Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Starting home lab--need to worry??
Sigerson
Harmless

Mood: Contending with the Texan Dark Age

[*] posted on 5-3-2014 at 12:43

I am among those living under the rule of dark age Texas. I know Texas gets a bad wrap so first I think its only fair to say that Austin is a blue island in a see of red. That said, the police are the police are the police. I haven't done anything, purchased anything or given any reason for any trouble and on the advice of everyone here, I will keep it that way. My one and only goal in studying chemistry is knowledge for knowledge sake. I just purchased a 20 gallon, plastic bin, with clamps, holes for pad locks and a foam seal all the way around the lid. Fits under my desk and is equipped to handle just about any type of spill so hopefully, should a nosey neighbor want to raise hell for me, this will only lend me credence.

I have purchased from a few suppliers both in and out of texas. One was more than willing to sell me whatever I needed but I kept it short, simple and legal. I mentioned in my previous post that I had the good fortunate of being able to speak to my friends husband who works for the narcotics division here in TX. he told her to tell me after looking into it, that the only time we would face any difficulties is if they first have good reason to come and inspect and in doing so, only if they find drug residue on restricted glassware.

Gives me some solace. What gives me even more solace and solidarity is all of you, so before I forget, thank you each and everyone one of you for paving the way and for those of you that took the time to reach out with some encouraging words and advice such as chemosynthesis. Has been greatly appreciated.

Oh and Nik, I did reach out to ya via U2U. SO much of what we're both experiencing is running parallel and I figured we could benefit from each others knowledge. Feel free to hit me up whenever you feel like

[Edited on 5-3-2014 by Sigerson]

"Nothing has such power to broaden the mind as the ability to investigate systematically and truly all that comes under thy observation in life." - Marcus Aurelius
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 16:12

I am also an Austinite. I've ordered a large amount of glassware and other equipment, and also bought several chemicals at hardware stores, such as NaOH, Cu(II)SO4, NaCO3, KNO3, and HCl, but I have not been bothered by any law enforcement.
Also, I have to do all of my work outside in my back yard, so when I'm doing anything that produces noxious gases such as H2S, I try to find a time at which my neighbors aren't home.
splooge
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 12:23

The only trouble I would expect is having to explain why you have a lab in the first place. What I personally did to protect my butthole and equipment from pillaging is I got a FEL.

This is good because not only do I have a reason and legal storage for energetic materials, but I have constant transparency of said chemicals with the fire department, as they are the "jurisdiction having authority". It gives you a legitimate use for red phosphorus (armstrong's mix is a HE is it not?)

I've also talked to the state fire marshal about any possible restrictions concerning manufacturing/storage and zoning laws. So unless I'm clearly breaking the law I have absolutely nothing to worry about, all in all it set me back 500$ but was worth every penny because I don't have to justify why I have a lab.

As far as being as discrete as humanly possible I"m not sure I entirely agree with that. I agree you shouldn't announce what you're doing to the world that you have evil scary chemicals in your basement is probably a good thing. But keeping in touch with your fire department isn't a bad thing either. Do you really want them to draw their own conclusions if you have a lab accident and they need to respond? They actually WILL start investigating when they come across your lab.

In summary, as long as you can explain why you have a lab you shouldn't worry about cops kicking in your door and raiding the place.

Edit: It's also easier to buy certain chems.

[Edited on 10-3-2014 by splooge]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 21:20

To add to that, one good idea is to make sure that your neighbors (unless they've got something serious against chemistry for some reason) are halfway aware of what you're doing instead of being all secretive about it. It makes it much less likely to get reported by them if they understand that you aren't doing anything illegal.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top