Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gas mask
thesmug
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 19:48
Gas mask

I am currently looking for a gas mask for use with organics and fuming chemicals. The one that I am currently thinking about is this one:
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-half-facepiece-reusable-respirator-...

And this cartridge:
http://www.shop3m.com/3m-multi-acid-gas-organic-vapor-cartri...

Does this seem like a good choice to you? If not, what do you recommend?
Fenir
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 20:17

I would personally suggest the Israeli civilian gas mask with a NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) filter. The filter is the NATO standard and last a reasonable time.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 20:19

Looks like a decent all-around filter. Of course there are plenty of things that will probably make it through those filters unscathed so the only way you will know it is a good choice is on a case by case basis. Just be aware of what you are working on and if your filter is rated for it. Of course with a half-face you also have your eyes as a remaining liability. Goggles and glasses (unless you were wearing diving goggles) don't protect your eyes from gases, chlorine, ammonia, plenty of lachramators will still tear at your eyes given the chance. Of course there is the social liability of wearing a full-face mask (neighbors tend to treat it much more suspiciously) as well as comfort and cost to consider.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 20:22

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Looks like a decent all-around filter. Of course there are plenty of things that will probably make it through those filters unscathed so the only way you will know it is a good choice is on a case by case basis. Just be aware of what you are working on and if your filter is rated for it. Of course with a half-face you also have your eyes as a remaining liability. Goggles and glasses (unless you were wearing diving goggles) don't protect your eyes from gases, chlorine, ammonia, plenty of lachramators will still tear at your eyes given the chance. Of course there is the social liability of wearing a full-face mask (neighbors tend to treat it much more suspiciously) as well as comfort and cost to consider.

I was thinking of a full face one, but the $200 price tag killed it for me. Plus, I already have the face mask I listed here. I just need the filters. On 3M's website it says that the filters protect from general Acid and Organic vapors, as well as Ammonia, Formaldehyde and, strangely, Methylamine.
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 20:23

Quote: Originally posted by Fenir  
I would personally suggest the Israeli civilian gas mask with a NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) filter. The filter is the NATO standard and last a reasonable time.

Where might I buy this?
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 21:39

I found another cartridge which seems to offer better protection:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Cartridge-Filter-Respiratory-Protec...

What do you guys think?
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 01:26

you should choose the cartridge based on what type of gas you are likely to be exposed to.

http://www.lbl.gov/ehs/chsp/html/OdorThresholds-3MRespirator...
has some guides on the type of filter/cartridge to be used based on the gas (Ctrl-F is your friend)
also do remember that the gas masks are only for use for gases below the IDLH concentration (immediately dangerous to life and health)
i personally use a 3M 6000 full face respirator and haven't found any fault with it yet
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 02:15
Related thread

www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2374#pid15218...

Techniques to Disrupt, Deviate and Seize Control of an Internet Forum In case you wonder W T F ! is going on here ?
www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-10-28/cointelpro-techniques-dilution-misdirection-and-control-internet-forum https://web.archive.org/web/20120814124000/www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/08/the-15-rules-of-internet-disinformation.html
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 07:55

I have to agree that a full face respirator is much better for most chemicals, if there is chlorine, ammonia, etc, it will be painful/harmful to your eyes just as fast as your lungs, maybe worse for them. If you are only worried about particulates or toxic solids, then the half face is OK. But in my experience, they are not much help in the hazardous areas that I have had to deal with, as dust, silica, acids, benzyl halides, etc are very irritating to my eyes.
PeeWee2000
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 17:27

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-soviet-USSR-military-black-r...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-USSR-gas-mask-FILTER-for-PBF...

