salt and adding pure magnesium metal to reduce the strontium.

two questions:
-would this work?
-would the strontium dissolve?

if it doesnt work, do you have any other ideas?

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 20-10-2004 at 17:37

Won't work. Even if Sr did form, which it would not because of reduction potentials, the Sr would react with the water forming strontium hydroxide.

I'm afraid the only way to 'fun' metals like this is molten electrolysis.:(

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 20-10-2004 at 17:48

Reaction of strontium nitrate with a calculated amount of magnesium metal could yield at least some strontium metal (Solid state reaction). It would have to be exactly stoichiometric though, and sealed off from the entry of oxygen, i.e., a one-way ball valve. Although of course some reactions could be highly energetic. The author of Principles of Pyrotechnics states in said book that even sodium metal can be formed by the reaction of a calculated amount of sodium nitrate with magnesium turnings.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2004 at 18:26

That would be likely to happen appreciably only if the (more volatile but heavier) Sr were to be removed from the reaction vessel as it is formed. Water would have to be absent.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 20-10-2004 at 18:56

Indeed, when this reaction is run with strontium oxide or carbonate and the reducing metal is aluminum, a high vacuum and direct distillation of the product is required to achieve yields that are significant (Preparative Inorganic chemistry states yields of >80% as I recall) the comparative reaction with magnesium would also be complicated by the magnesium forming the nitride at these elevated temperatures with the nitrogen thus evolved. And of course as you mentioned John WW, the nitrate must be anhydrous for any reasonable purity to be achieved.

However a stoichiometric mixture like this would probably be dangerous to run in a sealed reaction vessel, I would recommend MgO be added to bring the reaction more under control, comparable to reductions of lithium hydroxide with magnesium metal. Otherwise without the vacuum and moderate, this reaction could be quite fast, yield only little product difficult to separate from the remaining reaction mass, but, maybe you could make organic barium compounds with it for fun, they should burn beautifully.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top