Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Got Pyridine?
Pathos
Harmless

Mood: Quixotic

biggrin.gif posted on 29-1-2014 at 05:33
Got Pyridine?

I don't suppose any of you fine fellows (or ladies..?) wants to sell or trade me a tiny bit of your extra Pyridine?? Hehhe I'm sure you're all pretty excited about the idea but don't all PM me at once! :P

PLUS there's a small catch! See I've actually already ordered some - its just taking foreevveerr - scheduled to arrive between Feb 10th & 20th. And that just won't do! Sooo if you can get a tiny bit to me sooner than that, I'll pay top dollar! Yes I have Paypal, and am located in the Pac-NW USA.

Also would happily trade for it...here's a small list of some stuff I've got in excess, or feel free to ask if you're looking for something special & think I might have it for whatever reason.

Aniline
Benzene
Benzyl Alcohol
CCl4
EtOH
GAA
HCl(12N)
Mercurous Chloride (??) [lol]
MeOH
NaBH4
Nitric Acid (Fuming)
Phenol Barbitol <- [HA! Don't have very much of this, but some.]
Propionic Acid
Toluene
Xylene

Hmm that's what I can remember off the top of my head for now...will edit in more items as I remember them or once I look. Again I'm just hoping to buy/trade for a tiny bit of Pyridine, otherwise not really looking to sell my stuff (but you're welcomed to ask).

Lastly, just gotta say that if your only reaction to this post is a desire to respond with an EXTREMELY UNHELPFUL "Well shucks how do we know you're legit with so few posts?" remark of some sort...Please seek a better use of your time...Yes, I've only posted a few times before - Sorry. At least I've had my account for awhile now, and really do love this forum! Plus we can certainly get to know each other better over PM if interested. And that's about all there is to say about that.

Thanks for your time! :D

"Hoc natura est insitum, ut quem timueris, hunc semper oderis"
~
"It is an innate thing for people to always hate what they've learned to fear"
-Roman Proverb-
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 06:24

Too bad I've used all my pyridine, or I would have liked to trade for some CCl4...

EtOH would be nice to as I don't have that right now, although a tiny amount wouldn't be all that useful...
How much is a tiny amount anyway?

[Edited on 29-1-2014 by Zyklonb]

SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 08:40

I'm not naming names, but a parcel of this left on my porch had both caps unscrewed, and the cardboard SATURATED. Virtually nothing was salvageable. I can only imagine the poor postal deliver worker who had to deliver this. Everything had to be completely incinerated/mineralized - no lamp black escaping from this destruction. All I can say is NEVER AGAIN. I'll crush up vitamins and do a destructive distillation if I have to have some pyridine. Yeah, it really made my day. And this was just a boutique purchase, for nothing in particular. You can keep your reagent and if you want to refund me you know my email address.

Why?.

"Old men who speak of victory
shed light upon their stolen life
they - drive by night- and act as if they're
moved by unheard music." B. Currie
Pathos
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 09:30

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
Too bad I've used all my pyridine, or I would have liked to trade for some CCl4...

EtOH would be nice to as I don't have that right now, although a tiny amount wouldn't be al that useful...
How much is a tiny amount anyway?

I'd be happy with 10mL-50mL or whatever's clever...If it was to be a trade situation I wouldn't really be expecting a strict 1mL per 1mL trade. For example, I'd happily part with 100mL - 200mL EtOH or more because I realize that <50mL of it wouldn't be much good to anyone lolz ;)

~
-Roman Proverb-
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 09:36

Right... well to bad, wish I could help you out, but I'm out right now and I wont have any before you get yours. Maybe next time.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 10:19

Quote: Originally posted by SM2  
I'm not naming names, but a parcel of this left on my porch had both caps unscrewed, and the cardboard SATURATED. Virtually nothing was salvageable. I can only imagine the poor postal deliver worker who had to deliver this.

I can't imagine the post office dealing with anything as malodorous as pyridine in an incompletely sealed bottle. The whole office would have reeked of rotting fish.

If you ever have to send stuff like this, seal the bottle. Wrap it in parafilm. Put it in a ziploc bag. Seal the ziploc bag, and put it inside another one.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Pathos
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 10:49

Quote: Originally posted by SM2  
I'm not naming names, but a parcel of this left on my porch had both caps unscrewed, and the cardboard SATURATED. Virtually nothing was salvageable. I can only imagine the poor postal deliver worker who had to deliver this. Everything had to be completely incinerated/mineralized - no lamp black escaping from this destruction. All I can say is NEVER AGAIN. I'll crush up vitamins and do a destructive distillation if I have to have some pyridine. Yeah, it really made my day. And this was just a boutique purchase, for nothing in particular. You can keep your reagent and if you want to refund me you know my email address.

