Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Transferring to the Big leagues in January!!
T_FLeX
Harmless

Mood: Stressed

[*] posted on 8-11-2004 at 13:32
Transferring to the Big leagues in January!!

Transferring to the Big leagues in January!!

As of right now I'm a sophomore at Columbus state University, but next semester I'll be transferring to the University of Georgia to pursue a degree in Applied Biotechnology. This is huge for me, because the University of Georgia is the biggest research institution in the south east of the U.S. I feel I've come a long way considering the large percentage of my graduating class didn’t make it to CSU let alone UGA.

This will be the first time I'll be living on my own, so naturally I'm a little scared. The place I will be staying is already furnished and on the top floor, and my parents said lugging all my lab equipment up there will just get me unwanted attention. My brother is about to graduate with a degree in chemistry and planning on doing graduate studies there. Depending on whether or not he gets accepted (he will) we are planning on buying a house up there maybe some time next year. I was thinking about using college loans to make a down payment? But I haven’t heard of anyone doing this. I am on full scholarship so I only really need money for food and a place to stay and I just don’t like the idea of throwing my money away in rent. Everyone I’ve talked to that has taken out loans is to pay for tuition, so I’m not sure if this idea will work. Anyone know if this is possible?

The thing I'm most excited about it actually meeting another hard core scientist like myself. So far I haven't met anyone that comes remotely close, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Let me know what you guys think of my major. I originally was going to go for a degree in biological engineering, but after looking at the course load, I saw it has way too many math engineering classes for my liking with a few bio and chem classes thrown in. This major just seems perfect for me; it has a solid number of bio and chem classes and tons of real world experience designed for research and development.

Go To Top