Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Waste disposal (tests and procedures)
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 3-1-2014 at 06:02
Waste disposal (tests and procedures)

Ok now you got a chemical waste that might contain heavy metals, PCBs, dioxins and other toxic stuff in smaller amounts. So you wanna dispose of it correctly.
How would one go if you had a few litres of the stuff? I'm not talking about extreme PCB and dioxin contaminatiom but you can never be sure for example if you are digging for gold out of printed circuit boards.

So how could one dispose of that waste and turn it unto relatively harmless materials like Hg-->HgS
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-1-2014 at 06:09

There are a few existing threads on this subject. Try searching. [edit] Here's a mediocre example: <strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=25537">Reduction of Copper (II) Compounds</a></strong>

[Edited on 3.1.14 by bfesser]

Random
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2014 at 11:46

I already looked for them but still there hasn't been a topic here about disposing safely solutions of unknown waste. Topic you posted is one example but we would need to make a good procedure by ourselves. I'll try to contribute to this tomorrow.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 3-1-2014 at 12:42

Because waste disposal is and always should be application specific. If you have "unknown waste," you're not doing amateur science, you're just being a lazy and careless fool. You should never end up with completely unknown waste. The neutralization and disposal are dependent on what's in your waste stream. Figure out what you want to dispose of and search for relevant posts. If you don't find any, post here.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2014 at 13:32

Quote: Originally posted by Random  
Ok now you got a chemical waste that might contain heavy metals, PCBs, dioxins and other toxic stuff in smaller amounts.

Extremely unlikely to find such incredibly diverse pollutants in one place. Not a 'real world problem'.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 3-1-2014 at 15:10

Disposal will be cumulative.

First for disposal a TCLP test will be run to determine which metals are present. It will be tagged for those. will also be tagged for corrosive and flammability if applicable or if it is an oxidizer. PCBs are not going to be the concern when mixed with the rest of those nasties. HOWEVER dioxins... you would be in a world of hurt. I have seen personally a $10k mistake when someone mistakenly shipped one small container of a dioxin precursor with a large shipment of hazardous waste and the whole shipment was rejected. Dioxins and dioxin precursors are treated differently than most all other hazardous waste and as far as I know only one place on the North American continent will take those materials for disposal and the prices are $$$. Things may have changed in the last 6 years but these types of questions used to make up my livelihood. But aside from the dioxins this would be pretty standard waste.

As for incredibly diverse pollutants blogfast. That is exactly what I used to make when doing chemistry at home. All of my heavy metals, organics, things I did not want to dump down the drain went into a 5 gallon bucket open to the air to evaporate. By the end it contained all sorts of heavy metals and other nasties. Thankfully I was able to dispose of it correctly.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 06:50

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  

As for incredibly diverse pollutants blogfast. That is exactly what I used to make when doing chemistry at home. All of my heavy metals, organics, things I did not want to dump down the drain went into a 5 gallon bucket open to the air to evaporate. By the end it contained all sorts of heavy metals and other nasties. Thankfully I was able to dispose of it correctly.

For most of us these quantities are so small as to be negligible. And definitely no dioxins or PCBs...

[Edited on 4-1-2014 by blogfast25]

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 07:09

I wasn't saying that anyone would have that exact combination, just an 'incredibly diverse' waste stream.

Just to clarify from above, I mentioned additive waste classifications. So if your liquid was flammable and corrosive and toxic by EPA definition it might be disposed of as:

Waste flammable liquids, toxic, corrosive, n.o.s., (names of chemicals) 3,6,8 and then with any D-codes for metals, e.g., D009 for mercury or whatever else is in there.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Split
4-1-2014 at 08:47
Random
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2014 at 08:52

Thanks for the contribution BromicAcid. That's exactly what I was looking for. Also you would be surprised, if you chlorinate phenol to 2,4,5-trichlorophenol, dissolve electronic waste in aqua regia, or produce methylamine hcl in some ways there could be some very toxic chlorinated compounds present. Dioxins, PCBs and bis(chloromethyl) ether come to my mind.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 08:32

An easy and perhaps safer 'disposal' form of the heterogeneous waste material (better than just dumping for sure) is to employ some of the chemistry of cement making. The rough idea is to commence the setting/formation of a cement mix and then 'add' some of the preferably dry waste. If the cement successful sets, the waste may be encased, thereby isolated and perhaps neutralized. This would be hopefully for an extended period of time and more so if buried high above the water table level.

