Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PERACETIC ACID
equine66
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 21:43
PERACETIC ACID

I have a micro brewery I understand peracetic acid is a good sanitizer. I understand with Sulphuric acid, Acetic Acid Glacial and H2O2 (22%) is all you need. I would like somebody's help out there who knows how to produce PAA 5% with these component and what equipment and condition required. TQ.:D

[Edited on 7-2-2014 by equine66]
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
7-2-2014 at 04:46
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 04:55

I use Bruclean most of the time, plus some Stayclean and sodium metabisulphite to keep surfaces and kit from going mouldy.
I occasionally use sodium hypochlorite to remove stubborn stains followed by dilute hydrogen peroxide and then a water rinse.
My water goes through a UV steriliser so it is bacteria free but if you have mains water it should be OK.
You do not have to get everything completely sterile, just reasonably so.
On a 25 litre scale you can do a lot with a few kettles full of boiling water sluiced over everything.
Wort with it's quite high sugar content and hop extract is not that bacteria friendly, the brew is under anaerobic conditions when fermenting and in store which is not good for most moulds, etc.
Peracetic acid is a good steriliser but it is also quite corrosive which I think is the reason it is not sold for amateur use.
jock88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2014 at 14:31

You can get peracetic acid at the local farm store where I am.

Stuff like this:
HOHO added for good measure in this product!

http://www.pestcontrol.basf.co.uk/agroportal/pc_uk/en/rural_...

Go To Top