Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: mucic acid
jimwig
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 11:11
mucic acid

i have a "recipe" for preparing this from lactose (very available) but it is very small scale. after searching (literally) for a larger scale method I have come up blank.

this is for the production of pyrrole etc. I don't want to detail everything but if someone knows of a site, way, etc i am all ears.

sincerely the elephant
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

mad.gif posted on 4-11-2004 at 11:39

Now, what the hell is this about?
Mucic Acid is galactaric acid ( http://www.aromaticindia.com/products.html ), and although there may be a way to get this from lactose or milk, what has this got to do with energetic materials? You aren't even mentioning nitration or anything - besides the fact that this would be very unlikely to survive heavy nitration/sulphuric acid with the carboxyls present.
It gets worse. What does pyrrole have to do with it??? Care to provide a route?
Just in case you dont know what it is, it's a 5 membered ring with one nitrogen and 2 double bonds ( http://classweb.gmu.edu/sslayden/graphics/pyrrole.gif ).
Again, what's this got to do with energetic materials?

Comon, whats wrong with you people lately, do you think you get away with posts that contain zero information and strange seemingly unreletated demands, with zero or little explanation? I leave this open for the moment - and unless you have a decent explanation, it's going to where it belongs - detritus!

PS No I don't have a bad day - just lately there are a lot of terrible thread starters!

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
alchemie
Harmless

Mood: variational

[*] posted on 12-11-2004 at 07:35

The only preparation for mucic acid I remember is from Voguel´s Practical Organic Chemistry. It´s the oxidation of lactose with nitric acid. Maybe thats the one you have?
antibond
Harmless

Mood: good

[*] posted on 23-11-2004 at 12:57
scaleable

Is there any reason why the nitric acid & lactose reaction to produce mucic acid (Vogel) wouldn't be scalable? Curious.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 23-11-2004 at 14:45

No, there is no reason it can’t be scaled down. As a rule of thumb, however, expect lower yields when scaling reactions down.

Go To Top