Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Online chemical structure analysis?
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 13:38
Online chemical structure analysis?

I've played around when ChemSpider. For a lot of molecules it can give predicted boiling/melting points and that sort of related data, but is there any sort of program I can buy or download, or use online, that can analyse a chemical structure of a hypothetical molecule and predict properties about it?
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 13:46

Well, there is Avogadro. This can model compounds, and tell how many kJ per mole it takes to synthesize the compound.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 14:07

Interesting! Thanks for this!

Do you know if this program can predict boiling/melting points, or pKa values?
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 14:45

Quote: Originally posted by TheChemiKid  
This can model compounds, and tell how many kJ per mole it takes to synthesize the compound.

It doesn't actually tell that. The energy is just a measure of the systems potential energy with a given force field. To get to melting points/pchemical data you need to have more sophisticated calculations. You could in theory run ab initio calculations to give you melting points, but that's immensely complex.

Usually for properties like pKa, melting points and so on statistical stuff is used. Some structural databases like reaxys can give sophisticated guesses on these properties, but it's hardly a trivial thing to do.
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 15:48

Is it possible to submit various molecule structures to these databases and have calculations run on it?
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2013 at 17:13

Quote: Originally posted by Electra  
Is it possible to submit various molecule structures to these databases and have calculations run on it?

Sure, it only depends, that what kind of calculations would be needed. There are several software that could calculate a few things, just a few from these: ChemDraw, Spartan, Gaussian.

The problem is, that it should be figured out, that what and how could be calculated. So if you are new in this, that it will take a few day, to calculate something useful.

P.S.: is here anyone who can predict a enthalpy of vaporization/boiling point or something like that for organics? I would need some data for not yet described compounds...

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."

Go To Top