Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Find high temp thermometer
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

Mood: Busy studying chemistry at the University

[*] posted on 17-1-2014 at 20:36
Find high temp thermometer

Hi,

I've been looking for a high temperature glass thermometer (up to around 400 °C) and I didn't find anything. I guess some people here know where I could find one. Also note that I live in Canada so it must ship here!

Thank you
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 18-1-2014 at 08:52

Does it have to be glass? I use type K thermocouples all the time at those temperatures. You can get them with the
wires exposed, sleeved in stainless or ceramic, and so on. I've even inserted them down into a glass tube (sealed at one end)
that was full of heat-sink compound. This provided chemical resistance at high temperatures, while still giving heat transfer
to the probe.
bob800
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-1-2014 at 18:10

A more common temperature is a 360* C mercury thermometer. They are usually available on eBay for reasonable prices...
Muffn Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-1-2014 at 19:45

Over at http://www.alchemylabsupply.com/ you can get 360* C mercury thermometers for $15 plus shipping. They deliver to Canada because they are in Canada :P Near Toronto. ON.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2014 at 19:49

If you want thermocouples, I have some high temp ones. But glass therms mostly top out at 360C or less as noted.
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2014 at 20:10

Quote: Originally posted by Muffn Man  
Over at http://www.alchemylabsupply.com/ you can get 360* C mercury thermometers for $15 plus shipping. They deliver to Canada because they are in Canada :P Near Toronto. ON.

Wow thank you very much, I didn't even thought I would manage to find a supplier in Canada. And it's not expensive too. Thanks for the other answers too :)

And 360°C will be perfect, it can cover the majority of the reactions in which temperature needs to be controlled.

By the way, If anyone knows any chemicals/glassware suppliers in Canada that sells to individuals please tell me. I only know of prolabscientific.com and newhorizonsscientific.ca and both are high priced and many products are restricted. Other than than, main suppliers as Sigma-Aldrich and Anachemia does not sell to individuals ! I usually use Ebay or US suppliers but shipping and customs fees are expensive.

[Edited on 19-1-2014 by alexleyenda]
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 19-1-2014 at 04:51

this

and

this

less then 10 $/€, works perfect, can be calibrated (little screw inside, not officially this but its no problem.
does NOT switch off by itself whats a pest (the switching off of most digital termometers and scales), 9V battery lasts a long time an better take two not because they are not relieable, they are, but because you will love it.

With a 2ml pipette, molten shut at the tip you get a chemical resistant thermometer pocket for universal use.

Why anybody still uses hard to read and easy to brake old style thermometers except for nostalgia is beyond me.

/ORG

[Edited on 19-1-2014 by Organikum]

Irgendwas is ja immer
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-1-2014 at 10:59

Your links are broken Organikum.
Muffn Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-1-2014 at 09:12

If you live near London since they don't ship any glassware:
http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/products/173-Flasks-Beakers...

These folks DO ship glassware, they are in Winnipeg: http://www.organicglassware.com

Not in Canada but great prices and selection (DO ship glassware to Canada):
http://laboyglass.com/

If they have what you need in stock, alchemylabsupply has spectacular service, fast shipping and great prices. Many items are sold out : (

Last but not least, the good old Government of Canada:
https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?&snc=wfsav&sc=ac...

Most of the sellers/government departments don't ship so if you aren't in any of the locations listed to pick up, not great at all. I for one live in Ottawa which has the largest concentration of Government offices...
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 20-1-2014 at 13:28

works for me but lets try this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Digital-Temperaturmessgerat-Thermomet...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2x-Digital-Thermometer-Probe-90mm-Typ...

Irgendwas is ja immer
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-1-2014 at 16:56

Thanks Muffn man ! Though alchemy's price are really incredibly lows, I guess the glassware is quite a good step lower quality than pyrex, kimax etc... stuff ? Even cheap chinese glassware is more expensive than alchemy's !

Your links still lead me to a broken page Organikum :o I took a screenshot...
http://hpics.li/6b4b05b

[Edited on 21-1-2014 by alexleyenda]

Muffn Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-1-2014 at 19:24
Alchemy lab supply

I like Alchemy Lab Supply a whole bunch. Their products are not quite Pyrex or Kimax quality but I have not seen any complaints. Do a search of the Reagents and Apparatus Acquisition section and check out what folks are saying about the quality of their wares. Reports are all very positive.

The only bad thing I have to say is that many items I would love to order are sold out. I think I will write Saro an email tomorrow and find out if he is re-stocking or going out of business slowly.
Muffn Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-1-2014 at 19:39
New Horizons Scientific

Just because the website says that something is restricted, it doesn't mean that they won't sell it to you. I ordered 2.5L of 98% Sulfuric Acid, supposedly restricted, and got it. If I were to place another order with them, though, I would instruct them to leave the package at the Purolator distribution center and call when it is ready for pickup. They tried to deliver at my home address but nobody is home during the day most of the time. It caused me a delay of a few days. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things but something to think about if you are in a similar situation.

Another thing is that the shipping was a total of $50. $25 for the actual shipping, $25 for the hazardous material surcharge.
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-1-2014 at 20:29

Just because the website says that something is restricted, it doesn't mean that they won't sell it to you. I ordered 2.5L of 98% Sulfuric Acid, supposedly restricted, and got it. If I were to place another order with them, though, I would instruct them to leave the package at the Purolator distribution center and call when it is ready for pickup. They tried to deliver at my home address but nobody is home during the day most of the time. It caused me a delay of a few days. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things but something to think about if you are in a similar situation.

Another thing is that the shipping was a total of $50. $25 for the actual shipping, $25 for the hazardous material surcharge.

Sadly they are in BC and i'm in QC so it costs me the product's price in shipping even without hazard fees... It's sad because it,s probably the best chemical supplier in Canada :/ Here I have prolab scientific but it's sh_t, their prices are high, many products are unavailable to individuals, they don't have so much products...

Muffn Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-1-2014 at 09:00
ACP Chemicals

Have you ever dealt with ACP Chemicals out of Montreal? They supply New Horizons' Sulfuric Acid. They might be worth a try. I have not dealth with them so I don't know.
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-1-2014 at 09:30

Have you ever dealt with ACP Chemicals out of Montreal? They supply New Horizons' Sulfuric Acid. They might be worth a try. I have not dealth with them so I don't know.

Just like anachemia and aldrich, they only deal with companies :/
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-1-2014 at 11:49

I dealt with http://www.alchemylabsupply.com/ and that was an awesome experience. I ordered yesterday and received today a well packaged 0-360°C mercury thermometer for a very low price (21 $ thermometer + shipping). It is still hard to believe how fast it was.

[Edited on 22-1-2014 by alexleyenda]
Muffn Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-1-2014 at 13:09
Chemical supplier in Mississauga

Some folks say that the prices are comparatively high but they don't have a hazardous materil surcharge so you save $25 right off the bat. I think they deal with individuals, not sure though. http://alphachem.ca/index.php

Glad to see that your experience with Alchemy Lab Supply was as good as mine.
alexleyenda
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-1-2014 at 13:39

I'll look at it, thanks.

Go To Top