Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Vacuum Distillation Confusion
organicchemist25
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 10:24

Sorry sbreheny, for not answering your questions directly and thank you for the compliment. I take the lab seriously. I love the hobby and plan on using the experience I gain for a research position or something similar.
That is a fume hood which has a organic vapor filter on it which filters out most organic fumes. It definitely will for the solvents and solutions I use. I actually built a small 10' x 12' shed/garage out in the middle of my yard. I wanted to keep it off of my house just in case of fire, my house would not go with it.

Thanks for your valued input too!
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 04:58

Ok, yes, a more complex and sophisticated setup is as you describe, this capillary bleed however only has one purpose, to eliminate bumping, which is generally exacerbated under vacuum. If bumping can be controlled in other ways (stirring, stones etc) then it is a complexity your distillation does not require.

cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 06:07
Vacuum Grease

I found that you can get a dielectric grease from Auto Zone in a spray can that is the same quality as Dow Corning.

Thought is an action, which when acted upon becomes work and sometimes art!
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 12:46

A tube of Dow-Corning lasts a career if used correctly. btw I use it as fly line greaser and fly floatant.

[Edited on 28-2-2014 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
organicchemist25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 13:01

Yeah, I bought some Dow high vacuum joint grease years ago and it still looks like I have never used any of it.

-And I have definitely got the reduced pressure distillation down now!
Thanks for everyone's input.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top