Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: OTC H2SO4 and NaOH are gone...
HoH
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 16:39

Thank you for the replies.

If I may ask, when using EtOAc for organic phase extractions, do you lose some of the ethyl acetate to water? I have noticed that when using DCM in the same manner, you lose a percentage of DCM to H2O after separation of the non-polar phase. Is this the same for Ethyl Acetate or should you be able to recover 100% of the solvent without any loss?
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 06:21

Quote: Originally posted by HoH  

If I may ask, when using EtOAc for organic phase extractions, do you lose some of the ethyl acetate to water?

Solubility in water is 8.3g/100ml at 20C.
So yes, there is a lot of loss.
This also effects your yields.
Ethyl ether is 6.9g/100ml so it isn't
a lot worse then that.
But chloroform is .8g/100ml and
hexane is practically insoluble.
HoH
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 14:25

I apologize, I completely forgot that info is on the MSDS. It seems that DCM would be a better alternative but a more costly alternative.

Last night I picked up a quart of MEK substitute from Home Depot and as I am distilling it, I am noticing the thermometer is reading 66c as the mystery solvent is distilling one drop per second. The oil bath is reading 92c.

To my knowledge, 66c is Tetrahydrofuran! Ethyl Acetate was expected to read 77c, hence my setting the temp of the oil bath to the low 90's to compensate 10 degrees. If ethyl acetate was present wouldn't it be distilling over at this temp, registering on the thermometer?

It has been a while since I had ethyl acetate so my sense of smell/chemical detection may be off, but it smells like EtOAc.. but it also kinda smells like THF. :o I usually associate THF with the smell of OTC wart remover, and it kinda smells like that as well.

Did Klean Strip possibly change the formulation, rather than discontinue MEK substitute? So far I see about 50ml in the receiver flask and the vapor temp has not budged and there is no sign of slowing up as 1 drop/sec continues to distill.

Thoughts? Not sure which I like better, THF or EtOAc for 9.98/qt. Both are good deals imo.
splooge
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 11:44

This may seem naive but amazon has H2SO4, NaOH, and KNO3 after a really short search. H2SO4 was 30 bucks for a gallon of conc..
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 14-3-2014 at 12:41

Quote: Originally posted by HoH  
EtOAc for 9.98/qt.

It was $16 a gallon at Lowe's. There are no gallons anywhere in town and there is no way I'm paying $10 a quart at HD. Lowe's has gone exclusively to the Crown brand for solvents now, lameness...

Perhaps the discontinuation was the realization they could neither continue to sell gallons for $16 even if that was profitable, nor sell at $10 a quart.

Perhaps the thermometer weirdness is thermometer weirdness, and purity would be best determined by large scale conversion to ethanol and either sodium acetate or acetamide.

Get your chem gear while it's available. Much like the forklift at work, do not count on it being there at the time you want to use it.

I was walking out of the HD in another town today, saw a sign that said POTASSIUM CRYSTALS

...it was of course KCl for water softeners or something.

[Edited on 14-3-2014 by S.C. Wack]

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 07:03

Lowe's sells Roebic brand drain cleaner which claims to be 100% lye. There's no aluminum chips or anything in it, just two pounds of crystal NaOH.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 08:35

for acetone it could be done in excess

without having checked up on it but recalling something about it i was explained by a person i talk to that acetic acid can be made by letting oxygen get into your reaction chamber with yeast and sugar

perhaps CaCO3 could be dumped into this mixture to INSTANTLY react the acetic acid to get calcium acetate
this could then be dumped into a large metal can with fitted lid and metal tube to be decomposed into acetone at somewhat high temperature, the reaction apparently first starts at something around 500*C if im not totally off, but it surely could be done in a considerable bulk, making the calcium acetate could be a small side project that could basically have itself going without much more than some more sugar, yeast and water added once in a while

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Illusionist
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2014 at 16:06

Found a great source for pure NaOH and KOH, soap making stores have it.

www.saffireblue.ca

CDN $7.81 for 1KG NaOH
$9.60 for 1kg KOH

they also have good price on boston round bottles.
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 08:16

Try Ace Hardware if you live near one. That's where I found Rooto sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide. Always check hardware stores when you travel. Though sulfuric acid was available at my local store, I couldn't find any sodium hydroxide, but finally found some when traveling in the adjacent state.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 16:20

Those Klean-Strip teases are taking away the ethyl acetate now?! I was bummed when they discontinued the ethyl lactate "multi purpose natural solvent." On the upside this means that next year I can probably acquire a cheap stock of some other ethyl ester from their revised product lineup.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 17:00

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
Those Klean-Strip teases are taking away the ethyl acetate now?! I was bummed when they discontinued the ethyl lactate "multi purpose natural solvent." On the upside this means that next year I can probably acquire a cheap stock of some other ethyl ester from their revised product lineup.

They've ALREADY brought back real MEK! Perhaps they've given up on "green" replacements?

I went and bought out the local Home Depot's supply of the ethyl acetate "MEK replacer" just in case- But they only had 8 quarts. They never re-stocked, it would seem that when it's gone, it's GONE.

Pity, it made a decent replacement for amyl acetate, which I had formerly used in combination with acetone as a somewhat longer "open working time" solvent for nitrocellulose bound pyrotechnic compositions. Making NC bound "dragon's eggs" is a pain when the dough dries in an eye blink.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 17:18

There was a shortage of MEK in 2011, then another price hike recently; it's more or less better now. I suspect that drove the change to ethyl acetate in the first place rather than any actual interest in being "green". Off the top of my head they're similar in price.

EDITED for clarity. And punctuation. Possibly repeatedly.

[Edited on 4-28-2014 by Etaoin Shrdlu]
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 03:42

I picked up the last gallon of the Klean Strip MEK substitute. Last one in the Local Lowes. Never to be replaced since the switched to Crown solvents. Looks like the Home Depot still carrys the quarts but that's way over priced. Funny thing is, Klean Strip makes a 5 gallon can, but you can't find it anywhere without something like $180.00 delivery.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 06:00

Just went to Home Depot, they have Klean Strip Green Denatured Alcohol which is actually almost pure denatured ethanol, at least 90% according to the MSDS with a few percent of Methanol and MIBK to lower the tax. Much better IMO than their normal denatured alcohol which is like 50-50 EtOH and MeOH.

EDIT : What are you using 5-gallons of EtOAc for?

[Edited on 28-4-2014 by gdflp]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top