Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thiodinitromethane
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 12:28
Thiodinitromethane

Yes that's why I'm asking in this section. According to the web there is no such thing but if I look at the molecule I have in mind; S=C(NO3)2, it looks plausible as far as my lack of understanding is concerned. It obviously cannot exist but S=C=S and C(NO3)4 does. I'm appealing to someone to give me some direction to understanding why.

Thanks.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 13:00

Quote:

According to the web there is no such thing

Do you have access to Scifinder and/or Beilstein? Furthermore, if a molecule can't be found, doesn't mean it can't exist.

In this case, if it could be prepared, I would expect it to readily polymerize to a polymeric thioether. It would also be quite sensitive to hydrolysis.

[Edited on 6-1-2014 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 13:28

As far as I can tell, you're interested in S=C(NO2)2, which should be dinitrothioxomethane.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Dany
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-1-2014 at 03:00

a search on scifinder reveal that this molecule (Thiodinitromethane) don't exsit. however, there is a chance that this molecule has been synthesized but the work is kept confidential. In scifinder you will get results only for patent, article and conference released in the public domain (unclassified). One famous example is ammonium dinitramide. In the 70's the soviet union synthesized ammonium dinitramide. The soviet patented ammonium dinitramide but kept the patent behind the iron curtain because the compound was very promising as an oxidizer in rocket propellant (superior to ammonium perchlorate). In the late 80's the american re-discover ammonium dinitramide, the patented the compound but they didn't kept the patent secret. so now ammonium dinitramide is a U.S invention (the patent is for SRI international)

Dany.

[Edited on 10-1-2014 by Dany]

Go To Top