Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why NG does not used ?
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 04:25
Why NG does not used ?

I just always wonderring why nitroguanidine does not used in military as a TNT substitute or watever, as long as it is very storage stabe, insensitive with high VoD cheap and easy to make!
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 07:02

The nitramines, RDX and HMX out-perform both TNT and NG . . .

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 07:07

Yeah, TNT isn't used as much anymore ether, but TNT had the advantage that it would explode after it went though a building, (propelled by a rocket or whatever), thus doing much more damage than if it exploded on contact.

Edit: And, even though NG can be stabilized, it's hard to beat the stability and reliability of TNT.

[Edited on 29-1-2014 by Zyklonb]

Hennig Brand
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 07:24

Actually, TNT is still one of the most commonly used explosives. It is used for military and industrial applications.

From Wikipedia:

"TNT is one of the most commonly used explosives for military and industrial applications. It is valued partly because of its insensitivity to shock and friction, which reduces the risk of accidental detonation, compared to other more sensitive high explosives such as nitroglycerin. TNT melts at 80 °C (176 °F), far below the temperature at which it will spontaneously detonate, allowing it to be poured as well as safely combined with other explosives. TNT neither absorbs nor dissolves in water, which allows it to be used effectively in wet environments. Additionally, it is stable compared to other high explosives."

I know Wikipedia is not the greatest reference, but it is usually right about most things.

As to the OP's question, a cost benefit analysis would have been done and there would definitely be more than one factor involved. Sometimes when a resource is in high demand, for more than one application, a substitute will be used if possible for some of those applications so that the original material can be used for the application where it is most valuable.

[Edited on 29-1-2014 by Hennig Brand]

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 09:57

Combat engineers use majority of the TNT in military for demolition.
Wherever a bulk quantity charges are required like cratering charges etc.

I believe naval ordnance still use TNT composition for the fillings.

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 10:29

The only reason TNT is still interesting is it's castable and can make low sensitivity mixtures. Btw nitroguanidine has less energy density then TNT and less stability then TATB. What makes it uniquely good, except as a propellant component?
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 14:11

I don't think that's the only reason that it's interesting, but the fact that it's castable is a great ability that it has.

Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 04:57

I wasn't suggesting that I thought nitroguanidine was a suitable replacement for TNT, or that it was a great explosive. I was just giving a few possible reasons why one material might be used over another for a particular application. To tell the truth I don't know much about nitroguanidine, except that it is a common ingredient in triple base smokeless powders. One of the biggest advantages of TNT is that it makes such good use of resources. On an industrial scale the production of TNT makes extremely efficient use of resources.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij

Go To Top