Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Myst32YT?
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 18:12
Myst32YT?

Does anyone know what has happened to the youtube channel myst32YT?
He was a great youtuber, and his videos are missed by me. He also had the sciencemadness account myst32. I was wondering if anyone has heard of him. His last post on SM was in March 2011 and his last video was in July 2012.
Any help on clearing this up would be great.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 6-1-2014 at 19:22

Quote: Originally posted by TheChemiKid  
Does anyone know what has happened to the youtube channel myst32YT?
He was a great youtuber, and his videos are missed by me. He also had the sciencemadness account myst32. I was wondering if anyone has heard of him. His last post on SM was in March 2011 and his last video was in July 2012.
Any help on clearing this up would be great.

Ha, ha! You make it sound like he died or something, and all of his videos suddenly disappeared. His channel's still there:

http://www.youtube.com/user/myst32YT/videos

Probably what happened was college, along with the associated studying, girls, and other important things.

Edit: OK, I see that he's my age. But unless there's a reason to think that something terrible happened...I wouldn't worry. It looks
like he only posted here a few times, and was primarily active on YT.

What Random says it right. For example, each one of my posts in the solar cell thread may take a couple of hours to
organize. That couple of hours reflects maybe 4-8 hours in the lab, in addition to a full-time job. After a while life just gets in
the way. Once I start working on my car again, I'll probably be spending less time here for a while.

[Edited on 7-1-2014 by WGTR]
TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 04:23

That's possible, but he is in his mid 30's, so he would have to be taking LOTS of courses (not impossible)
PS: I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I knew his channel was still up.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 04:52

It's not unprecedented for a sciencemadness member to get killed by his experiments (http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13813&...), so that is certainly a legitimate concern.

Also, I learned that it is (understandably) extremely difficult or even impossible to terminate facebook/youtube/other accounts if a friend or relative dies without leaving a record of passwords etc.

There have been several members here that stopped posting, but I suspect most of them simply lost interest. Perhaps it would be good if regulars that are going to stop their involvement here would post a brief message that they are ok. Just for the peace of mind of other members.

[Edited on 7-1-2014 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
7-1-2014 at 05:40
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 7-1-2014 at 07:15

Probably just too busy with life, even the simplest inorganic experiments take me 3 hours in the lab let alone organic ones, video recording and editing etc..
myst32
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 07:25

rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 10:26

Welcome back...

Stats show you have 4 posts in 4 years?!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 10:27

Whoa, are we going to see some new videos too?

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
forgotpassword
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 13:14

Exaggerated, did something happen? God forbid
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 15:34

Hey, Myst32. I missed your videos on youtube. I'm glad to hear that things are ok. Any plans on uploading any new videos in the near future?
myst32
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 07:21

I probably wont be making new videos.

I have to say putting up videos about chemistry has been an interesting adventure (to say the least). When the Casey Anthony trial was going on I received a huge amount of threats for my chloroform video with people accusing me of killing her daughter,,, or teaching her how to kill her daughter. This was all sort of a strange joke at first given I had by far the most complex and convoluted way of making Trichloromethane ever devised. But I digress. Anyway, a simple risk vs reward calculation will show that spending large sums of money, and probably getting your name on a list, to buy chemicals and glassware for videos. Along with huge amounts of time needed to tape and edit said videos. All while dealing with the constant fear that your door will be kicked down and you will be used to make a name for the local District Attorney who will no doubt paint you as a drug manufacture/bomb making terrorist (what the hell else could you have been doing.. right?). Oh, and then there is also the the simple risk of killing one self (something we all know can happen unfortunately). But the main reason I quit making them is that I have a son now, those of you with kids I am sure can understand. Now what happens to me can have consequences for him.

In short, I know that what we do is not wrong.... but in a society that increasingly only sees what we do as making bombs or making drugs, something I am accused of every day, it is just not worth the risk.

On the other side I really appreciate everyone's support! Though I never did much commenting on the forum I did a lot of lurking.... and still do. Scienemadness is a great cornucopia of knowledge made up of some very talented people... much more talented than I.

Myst
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 08:04

I completely understand.

However, I also want to expose my children to subjects of higher learning from an early age to help broaden their horizons and give them an awareness of what else is out there. When they are close to graduating high school, I certainly do not want to hear they don't know what they want to do with their lives. At the very least, I hope to plant a seed of curiosity.
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 18:17

myst32,

While I am sadden that you won't be producing anymore videos, I do understand why you arn't. I am sure most of us do.

While many have this burden and i have gotten a few kicks to the stomach from family and coworkers. What makes it hard for me and tops the stupid meter is that I am also a firearm fan and collector. Which just adds to the issue. Stay safe and just reremember, when in time of need true power rests in those that have knowledge. Not in those who have a status.

I hope you at least stick around here and do us all a favor, for the next generations teach your kid what you know( when you feel he is of approprate age).

