Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AP Chemistry
Turner
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 07:26
AP Chemistry

So I have taken Regular Chemistry at the High School level last year and took up an interest in it in May because I wanted to learn more about energetic materials, Since then I have spent a good amount of time learning the chemistry of EM, also going slightly beyond concepts from regular Chemistry. I am right now not on the AP level for Chem, but looking at some AP Chemistry problems, I was able to work a few of them out on my own and problems I didn't know much about I was able to take some time to learn the concepts online. I am considering spending the next 2 months working 30-45 minutes a day every day studying and learning, hopefully to the point I'll be able to take the test in May and score at least 3. I am not taking the AP Chemistry class now. I main reason I'd do this is to get college credit for Chemistry so I would have that class out of the way.

Right now I am weighing my options and trying to decide if this is a reasonable goal to have or if I should ditch the idea completely and forget it until college.

Opinions?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 07:41

It's definitely possible to independently study the concepts and do well on the exam (I did it).

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
organicchemist25
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 10:41

It can definitely be done. I did however try to clep out of chemistry and I was unsuccessful. It was not by much though, I do not think. Either way, I ended up taking Chem 101 and 102 and feel like I learned a lot more and gained a better understanding since I was already pretty knowledgeable with concepts and able to solve most examples from the start. I am glad I took the classes.

But, if you can get credit for it, then that is a plus, obviously!

Good luck.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 14:49

I took AP chemistry in 11th grade. It was a breeze - I barely studied for the class and got a 5 on the exam. An amateur chem background definitely helps.

Be sure to know the following though: net ionic equations (VERY big one), solubility rules, nomenclature of simple organics, strong acids and bases, Kc, Kp, and Ksp calculations, PV=nRT, molecular geometry/VSEPR, and redox.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
DrAldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-2-2014 at 15:12

It is really just a question of your commitment. I certainly wouldn't have the ambition to progress through the study and retention of a book, day after day, month after month, without the structure and deadlines of a classroom.

Can you study for and pass AP chem in a few months, on your own: yes without a doubt.
The question to ask is will you do it. I wouldn't have the willpower.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-2-2014 at 08:05

Consider also that, depending on the college and degree you want, they may not take your AP credits no matter how good they are. I got my degree in physics, and my college wouldn't take any of my AP physics credits because they wanted me to take "their" physics (I got 4's on the tests). Same with chemistry - general chem lecture was a complete repeat of AP, but I still had to take it. On the other hand, I never took any AP English yet was able to skip a few college classes because I was in Honors English. Go figure.

So the moral is, talk to the college you want to go to and see what their policy is on accepting AP scores. I wholeheartedly encourage you to study chemistry on your own (I probably learned more myself than in class), but that's just something to consider.

Go To Top