Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Vacuum Distillation anyone?
Mr.Spice
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 20-2-2014 at 14:21
Vacuum Distillation anyone?

I'm trying to get a vacuum distillation going and am having trouble understanding the basics of a vacuum pump and how to set it up with a distillation apparatus. I understand that there needs to be some sort of water trap, and that there needs to be a vacuum adapter at the end of the receiving flask. But the aspirator just dumps the water out? and in all diagrams I come across there are supposed to be 2 hoses for water out and in. where do they attach to? I am really confused and stuck. any and all help is greatly appreciated!
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Moved
20-2-2014 at 14:25
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 14:35

I can't see the video, but I assume it illustrates the following: The top of the Venturi aspirator is the water INLET, the bottom is the OUTLET and the side arm is where the vacuum is created.

A normal set up would involve connecting the top of the aspirator to a water source/faucet and having the bottom running freely into the sink/drain OR diverting this water flow through the water condenser you are using in your distillation aparatus (if applicable), THEN being ran to the drain.
Mr.Spice
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 14:52

ZIGZIGLAR: so the hose on the water inlet is attached through tubing to the water aspirator, and the bottom end can either run into the sink through the water condenser. You kind of lost me there, I'm trying to make sense of it but am having some trouble. and what does the water outlet attach to?
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 15:02

Quote: Originally posted by Mr.Spice  
ZIGZIGLAR: so the hose on the water inlet is attached through tubing to the water aspirator, and the bottom end can either run into the sink through the water condenser. You kind of lost me there, I'm trying to make sense of it but am having some trouble. and what does the water outlet attach to?

Aspirators do vary in design ... most of the ones I've seen have a threaded inlet, which is designed to screw into a typical household faucet. Some are different and have a hose barb for all 3 connections and it is up to you to figure out the best way to connect this to your water source.

The water outlet can just be left to flow freely down the drain. It is the flow of the water through the internals of the aspirator that generates suction at the side arm. If you are using a condenser in your set up, it is less wasteful to run the aspirator water through the condenser before being sent down the drain.
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 15:04

ZIGZIGLAR,
Running an aspirator output to a condenser, unless it allows for considerable unrestricted flow, you will be decreasing the efficiency of the aspirator. I suppose this is to conserve water, and in that case the water can be run from the tap/faucet to the condenser and then to the aspirator but unless your glass can handle high pressures and flow, I wouldn't recommend either (plus, you'd want water running through the venturi to be as cold as possible).
Mr. Spice,
refer to the wikipedia page on aspirators (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirator_%28pump%29), I believe the image and text will explain fully what an aspirator is and how it is operated and by what principle. There is also an illustration that you will find useful at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Simple_distillation_appara... vaccum "ïnput" is at 9, at the vacuum adapter.
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 15:15

I don't disagree. You can add a bleed valve to the aspirator output to reduce flow to the condenser without impacting on flow output from the aspirator. It is wasteful, but much less so.

I would personally prefer to recirculate water to the condenser from an ice slurry with a submersible pump. However, to an absolute beginner lacking in a lot of basic equipment, it's handy to be able to repurpose a single device to serve that of two.

I've never used an aspirator in an environment where the drain water is not recycled, because I can't justify being so wasteful. If I absolutely needed to use an aspirator at home or something, I'd probably have the waste water diverted to water the garden or something :D

But I have a vacuum pump capable of going to 10 microns and a regulator to control the suction pretty tightly.
Mr.Spice
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 16:41

Nickdul: I see the vacuum adapter on the side of the distillation flask, and I realize that it should be connected to a vacuum pump, I guess where I'm getting lost is how to connect the water supply to the vacuum (do you need to do that?) and what to do with the hoses that attach to the water inlet and outlet? what do they connect to?
Mr.Spice
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 16:44

Nickdul: I see the vacuum adapter on the side of the distillation flask, and I realize that it should be connected to a vacuum pump, I guess where I'm getting lost is how to connect the water supply to the vacuum (do you need to do that?) and what to do with the hoses that attach to the water inlet and outlet? what do they connect to?
Mr.Spice
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 16:45

ZIGZIGLAR: do you have any designs I cloud look at for vacuum pumps that recirculate water?
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 17:12

Mr.Spice: What kind of flask are we talking about? There's only two major flasks I can think of that have vacuum adaptors built in. Schlenk flasks, designed to accept a backflow of inert gas to perform reactions that are sensitive to air and a Filter flask, which is generally a conical shape with flat bottom - these are designed to be connected to a vacuum, but as a form of suction for pulling a lquid through a filter, not for distillation in a closed chain aparatus.

