Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Zinc Thermite?
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2014 at 11:01

@Oscillator:

It's not the density per se that I believe may have an influence but rather better contact between the reagents. The original Red Label ZnO I used has an apparent density of only 0.2 g/ml, as opposed to an actual density of 5.6 g/ml: that's an awful lot of air! I believe this low apparent density is due to structure of the ZnO grains (highly branched), which may not be conducive to good contact between the reagents. This contact may loosely correlate with apparent density of the termite mixture, even though density itself means nothing (low density oxides like SiO2 can also be 'thermited')

My prepared ZnO is now fully ready and I may test it later on tonight, if not tomorrow.

[Edited on 28-1-2014 by blogfast25]

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-1-2014 at 13:08

The apparent density of the homemade ZnO weighed in at 0.98 g/ml, still quite low.

The first test with 20.6 g of this ZnO and 4.6 g Al 32 micron, ignited again with KClO3 + Al and Mg ribbon as fuse, lasted longer than any other attempt so far, produced a lot of smoke but fizzled out after about a minute. On inspection it was clear that only a small portion of the mixture had reacted. Here’s the set up BEFORE ignition:

The non-combusted part of the mix was recovered, sieved and another 4.6 g of Al powder added and mixed in very thoroughly.

And this mixture flashed, big style: for about 1 second the assembly looked like an inverted rocket motor, with a 1 m high flame, which died out as instantly as it had come about. Lots of smoke wafted away (I was up wind).

On inspection the crucible showed to be basically empty:

Close up of the crucible:

At 4 o'clock are what I believe to be the remains of the ignition mix.

Note that Siedfried's account (sadly lacking in detail) mentions a ZnO/Al ratio close to the mixture that flashed. Whether a ZnO/Al self-sustaining mixture of stoichiometric ratio is possible remains an open question.

[Edited on 28-1-2014 by blogfast25]

symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 9-12-2020 at 10:05

Although this is referring to zinc oxide as the oxidizer has anyone tried copper oxide and zinc
Or other transition metals oxides with zinc
I imagine oxides of
Copper
Nickel
Bismuth
Lead
Indium
Gallium
Tin
Cobalt
Possibly manganese
I'd have to double check references on this.

Zinc and copper oxide
https://youtu.be/43KTuDdMviA

[Edited on 9-12-2020 by symboom]

Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 21:05

If your aim is to obtain cheap zinc metal there’s about 5g per penny post 1982

Edit: I’ve seen copper oxide used in videos and it is less than tame. The reaction goes off in a faction of a second spewing material everywhere

[Edited on 14-12-2020 by Opylation]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top