The advantage of this approach is lower expense than employing a host of target reagents to lower the toxicity level, which may prove only partially successful and may even make the waste potentially more toxic!

[Edited on 10-1-2014 by AJKOER]
prof_genius
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-6-2014 at 08:21

If disposing of waste at a hazardous waste plant costs too much, you could fill a glass bottle (1-2.5L), then cover it in concrete to make a block. Next you should write what's in the block on it with a permanent marker. You can safely store this block in your backyard garage etc. You could also dig a hole in your backyard, line it with plastic (available in hardware stores to cover floors when painting), place the block and cover. This should keep it safe. This method is fine for most types of waste but you should consider sending very dangerous waste to a hazardous waste plant.
Ascaridole
Hazard to Self

Mood: Searching for glass....

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 14:40

Proper planning and careful selection of reagents for your reactions should almost eliminate any waste disposal problems. I may use "hazardous" or "toxic" reagents but I always ensure I have a disposal plan (be it destruction with another reagent to form less hazardous byproducts or arrangements for waste disposal at a professional facility) before even purchasing the reagents.

If possible I do try my best to recycle solvents but sometimes they end up at the disposal center :(

I don't like the evaporation method as proper labeling and monitoring of what you put in to it is necessary. In other words a dilute oxidizing/reducing solution can become very concentrated with evaporation resulting in some exciting chemistry depending on what you add in next.:o

At work we have guidelines such as not buying bulk quantities of reagents and and working in small scales to reduce waste. We have other rules that are pretty obvious like using the least toxic solvent system, etc.
I miss my benzene and carbon tetrachloride.... :(

Ascaridole, the masked bandit of chemistry!
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 11:17

Im just having an ADR can and there is copper,nitrate,nitrite,sulphate,sulphuric acid,ammoniua and etc.Here if you ive dangerous waste YOU get money cause you are enviroment friendly.But you get only money for big quantities.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 17:49

Waste categories should be separated where possible.
Most soluble inorganic waste can be precipitated with either
Sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate or sodium sulfate.

PCBs and dioxins are usually by products.
One good example would be making chloroform
From technical grade acetone.
The amount is probably negligible but TCDD is potent.
A primary source is bleaching paper.

Dioxin disposal is usually accomplished by incineration above 1000C.
jsc
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 14:52

EVERYTHING is toxic (except pure water maybe, and even then, drink too much water and you die).

Salt (NaCl) is toxic. After the Second Punic War, the Romans sowed the fields of Carthage with salt. If that isn't military use of a toxic chemical weapon, I don't know what is.

Hard to find anything more basic than salt. Sulfur, maybe? Its an element. Oh wait, sulfur is toxic too.

If you live in the north, go to the supermarket and check out the de-icing area. 20 pound bags of toxic chemicals that you are invited to pour on your driveway and sidewalk. Watch trucks go buy with TONS of toxic waste dumping on it road. But thats ok, it's fine to dump 50 million tons of toxic waste onto roadways because you need to melt ice. A few plants and fish may die. So what? You melted ice!

Do a chemistry experiment in your basement and 1 gram of "toxic" waste is a felony. De-ice a public road and feel free to buy a truck to dump your waste 5 tons at a time into playgrounds and kindergarten parking lots no problem. It's all context.
quantumcorespacealchemyst
Banned Shitposter

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 02:27
recycling

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
Waste categories should be separated where possible.
Most soluble inorganic waste can be precipitated with either
Sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate or sodium sulfate.

PCBs and dioxins are usually by products.
One good example would be making chloroform
From technical grade acetone.
The amount is probably negligible but TCDD is potent.
A primary source is bleaching paper.

Dioxin disposal is usually accomplished by incineration above 1000C.

please let me know more about the formation of 2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzodioxin in during haloformation. i have seen small amounts of orange/rust colored precipitate (TCDD being white reportedly) from using technical grade acetone.

regarding the dioxins and/or other compounds, what is the expanded formula/method of their formation and/or what impurities they form from?

regarding chloroform decomposition, (besides letting it sit after acidification) are there electrochemical means , taking into account the salts NaOH and NaCH3COO?

thanks

[Edited on 17-1-2015 by quantumcorespacealchemyst]

Go To Top