I personally use this one seems to work for most of my stuff, I usually use it in combo with fume extractor though. I really like it because it covers your whole face top of your head and side of your head and the filters are on the sides so you're not breathing what you're facing.. I have tested it with things like ammonia and chloramine and cant smell them at all when im wearing it. From what I can tell when buying a gas mask the more cheap they are the harder it is to breathe.
I dont know for your area but the isralei style gas masks are avalible at my local military surplus store for ~5-10$ no new filters though, the filters closer to 25-40$ a piece, compared to the 20$ Russian PBF mask and 6$ pair of filters. When shopping keep in mind you need to have fresh filters and the price can really add up so try to find one with cheap filters.
Also before buying your gas mask do some research on it alot of ones avalible to civilians at cheap prices are because they were flawed and became obsolete, and therefore are not safe.

“Everything is relative in this world, where change alone endures.”

― Leon Trotsky
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 17:50

i have a czech double filter and ammonia odor still is detectable but faintly and no tears so they are good. i have a russian anteater looking one with a single canister full of charcoal and is what i would probably use if cyanide was in the air.army surplus has them cheap for about 19 dllrs. and filters sold separately in a sealed package,also cheap.better than nothing.
Shikimol69
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 18:57

3M is way TOO expensive, and you don't have to buy 3M filters for your half facepiece mask : the "click-fit" system has been copied by a lot of manufacturer and their masks/filters are just as reliable and much much cheaper...
Got a fullpiece mask I bought a year ago, it costs me half the price of the 3M mask with the same design (Sperian opti-fit twin) with 6 pairs of ABEKP3 filters (EU standard). You may sometime feel unconfortable with such kind of apparatus, but it's worth your lacrymal system or corneal safety.
Take a look at Sperian, it's a manufacturer among others.
BTW : it's better to use 1 filter (or pair) for 1 specific use to avoid cross-contamination with chemicals, so buy a couple if needed...
weeksie98
Harmless

Mood: Pretty protic

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 10:17

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but if anyone else is looking for gas respirators, I would seriously consider looking on eBay and searching for the GSR (general service respirator). GB has just replaced its military respirators, and many of these brand spanking new GSRs are popping up on eBay with bags and spare CBRN filters. Apparently they are quite comfortable too. :):D

'If organic chemistry were easy, it would be known as "biology".'
thebean
Hazard to Others

Mood: Deprotonated

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 10:21

I personally got mine at Home Depot, I know it's not perfect but it's pretty nice. It's rated for almost all commonly encountered fumes in a lab. HF, HCl, SO2, NOx (to a lesser extent), formaldehyde, and a wide variety of organic solvents. I'd go with the Israeli mask if you've got a decent amount of money, I was on a bit of a budget.

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things."
-Henry Rollins
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 16:57

I think I might need one of these for walking around the streets in my town where there is currently an uncontrolled coal mine fire. The whole town is shrouded in coal smoke and there have been many hospitalisations from carbon monoxide poisoning, let alone the obvious respiratory issues you'd expect.
thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 16:59

Quote: Originally posted by ZIGZIGLAR  
I think I might need one of these for walking around the streets in my town where there is currently an uncontrolled coal mine fire. The whole town is shrouded in coal smoke and there have been many hospitalisations from carbon monoxide poisoning, let alone the obvious respiratory issues you'd expect.

:o Where do you live? I wish you the best of luck!
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 17:05

http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/experts-called-in-as-...

Near there?

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 17:08

Quote: Originally posted by thesmug  
Quote: Originally posted by ZIGZIGLAR  

:o Where do you live? I wish you the best of luck!

Australia - in one of the largest coal mining areas in the country. The Government is censoring media coverage heavily and the whole event is being significiantly downplayed, which is concerning. I have detected a thick film of sulphur dioxide deposits all over our house and car and even members of my own family are displaying the text book symptoms of smoke intoxication and carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Gov is being elusive and the only data they have given us is next to useless - ie an "air quality index" rating, rather than actual data like dangerous gas ppm levels etc Mind you, the scale is 0-150, 150 being the worst and our air quality is currently sitting at 950.

I think coal smoke contains a lot of metal particles and carcinogens that will likely cause a lot of long term health effects over the course of ongoing exposure. The fires are not expected to be extingished any time soon.

Go To Top