Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Winter sun looks dark
maxpayne
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 17:49

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
This is an interesting effect but if you wish to view the sun just get a pair of welders glasses so you can just look at it directly and clearly.

Thank you again for wise advice, I'll do it that way (again only short exposure).

Also thanks zyklonb for testing, you did not get permanent damage of any kind. But, don't do it anymore, there is no point you risk anything.

Man has two worst enemies: Mosquitoes & capitalists; both are deadly parasites.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 17:49

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
@IrC, Are you saying that very short exposers (one time of looking at the sun for <15 seconds) can have such a drastic affect in your later years?

Who knows without specific measurements of radiation flux at the moment. It will take time for damaged clumps of cells to break away and start floating around in the fluid in the eye. Cannot be answered given the information you supplied. One thing I know for sure is if so, the day will come you start noticing it and there is nothing you can do to fix it. I could probably learn to live missing a limb and still enjoy my science. Impossible if I were blind.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 17:53

That's the point. The dark glass allows you to view the sun without royally fucking your eyes. Ya'll are asking for cataracts doing this.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 17:59

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
That's the point. The dark glass allows you to view the sun without royally fucking your eyes. Ya'll are asking for cataracts doing this.

Oh, I see, I thought you suggested using welding goggles to explore the phenomena, not just to look at the sun.

maxpayne
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 18:11

I just touched the papers about UV causing cataracts and already found a piles of controversies. This is more like "Your brain on you know what" or "Global warming" with data that fits our idea.

Come on, everybody knows that day to day exposure WILL make changes but looking to the sun, in winter, one or two time only for couple of seconds will NEVER do any permanent damage to any eye.

Also, the sun is raying to your eyes when you drive, work, walk, etc. and no one is complaining about eye damage.

It is ok to find mechanism for everything, but let's keep it real.

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 19:26

Quote: Originally posted by maxpayne  
Come on, everybody knows that day to day exposure WILL make changes but looking to the sun, in winter, one or two time only for couple of seconds will NEVER do any permanent damage to any eye.
If this isn't trolling, I don't know what is. This thread is heading toward Detritus, and fast. Staring directly at the sun causes retinal damage; and that's a fact.

Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 29-1-2014 at 20:46

Anyone who thinks it does anything other than eye damage should be exposed as a dumbass. I remember when I was 13 or 14 my dad watched a documentary about people who thrive on sun without eating or drinking anything. He told me it's possible and having the scientific mindset myself I wanted to experiment if it was true. My dad told me a lot of, let me use a gentle word nonsense stuff when I was younger in terms of protecting my health. While ignoring healthy practices and providing me with stuff like this, telling me to use homeopathy to heal allergies. Belief in tarot. I could go on and on. Thanks god I never tried to "sungaze".

But the fact is that anyone who spreads dangerous misinformation should be exposed to protect others. There is nothing worse than that. Call me inquisitor like my dad does after I no longer believe it but it's only for the better.
maxpayne
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 06:10

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
Quote: Originally posted by maxpayne  
If this isn't trolling, I don't know what is. This thread is heading toward Detritus, and fast. Staring directly at the sun causes retinal damage; and that's a fact.

It is you and your follower minister who is ruining everything in this thread. And you should know why.

The problem is not what you do, but how and the way you do it. All your claims are backed by some amphetamine induced sun gazing without any complete scientific papers or references . All you have is raw data represented by neutral sentences on wikipedia, which many times do not have any meaning at all.

You see, there is a big difference if something will happen or can happen. Behind those two, there is a big world of everything, and small world of understanding. You are in the big world and big lies is what you get. There is nowhere in this thread I ever push someone to do it, or spread the idea of doing, all I want was explanation of effect. Once I got it, you came to judge with your uncontrollable desire to add one more post to your already gigantic misunderstanding you've done before.

sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

biggrin.gif posted on 26-4-2014 at 20:01
burning ants with a magnifying glass

I bet some of you guys probably did that when you
were kids, right?

For some of you, that was not very long ago either...LOL :)

But seriously, staring at the sun does exactly the same
thing. Think about it:

There is a lense, which focuses an image (of the sun, a
very hot small dot), on your retina.

Your eye's lense is the magnifying glass.
Your retina is the ant.

QED...
:cool:

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top