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-10-2014 at 22:17

myst32, I'm so sorry to hear that you won't be producing videos anymore... having kids can change that. I stop doing home chemistry for awhile when I had little kids to take care of... but now that my kids are in middle schooll... I've started doing chemistry at home again but now with my kids!!! I do all kinds of fun experiments... we're now doing acid-base titration, and occasionally, I'll do energetic chemistry but only on a very small scale to learn the science behind them. Overall, my kids love science and their curiosity is sparked about the world they live in.
But like Magpie shared in one of his post, i share my chemistry hobby with no one, period! Only my wife and kids know... not even my brother, parents, friends, or inlaws know. This is one hobby that you don't want to be openly sharing, as one mistake is all you need to lose everything...sad but a necessary precaution.

Good luck raising your kids...

[Edited on 29-10-2014 by jamit]
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 06:33

What a sad world it must be to live in constant fear, where you feel you must hide the things you enjoy from even your own parents.

I'm very open about what I do, because there is nothing wrong with what I do. My whole neighborhood knows me as 'the scientist' and I frequently do demonstrations at neighborhood block parties for the kids. I work as a scientist, I do science educational outreach, and I've appeard on the local news several times to promote science. It isn't something to be ashamed of or afraid of.
I will grant that I don't live in one of the more draconian areas like Texas, so I can understand if that is someone's situation. I just think it's a damn shame that seemingly half the people in this hobby feel the need to sneak around in the shadows about it.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 06:41

The fact of the matter is that people are afraid of things they don't understand.

We are a breed they absolutely DO NOT understand.

Considering the fact that all it takes is a concerned citizen to start an inquiry from the local authorities, it might be in one's best interest to just avoid the situation altogether. It really is up to the responding officer's "gut" to determine what actions to take from there. Next thing you know swat/hazmat is rummaging through your house and detaining you for questioning, which would be a VERY embarrassing situation. Then one of them decides that you shouldn't have these god awful "chemicals", and next they confiscate it. (has happened many times before, with or without prosecution)

[Edited on 29-10-2014 by Loptr]
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 15:29

i will always love those videos and some of the comments about the soft spoken narrator.maybe people would have wanted myst32 to have made a video about drugs that could be used on that little girl's momma's lethal injection.just goes to show you that the non-violent and non-criminal always fights an uphill battle to stay upright.
forgotpassword
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-11-2014 at 12:32

Myst32yt, your videos will be sadly missed.
They were narrated beautifully, they were interesting yet easy enough to understand.
They were a great resource for the amateur chemist.
I fully understand your reasons and I feel it's very responsible that you have decided to stop to take care of your children.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-11-2014 at 22:08

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
What a sad world it must be to live in constant fear, where you feel you must hide the things you enjoy from even your own parents.

Hey mrhomescientist, as a general rule, you should be careful too, as things can change very quickly. Just because things seem safe in your part of Florida and you can share your hobby with your neighbors... One mistake or someone doesn't like you, etc...and things can turn sour quickly. Plus lots of older generation live in Florida and that helps too, my father's generation grew up with chemistry sets and made stink bomb and other dangerous concoctions.

But for most Americans, the risk-reward assessment leads us to remain quiet and to go underground. I don't share with my parents not because they will turn me in to the local authority,but because I just keep it low key, plus my parents are retired and they live in Florida whereas I live in the Midwest.

Home chemistry is awesome but I rather not risk it by being open with neighbors and friends unless they too are into this hobby. Most people will never understand why anyone would store or make dangerous chemicals in their home even in small quantities and entertain themselves by doing chemistry experiments at home for their educational pleasure!

Edit by Texium: Fixed broken quote

[Edited on 1-28-2018 by Texium (zts16)]
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2018 at 09:54

I made some comments about a date rape drug, all in good humor but someone took offense. My first reaction was get a life, but as you never know why someone was offended, sometimes you got to look at it from another view.

I see it this way......... I will never know who moaned, or the reason why, they may just been one the whiners, or they may have a good reason. So because of this, I will gladly say sorry to whoever I offended. It was in bad taste in some ways, so for that I am sorry.

Most other topics I cause offense with, I tend to think the person is thinned skin and a muppet, but its a touchy subject so on reflection it is a true apology (this time).
MJ101
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Sunny

[*] posted on 17-6-2018 at 07:25

Quote: Originally posted by phlogiston  
It's not unprecedented for a sciencemadness member to get killed by his experiments (http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13813&...), so that is certainly a legitimate concern.

Also, I learned that it is (understandably) extremely difficult or even impossible to terminate facebook/youtube/other accounts if a friend or relative dies without leaving a record of passwords etc.

There have been several members here that stopped posting, but I suspect most of them simply lost interest. Perhaps it would be good if regulars that are going to stop their involvement here would post a brief message that they are ok. Just for the peace of mind of other members.

[Edited on 7-1-2014 by phlogiston]

When I read stories like this, not only does it break my heart, but it literally scares the daylights out of me.

I think it was put best by another member here, when he said: "He died in pursuit of scientific knowledge."

I'd like to add that He also died doing what he loved.

'Nuff said. I'll go back to reading and learning....

:)

Go To Top