Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Short-Delay Electronic Blasting System
aldofad
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 18:05

Quote: Originally posted by Dany  
The question here is not reliability or cost. the important question is what new applications can we explore with the improved device of aldofad. i already mention one which is Fuel Air Explosive (FAE).

I got your interest in FAE. Well, with a couple of my prototypes you can accomplish your needs and burn any bridge wire with perfect interval precision.
Obviously my system was not developed for a binary explosion so you'll have some components overload. But sure perfect for testings
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 18:29

I like how you've used an optocoupler. Surely there's a reliable and cheap solid state means of switching the relatively high-current that you're applying to the ignitors, which would allow you to run the system off 6-9V. Are there any solid state relays rated for such high current? Even if they're not, if the device is expendable... as long as it doesn't burn out before the detonator. Reliable high current relays generally aren't cheap, at least in my experience.

Finally, is there a particular reason you're working with an ATMega328? Are you programming through Arduino IDE? You might be able to get away with an ATTiny2313/4313 or even an ATTiny84/85. They're significantly cheaper, and have Arduino cores available online.

[Edited on 2.1.14 by bfesser]

aldofad
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 18:33

Quote: Originally posted by roXefeller  
The idea of using capacitors for this is an older idea, but he has done a good job at executing it and combining with a timer.

I should have noticed earlier your observation. You are correct and wrong at the same time...
Practically all the blasting machines for electric detonations on the market use a big capacitor charged at high voltage ranging from 500V to 3000V at several millifarads, see Schaffler for example.
Getting in touch with such a huge capacitor when loaded can easily result in a fatal death experience as that capacitor can provide those letal (often) 25mA through a human body.
But this capacitor is only inside the main remote station with the big red fire button.
I'm simply dividing all that huge and dangerous power in the main station across every detonator with low voltage and making them independent.
aldofad
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 19:08

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
I like how you've used an optocoupler. Surely there's a reliable and cheap solid state means of switching the relatively high-current that you're applying to the ignitors, which would allow you to run the system off 6-9V. Are there any solid state relays rated for such high current? Even if they're not, if the device is expendable... as long as it doesn't burn out before the detonator. Reliable high current relays generally aren't cheap, at least in my experience.

Finally, is there a particular reason you're working with an ATMega328? Are you programming through Arduino IDE? You might be able to get away with an ATTiny2313/4313 or even an ATTiny84/85. They're significantly cheaper, and have Arduino cores available online.

Good talking with you.
I'll never put a solid state relay inside this project and I explain you the reason.
1) The cost for the amperage I need is very high but this not the problem
2) Solid state relay are good on high frequency applications, I got no frequency at all here. Just a single contact and boom.
3) Solid state relay are delicate components. I'm talking about those driven by voltage and all those sensible to zero cross current. I know that I'm not exhaustive and totally correct, but I really don't like them.
4) Relays exists from 1830 and they have not been replaced by transistors because they have the strength of mechanic and native electric isolation. I consider this project a sort of mission critical device. I want on the field a big relay with gold or silver plated contacts and makes me happy to hear the 'click' when it get excited.
5) I've never seen a broken relay in my life when running at nominal conditions. Instead I've seen bunch of transistor broken when running well below nominal conditions. Solid state relay are made up of transistors

I use the ATMEGA328 subclocked at 8MHz in order to get more reliability and less consumption. The fire signal goes through interrupt resulting in an extreme interval precision.
I'm not sure ATTiny devices have enough I/O for this application. I've never used any ATTiny, I just feel confident with the ATMEGA328, but sure your choice may be correct too.
Yes, I use an Arduino IDE, I can't work without Object Programming... :)

I appreciate your posts, thanks for submitting. Your concerns are correct and I've gone through them too taking my decisions.
Bear in mind that what I'm doing can be realized for sure in many other ways, you could probably realize a different project for the same purpose.
First of all, what is really important, is that you trust what you are doing. This application is a sort of mission critical system, people may even lose their life for our mistakes in the project, and this is not the project for me to learn or make new experiments.
I will be pleased to continue this technical discussion

cheers
aldofad
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 09:03
Electronic Blasting System - New Version

Hello world,
please take a look at my new Electronic Blasting System still under development.
Once again, I will appreciate any comments and critics.

Cheers,

aldo
Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 09:44

Looks freaking awesome.. Especially the last sequence.
You don't like squashes much do you ? Lol.

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
10-2-2014 at 09:45
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 10-2-2014 at 09:48

Yes, good job, quality is very important.

aldofad
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-3-2015 at 23:23

Hy guys,
please see my new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VSGKwTszBw, I never shared here. Please don't care about the extra delay in the last explosion, this happen sometimes because I dont press the lead azide.

I've finished the development of the electronic detonator. It took a long time...
The product itself is designed for blasting booster. Please click on images to enjoy full size.

The system provides several unique features:
- Virtually unlimited number of detonators for shot
- No need to calculate cable section, every diameter will work fine
- No limit on cable length, just wait some more seconds to load detonators for exceptional lengths
- It's ok if the cable get broken during detonations. The detonators will ignites autonomously applying their delays
- Detonators can only accept and store the firing current only when turned on and only from the remote location
- Firing current is automatically discharged if detonator is turned off
- Detonator will turn off automatically after two hours (or programmable) waiting for fire signal. Stored fire current is discharged
- Logic filter, 3-8 seconds, over the fire request from remote location
- No need to calculate or measure any electric resistance.
- Precise fire delay applied by microcontroller on board
- Every detonator has a unique serial number (or programmable) provided in the microcontroller
- Autodiagnostic over the link with from the detonator with the remote location, a led indicate the correct connection. Useful in poor light conditions. No additional test instruments required
- The detonator will accept a fire request signal only after 10 minutes (or programmable) since turned on

- A magnet turns on the electronic of the detonator on package removal.

A detailed view of the magnet function. Please click on the image

- Several months of stand alive waiting for a fire signal (must disable timeout). The microcontroller ibernate itself automatically after power on

this is the booster for which the detonator is designed

The blaster has also been developed

please note the extreme shielding of the blaster (obviously grounded to negative pole). Since the blaster can also be used to directly detonate standards electric detonators, the shield avoid emitting high electromagnetic spikes.

easy weight lithium batteries

Yes, I used an Arduino Mega in the blaster suitcase. The blaster is not a mission critical apparatus, Arduino works just fine there.

An overview of the connectors available:

An inside of the connector while developing a prototipe...

An overview of the products developed

This is the detonator in SMD medium size, assembled just for fun.

[Edited on 22-3-2015 by aldofad]
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 02:00

Excellent work on the electronics! But this has to be the most unorthodox setting for testing energetics that I've ever seen so far :D
Is this a mansion's park or something similar in your video?

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
aldofad
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 04:12

Quote: Originally posted by markx  

Is this a mansion's park or something similar in your video?

Yes, its the mansion were my family produce wine :P a wine with an explosive taste :D

[Edited on 22-3-2015 by aldofad]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 22-3-2015 at 06:00

I certainly wouldn't want to be a gopher living in your lawn!

Nice hardware...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top