Why?.

Uhm, very sorry to hear that you had such a bad past experience acquiring pyridine! I'm not sure who you were dealing with but it sounds like it was just an unfortunate accident or maybe sub-par packaging from the sender? And if you think that story was bad...Just imagine the horror I felt a year or so ago when I received a similarly damaged/leaking bottle - of a particularly nasty acyl halide!:o The cap had apparently been over-tightened and eventually cracked, thus leaking the stuff allllll over the inside of the 'sealed' outer bag around the bottle. It had just started seeping through the seams of the bag and out into nature when I got to it. I knew something was up when I could smell my package from 10ft away. Pretty Fun Stuff! Would be very happy to never experience that again. lol

PS When you say you'll "crush up vitamins and do a destructive distillation.." I'm guessing you're referring to the pyridine synthesis outlined by Magpie et al. using (if memory serves me) Niacin tablets for Nicotinic acid and Copper complexes to yield pyridine? I briefly considered that route as well, but don't think I have the copper complexes laying around and don't really want to make them...

~
-Roman Proverb-
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 12:45

Quote: Originally posted by Pathos  
I briefly considered that route as well, but don't think I have the copper complexes laying around and don't really want to make them...

CuO powder is also effective, though possibly with slightly lower yield than the chromite.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 18:00

I have a lot of pyridine. Are you sure of the mercury salt? Not many people buy calomel for chemistry purposes. HgCl2 is more useful. If you had the latter we could talk.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Pathos
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 20:35

Everything listed is at least reagent grade, primarily from Fisher or Sigma-Aldrich. It's funny because I've been holding onto the HgCl in particular for awhile now with no real need for it - but had a hunch it would prove itself useful someday.

It's an ancient(~50yrs?), never-been-opened 1/4lb (Yes it actually says 1/4lb is the quantity! lol) or 113.4g bottle of:

MERCUROUS CHLORIDE
(POWDER)
HgCl
ANALYTICAL REAGENT

Also "Meets A.C.S. Specifications" ... from Mallinckrodt ... Hell I'll just post a picture so everyone can appreciate this nostalgia lol

It looks like the label started falling off at some point about 25yrs ago or so, and someone slapped some tape on it. The tape is now ancient as well, its adhesive all but turned to dust...

2.HgCl.jpg - 241kB 1.HgCl.jpg - 275kB

~
-Roman Proverb-
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 08:10

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

I can't imagine the post office dealing with anything as malodorous as pyridine in an incompletely sealed bottle. The whole office would have reeked of rotting fish.

I can imagine it, they would charge them with federal crimes for shipping chemicals illegally. The post office is VERY strict about the rules on shipping almost any hazardous chemicals, which is that most are illegal to ship via them. That does not mean that they many of the shipments, they don't, but if it leaks, they will come for you.

If you are going to ship any chemical, you are much better to do it via UPS or FedEx, as they are much more familiar with shipping chemicals, and you are less likely to be arrested. Also, there are rules that allow the shipping of < 35g/ml of many chemicals as a "small sample", which can simplify the process, but still requires being trained, packaging the chemical correctly, and labeling it all correctly. Sealing the bottle with parafilm, and double, or triple bagging it (along with some paper towels to absorb spills) is all part of that process. Non-hazardous solids are not as bad, but even those might bring the FBI to your door if they leak powders.
Pathos
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 08:54

Hmmmm Wow. Thank you for sharing your insight with us, Bob, that is some very fascinating info about the USPS that I'll carry with me for years to come. Probably accurate too, huh?

Except...wait...didn't SM2 specifically say:
Quote:

...but a parcel of this left on my porch had both caps unscrewed, and the cardboard SATURATED. Virtually nothing was salvageable. I can only imagine the poor postal deliver worker who had to deliver this.

It kinda sounds like they did in fact handle & deliver it...without any federal charges filed whatsoever. Whaaaaaat!:o
Moral of the story: Never under-estimate people's ability to take the lazy-route if it means less paperwork before getting off at the end of the day.

Which leads me to my next question.............

You, uh.. got any Pyridine?

~
-Roman Proverb-

Go To Top