Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Energic mixtures based on lead dioxide
otonel
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 12:50
Energic mixtures based on lead dioxide

Some time ago I recycled lead from some car batteries and 2 jar of brown powder .
I read on internet about that stuff lead dioxide and I want to use that powder as oxidizer in some sensitive mixtures with Al powder or red phosphorus for torpedo or priming mixtures
I need you help for some recipe based on this oxidizer.
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 12:59

UTFSE
Research
List sources
Lead dioxide can forn sensitive mixtures with aluminim or magnesium and explodeswith a reaction like this I believe Al2+3PbO2==>2AlO3+3Pb

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 13:13

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
Al2+3PbO2==>2AlO3+3Pb

4 Al + 3 PbO2 --> 2 Al2O3 + 3 Pb

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by DraconicAcid]

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 13:18

Ahh sorry I was thinking about AlCl3 for some reason.
Also do not use RP! That would be insanely sensitive!

I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
otonel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 13:30

Ok thanks
4Al +3PbO2 is good recipe for me and I will test it soon
Is goo ideea to add some sulfur or charcoal for more gases and explosive effect?
bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 13:36

You would want to add in a desensitizer I think.

otonel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 14:21

Sulfur and charcoal I don`t think to be a real desensitizer , anyway I work with little amount of mixture and I search for some kind of explosive buster, more noise if you understand me
The recipe will be more helpful for me if you give it in percent %

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by otonel]
bismuthate
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 14:55

Al 18.5%
PbO2 81.5%
for flash powder.

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 4-12-2013 at 17:25

i personally prefer cleaner mixtures. that will give u lead smoke, which could cause many health problems.
Dornier 335A
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 13:55

Are PbO2 mixtures really that sensitive?
I know that Pb3O4 forms very sensitive mixtures with reactive metals, just as impact sensitive as say KClO3 and sulphur. Those mixtures also burn with very high speeds and were therefore used in dragon's eggs. I can't find much about PbO2+Al thermite though.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 16:48

Finely powdered Lead dioxide and fine Aluminum powder makes a flashpowder fast thermite, as does black Copper oxide. The mix is static, shock and friction sensitive, I would not care to handle it in any quantity. As noted, you really don't want to breath the smoke.

Your Lead is contaminated with Calcium, Bismuth and ARSENIC if it came from a modern storage battery. Nasty stuff, not a good choice for a starting material. Sell used batteries to a scrap yard and use the money to buy cleaner materials. Even though I cast bullets and am allways scrounging for cheap Lead, I would not use battery Lead under any circumstances.

[Edited on 6-12-2013 by Bert]

[Edited on 6-12-2013 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

otonel
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-12-2013 at 23:58

" I know that Pb3O4 forms very sensitive mixtures with reactive metals"
Chemically, red lead is Pb3O4, or 2 PbO·PbO2.
I tested a mixture with Al powder, I'm excited about it work well as impact sensitivity and noise.
"Your Lead is contaminated with Calcium, Bismuth and ARSENIC " you have right about lead but I melt it outdoor and I don`t think to be dangerous if work with him in open space but lead dioxide powder was wash with NaClo solution and a lot of water for remove impurities and have complete oxidation stage
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 7-12-2013 at 19:33

If you want shock sensitivity, there is Lead tetroxide/silicon "red thermite". It has been used as a shock to flame transducer in shock tube ignition systems. It has also been used as a pyrotechnic hot prime, but it's more dangerous to handle than some other systems.

You might also consider purification via treating the battery plate material with an aqua regia composed of a very small proportion of hydrochloric acid to nitric acid to obtain a Lead nitrate solution.

Remember, soluble lead compounds are very dangerous.

[Edited on 8-12-2013 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 8-12-2013 at 18:31

If you are making priming mixes with PbO2 .... I am going to assume that quantities that you will be utilizing are going to be sub-gram.
I do not see much of a difference between that and anyone who shoots recreationally. Modern cartridge primers almost always have Pb-Styphanate.

I don't know much about these mixes, having said that, unless it offers you some significant benefit compared to other mixes, as others have suggested, I'd stay with the more tried and tested mixes.

You may be better off using the PbO2 electrodes for a Chlorate/Perchlorate cell.

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"

Go To Top