Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help with Benzoic Acids, Benzamides and Benzonitriles
mardyart
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2014 at 21:23
Help with Benzoic Acids, Benzamides and Benzonitriles

I recently saw a topic on here about converting Benzoic Acid to Benzamide using Urea.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4201&a...

Can this be done substituting o-Chlorobenzoic Acid?
Will it yield o-Chlorobenzamide?
Is this a Vapour Phase reaction?

If I mix the resulting benzamide with Sulfamic Acid and distill, will that yield o-Chlorobenzonitrile?

Thanks for your time
mardyart
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 18:49
Bump

Hi there. I'm wondering why no one replied? Does no one really know about this subject?
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 20:18

Probably because you are intending to make ketamine. Additionally most members like it when you bring something to the discussion, rather than "can I make z from y and x?".

Also if you want a quick reply to these types of questions you can post in the short questions thread.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2014 at 15:43

Quote: Originally posted by mardyart  
I recently saw a topic on here about converting Benzoic Acid to Benzamide using Urea.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4201&a...

Can this be done substituting o-Chlorobenzoic Acid?
Will it yield o-Chlorobenzamide?
Is this a Vapour Phase reaction?

If I mix the resulting benzamide with Sulfamic Acid and distill, will that yield o-Chlorobenzonitrile?

Thanks for your time

Urea vapour .... that's novel. Where did you get that idea?
mardyart
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 14:16

@mnick12

To start with, how dare you presume to tell me what I intend to do with the information. FYI I don't own any chemistry equipment to make even the smallest quantity of distilled water let alone set out on a factory grade operation. I'm simply discussing the chemistry.

What exactly am i supposed to bring to the discussion when I'm asking a question about a subject that I know nothing about. That's the whole point of asking isn't it? I thought that was the whole premise behind science; curiosity.

It's not like I just asked the question without first trying to find the info myself. I feel that the attitude you have shown me is the whole reason why these kinds of websites rarely provide meaningful discussion as there will always be someone out there who presumes and judges, as you have.

Rather than say something useful or helpful you have merely tried to label me. Why not actually give some insight if you have the knowledge otherwise stay out of the conversation. You act like a troll.

@Paddywhacker

I have very little knowledge about chemistry in the grand scheme of things. Only what I have picked up from High school and college. I am going to be attending university this year to start my Chemistry BSc. I wouldn't know if urea creates vapor or not. I was referring to the sublimation of the product.

However on further research, and proper reading, I have realised that a sublimation is when a substance passes from solid to gas and then with cooling goes straight back to a solid.

So since the referenced experiment mentions sublimation, something must pass into gas phase. I presumed this would be a vapor phase reaction but it seems my wording was wrong.

So to review that question; Is this a gas phase reaction?
What is going on here? Is the mixture reacting before the gas phase?

Also my previous question still requires an answer;
Can any species of benzoic acid be used to create it's benzamide using this reaction.

Thanks for your time

[Edited on 2-2-2014 by mardyart]
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 14:37

@mnick12

To start with, how dare you presume to tell me what I intend to do with the information. FYI I don't own any chemistry equipment to make even the smallest quantity of distilled water let alone set out on a factory grade operation. I'm simply discussing the chemistry.

What exactly am i supposed to bring to the discussion when I'm asking a question about a subject that I know nothing about. That's the whole point of asking isn't it? I thought that was the whole premise behind science; curiosity.

It's not like I just asked the question without first trying to find the info myself. I feel that the attitude you have shown me is the whole reason why these kinds of websites rarely provide meaningful discussion as there will always be someone out there who presumes and judges, as you have.

Rather than say something useful or helpful you have merely tried to label me. Why not actually give some insight if you have the knowledge otherwise stay out of the conversation. You act like a troll.

Members who have been here a while can easily tell peoples intentions by their post history and word choice. Don't play dumb, prior to this more than 70% of your posts have been in a thread devoted to ketamine synthesis. If you are not actually going to be doing any chemistry, why are you so interested in this particular compound?

You will find that while some people with similar interests may post, most people do not enjoy these types of posts.

mardyart
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 15:27

Why I have to explain myself is beyond me but if it will stop all the speculation and get a real answer to my questions then I will.

I used to be a ketamine addict. Since then I have been obsessed with it. Although I don't use anymore it's effects fascinated me so much I would one day love to be able to make it BUT in a professional capacity. I'm talking ten years down the line. As I stated in my previous reply I will be attending university this year to get my BSc. Then I would like to continue my studies and gain a doctorate. Eventually leading to a prospective job in the official manufacture of arylcyclohexylamines.

I'm just trying to get a head start. I'm not playing dumb. I'm not Walter White. So you can presume all you want but untill you know the facts, don't judge just answer my questions, OK :)
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2014 at 20:09

@mnick12
[garbage removed]
So to review that question; Is this a gas phase reaction?

You have repeated the question, so you must be seriously asking if urea undergoes gas-phase reactions with benzoic acid.

In order for a gas-phase reaction to occur, the reactants must be gasses. Even Walter White's sidekick would know that urea decomposes on heating. It does not form a gas.

If you want to learn organic chemistry then there are plenty of online resources for you to use. A useful approach is to look up the properties of your starting materials.

Go To Top