Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Identification of black ferromagnetic powder.
Tacho
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 04:03
Identification of black ferromagnetic powder.

As a byproduct of my electrolytic steel etching I got a black powder that is very ferromagnetic. Since iron produces many oxides and complex ions, I would like to know if there is more than one that is black, insoluble and strongly ferromagnetic?
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 06:47

Fe3O4?

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 07:09

On http://www.kremer-pigmente.de you find very good information on the several oxides of iron, properties uses and more.

To me it sounds you got this black iron oxide which is used as pigment for cement and concrete.
Its on the page linked above.

Irgendwas is ja immer
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 13:11

Is it stainless steel or somekind of alloy? Because it could also be NiO then.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Tacho
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 13:33

No, it's just a common nail. Rather big though. So far, the best bet is magnetite (Fe3O4) mixed with other oxides, as Saerynide pointed out.

I'm gravity filtering it to do further tests. I read somewhere that there is a FeO that oxidizes when exposed to air.

A magnetic non-conductive fine powder that does not rust is interesting material...

This is a thread that I found in the usenet. A guy did what I did, exactly with a nail, and someone told him "With the exception of aluminum and magnesium, no other metal oxide can be formed by electrolytic action".

Curious... someone is very wrong...
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 10:42

I think Fe3O4 is the least soluble of iron oxides in dilute acid and readily magnetised with heat or a magnet. If you powder the oxide, put it in a tube, pass a magnet over it and then hold a non magnetised nail next to the tube you should separate the Fe3O4. With it magnetised you could give it a quick wash with dilute sulfuric, maybe borax, and water, then dry it well. I think it is fairly stable in air if dry. Water seems to convert it to Fe2O3
mick
rocketscience
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2004 at 08:35

I have the same question however you could have iron hydroxide because from what I remember mine had a green tint to my electrolysis it butt it was mainly black but then when it all settled it was a dark grayish blue did you see any similar colors
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 25-11-2004 at 13:30
ATTENTION ROCKETSCIENCE

Apparently you are not checking your U2U messages. Check them now. Send me a U2U message when you have read them, and I will delete this message.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address

Go To Top