Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Opinions? What is best to acquire first for a home lab?
weeksie98
Harmless

Mood: Pretty protic

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 04:53
Opinions? What is best to acquire first for a home lab?

This will help both me and other new home chemists. I have already asked a few people, including Hexavalent, and they say it is best to acquire inorganic glassware for your first lab. What do you think? I was originally of the opinion that a distillation set-up was the best bet to start, but, upon reflection, getting the basic glass or even getting a solid array of different bits heating equipment also seem like great options. All opinions welcome!

'If organic chemistry were easy, it would be known as "biology".'
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 05:32

I think you should definitely get a hotplate and some beakers and flasks. If you have the money, buy a distillation apparatus.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
weeksie98
Harmless

Mood: Pretty protic

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 05:33

Quote: Originally posted by TheChemiKid  
I think you should definitely get a hotplate and some beakers and flasks. If you have the money, buy a distillation apparatus.

Interesting, that would fit in with my opinion.

'If organic chemistry were easy, it would be known as "biology".'
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 05:51

The most basic things are test tubes and a small burner to heat them. Do you have these already? If so, then think of basic glassware, but if not, then first grab a set of test tubes.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 05:56

In addition to the above mentioned,get lots of empty bottles for liquids and solids, try and find a few with Teflon liners for harsher chemicals for if(when) you make some bromine and nitric acid.

Stands, various clamps,wire mesh squares, a burner (Mekker or Tirrill are my favorites), filter papers and if you can a Büchner funnel and filter flask with a vacuum adapter for your tap. You will be happy you got the last item. I went for so long without a vac filter setup and I have no idea why/how. A scale is also a necessity, get some cupcake paper things too, they make nice disposable weighing vessels :)
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 06:30

Goggles!

A periodic table, calculator, pen, and notebook.

After that, it really depends upon the science you intend to do. It sounds like you are interested in chemistry, so I would begin by collecting jars and household, easy-to-acquire chemicals (white vinegar, ammonia, bleach, salt, sugar...) Are you interested more in organic, inorganic, both?

Measurement is a key function of a lab, so get your instruments together: ruler, stopwatch, magnifying glass, thermometer, pH paper, scale...

Take a good look around the house, the grocery store, the hardware store, etc. If you're just starting off, there may not be a need to get fancy; coffee filters make perfectly functional filter papers.

People often forget about cleaning and waste disposal, so be sure to stock up on towels, and garbage bags, and develop an organized waste system from the start.

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 07:04

Visit woelens sit. http://woelen.homescience.net/science/index.html
I would recomend getting a basic glassware kit like this
http://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Glassware-Set-piece-Everyday/dp/B...
or this
http://www.amazon.com/A-Daigger-Company-General-Glassware/dp...
then get some chemicals.
As you do experiments record what you see and get some measuring tools like a scale.
Good luck

[Edited on 22-12-2013 by bismuthate]

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 07:18

Mayko mentioned many things that most people neglect. An accurate 0.1gram resolution scale, some small volumetric flasks and pipettes for measuring liquids, and a notebook and good pen to record everything. A lot of simple chemistry can be done with household and OTC chemicals, so dont worry to much on those.

Other than that, I second woelens advide. A small set of test tubes and some small beakers to heat in are very handy. A well lit and ventalated workspace is a must as well.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 22-12-2013 at 10:36

Fire extinguishers. Vermiculite, sand, baking soda... At work, we go through a ton (at least) of basically clay kitty litter per year. There's a 15# bag of the DE type of absorbent here.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top