Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: allyl isothiocyanate from allyl amine
nanobot-dnp
Harmless

Mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbvEmjHdeqQ

[*] posted on 27-12-2013 at 15:25
allyl isothiocyanate from allyl amine

I have aquired a large volume of allyl amine. Right now I have just under a liter and luckily its winter because it releases vapors in the fridge. I need to get it out of here asap so I was thinking I would either sell it or make something out of it to sell. Allyl isothicyanate is the active component of wusabi. I was thinking that maybe i could cook up some of this compound and sell it that way. Originally I wa trying to aquire that compound for use in my wusabi experiments but it was dramatically over priced. The allyl amine was cheap and I figured it would be pretty fun to make it myself from this hazardous liquid that smells like rubbery palstic and ammonia.

If anyone is intereted in taking this high grade allyl amine off of my hands please do so immediately. I have to get rid or it or neutralize it before summer is here.

please... I paid over $200 for it to make some synthetic wusabi.

[Edited on 27-12-2013 by nanobot-dnp]

evil twists what is already there
nanobot-dnp
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-12-2013 at 21:26

Ok i decided I fucked up with this purchase. It is now free (hopfully to a scientist who can use it or store it correctly)

If you are interested in this high purity allyl amine please pm me.

All you have to do is pay shipping or something since I cant afford to ship it.

its a around 900 ml if you want less than that let me know and ill see what I can do since I dont have any bottles will need to aquire them.

:)

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 28-12-2013 at 07:16

So you purchased it with the intention of making the isothiocyanate, but why have you abandoned that plan of action? Understandably the only method of preparation I know to make isothiocyanates from amines involves thiophosgene which is not something most people want to work with, but then again allylamine isn't health food either.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
nanobot-dnp
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-12-2013 at 19:09

whe.. I figured that since the precoursors to allyl isothiocyanate where not available i would use this to make the precoursours then convert to isothiocyanate. It was all a very STUPID idea I would say that I was not myself at the time... Oh well... This will be of use for someone else not for me though... I cant even store it for much longer... Would like to sell it and get my money back but I would preffer just to see it vanish. I can't be bothered with such a hazardous chemical.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-12-2013 at 03:39

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Understandably the only method of preparation I know to make isothiocyanates from amines involves thiophosgene which is not something most people want to work with, but then again allylamine isn't health food either.

When starting from allylamine using thiophosgene might be unavoidable, but allyl isothiocyanate can be easily prepared by the sigmatropic rearrangement of allyl thiocyanate (which itself is easily prepared from allyl halides).
Some aliphatic thiocyanates can also be thermally isomerized to the corresponding isothiocyanates, though via a different mechanism, and not necessarily equally efficiently. Nevertheless, it is an alternative to starting from amines and using thiophosgene.
Also, the Ritter reaction of tert-alcohols (and other substrates that give stabilized carbocations) with thiocyanic acid gives the isothiocyanates almost exclusively.

For a review on the rearrangement and other reactions leading to isothiocyanates, see:
Isothiocyanates in Heterocyclic Synthesis, S. Sharma (google-books link)

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
nanobot-dnp
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-12-2013 at 23:48

Um...

I must have been delusional when I bought it because I thought that I would be able to make a lot more money selling allyl isothiocyanate... I checked out that book and it has pretty much everything I would need to proceed with that experiment without screwing myself over... thanks

nanobot-dnp
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 02:33

I appologize for bringing this up again but it seems no one is interested in buying it or accepting it as a free donation so my other options are go out into a feild and light it on fire... (fun) Or make something that doesnt fume out of it. Does anyone have any idea what I could do with this crap? and no...

i light it on fire in a feild or i pour it out into the sewer... i want it gone...

Seriously no one has a lab that they might be interested in this bottle of shit? i can take pic with that days news paper... if ur that real...

ill end up dumping it if no one wants it... ill hold onto it until winters almost up...

[Edited on 2-1-2014 by nanobot-dnp]

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 2-1-2014 at 03:08

I have ideas, seriously, but I would like to know the price of shipping to Canada and get pictures of the bottle.

I would be glad to shelter it.

I never asked for this.
nanobot-dnp
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 01:23

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
I have ideas, seriously, but I would like to know the price of shipping to Canada and get pictures of the bottle.

I would be glad to shelter it.

You seriously want a picture of a bottle of clear liquid? I don't want you to shelter it I need you to take it from me... I don't give a shit what you do with it but I don't wanna let it go to waste...

Shipping to canada? After all the shit im going to do to it? (that sounds malicious... I meant for it to sound meticulous...) it would be around $50 bucks I can always refund you the difference or take a loss...

Still up for suggestions in reguards to what I could easily do to the allyl amine to get something more stable from it... Possibly a reagent that people would like to buy from me on ebay...

plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 01:29

It is more for the label then else.

I never asked for this.
nanobot-dnp
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 01:57

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
It is more for the label then else.

there is no lable and not in original bottle. I can tell you how it smells! its clear like water smells like slightly burnt rubber / plastic / ammonia. flamable.

I dont blame you if not interested... What would you do with it if you DID get it?

plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 02:54

Actually, I don't really know, polymerize it or chlorinate it. I do not have anything really planned.

I never asked for this.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 06:17

Well why couldn't you keep it as hydrochloride salt?
nanobot-dnp
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 18:26

Quote: Originally posted by Random  
Well why couldn't you keep it as hydrochloride salt?

OH YEAH!!

THANK YOU i forgot all about the HCl salt or what ever it was I was trying to buy a year or two ago...

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 19:22

After looking at your posts on this site, especially your latest one about Jesus and organic eating nanobots (detritus bound no doubt), I have to say you should not be trusted with a banana let alone dangerous chemicals.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
nanobot-dnp
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2014 at 01:36

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
After looking at your posts on this site, especially your latest one about Jesus and organic eating nanobots (detritus bound no doubt), I have to say you should not be trusted with a banana let alone dangerous chemicals.

I enjoy you... Thank you too...

Go To Top