Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Organic chemistry Experiments Think Tank
Jmap science
Yet another ID of SimpleChemist-238

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 07:52
Organic chemistry Experiments Think Tank

Finding organic chemistry experiments can be difficult. I recently purchased naphthaline and dichlorobenzene. Do you know any compounds I can make from these. I have been doing organic chemistry for 2 months.

One compound I would like to make is naphthanol or 1-hydroxyphenol. I know if you nitrate naphthaline you can them reduce it to a amine. I have a magnetic stirs, beakers, flasks, distillation equipment.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 08:01

You can easily make the mono nitro NAPHTHALENE. You could then reduce it with tin to the amine and nitrosate it to make the diazonium salt, and decompose it to the hydroxy compound.

Another way could be sulphation and molten base threatement to get the desired hydroxy compound.

I never asked for this.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 08:17

Naphthalene can be sulfonated and used to make sodium 1 and 2 naphthalene sulfonate. Then you can go from there via alkali fusion to 1 and 2 naphthols which are useful in various syntheses. A nice project is fiesers naphthol yellow "challenge" which can be found in google to make 6-7 dyes starting from the naphthols. Search the forum for "synthesis of 1 and 2 naphthols" user benzylchloride did a nice write up in there.

I believe there is also a thread by magpie about the preparation of martius yellow. Just keep in mind that alkali fusions are very dangerous as you are dealing with molten KOH, but appropriate safety gear makes it relatively safe.

Making neat dyes from mothballs, who would have thought :P
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 08:32

I don't think fusions with molten alkali are suitable experiments for someone completely new to organic chemistry. I'm also afraid that the dichlorobenzene (commonly found in mothballs) is relatively useless for experimentation.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 08:52

I missed the part about two months doing o-chem... Still, on a small scale behind a glass shield it isn't that bad. Depends on how much attention to detail and planning ahead of time is put into it I suppose. The products are all solids which makes work up quite simple for a beginner... And the colors are nice...just something to think about since jmap mentioned building a fume hood in another thread.

My recent martius yellow :)

image.jpg - 39kB

[Edited on 25-1-2014 by Mailinmypocket]
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 15:09

I don't have much experience doing organic chemistry, but a personal favorite is the sulfanation and nitration of recrystalized aspirin tablets all the way to TNP. It is trivial enough that most anyone can do it, but tricky enough to provide a challenge. It is also relatively safe, as long as you mind the temps and nitration fumes.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 23:12

The production of naphthylamines by, for example, the reduction of nitro-naphthylenes is a very big no-no. 2-naphthylamine used to be available a couple of generations ago but it is no longer manufactured because of its carcinogenicity.
papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 26-1-2014 at 01:45

I wonder if there's a doable way from naphtalene to phtalic acid(anhydride), and then to go with common luminol synthesis. Will dichromate work for oxidation?

Go To Top