Proceeding with a vacuum distillation using a filter flask is probably not advisable as it is generally considered unsafe to reduce the pressure in flasks that have angular surfaces. Implosion may not occur with the ultimate vacuum possible from an aspirator, but I wouldn't be risking that when you can go ahead and buy a round bottom flask for $20.

ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 17:19

Quote: Originally posted by Mr.Spice  
ZIGZIGLAR: do you have any designs I cloud look at for vacuum pumps that recirculate water?

Vacuum pumps that internally recirculate water start at around $300+, I think. For less than this price you can just get a basic rotary vane vacuum pump that could preduce a stronger vacuum.

I have a feeling that we aren't talking the same language ...

What are you actually trying to do?
Nickdul
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 21:40

Quote: Originally posted by ZIGZIGLAR  

I would personally prefer to recirculate water to the condenser from an ice slurry with a submersible pump.

That is the way to go!
There are high-flow, high-pressure water pumps available in garden and DIY stores. It is a neat project to combine an aspirator with one of these and a reserve water container. These have been made and a search on the forum will bring up some valuable threads.
That said, a trip to the junkyard, scoring an old refrigerator pump, adding a filter to the output and inlet, and you've got a pretty decent vacuum pump. Short life and inconvenient, your mileage may vary.
TheAlchemistPirate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Enigmatic

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 10:08

Hey I am planning on doing vacuum distillation and have almost no knowledge about how to set up a vacuum apparatus or how to use it. Could someone give me a link to a site that explains what apparatus I need and how to use it? I cant find a guide anywhere on the internet. I thought that vacuum distillation setups cost thousands of dollars, but apparently not. I only know that people use vacuum distillation to lower the temperature of what theyre distilling to hinder decomposition from heat, and that you have to set up a pump and gauge of some kind to a normal high quality distillation setup.

"Is this even science anymore?!"
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 13:53

There are some good books availble for free here:

http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/index.html

If you look in the first one or two chapters lots of the organic chemistry books describe how to do vacuum distillations. Also, Googling "vacuum distillation lab guide" will give some good results.

You only need a distillation set up with a special end for your condenser called a vacuum take off adapter. This has a barbed connection when your vacuum line goes.

Check out the forum library and if you have more detailed questions after then let us know. "Experimental organic chemistry" by Norris is a good book as well as "systematic experiments in organic chemistry" by Cummings.
TheAlchemistPirate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Enigmatic

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 12:39

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
There are some good books availble for free here:

http://library.sciencemadness.org/library/index.html

If you look in the first one or two chapters lots of the organic chemistry books describe how to do vacuum distillations. Also, Googling "vacuum distillation lab guide" will give some good results.

You only need a distillation set up with a special end for your condenser called a vacuum take off adapter. This has a barbed connection when your vacuum line goes.

Check out the forum library and if you have more detailed questions after then let us know. "Experimental organic chemistry" by Norris is a good book as well as "systematic experiments in organic chemistry" by Cummings.
Ok thanks

"Is this even science anymore?!"
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 12:58

Quote: Originally posted by ZIGZIGLAR  

I would personally prefer to recirculate water to the condenser from an ice slurry with a submersible pump.

I also recommend this. The pumps can even be made cheaply with an aquarium pump, some brass fittings, and vinyl tubing. I have one a friend put together around here somewhere. They heat up, though, so if you want to circulate cold water, definitely do what ZIG says and make ice beforehand.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 19:07

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  

These are good resources for a schematic overview of vacuum distillation, but actual teaching procedures for it seem to be pretty sparse. Here's the best one I've seen thusfar:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistry/5-301-chemistry-laborat... (see p. 35)

Does this seem like a good candidate for the home lab? Vacuum distillation didn't make it into my education somehow, grumblegrumble...

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 19:42

A vacuum distillation is just a normal distillation done at a low pressure. Normally P=0-60 mmHg, depending on the vacuum source available. The exact pressure used/attained is usually not that important.

There are some new requirements and characteristics:

1. You need a vacuum source, usually a water driven aspirator or a vacuum pump.
2.You need a vacuum hose (heavy walled, non-collapsible) to run from the pump to the hose barb on the vacuum adapter. This adapter links the condenser to the receiver flask.
3. The whole system must be vacuum tight (or nearly so). Silicone greased glass taper fittings are the usual.
4. An ebulliator tube quite possibly will be required to prevent dangerous bumping.
5. A vacuum gauge is desirable. This is teed into the vacuum line.
6. There is a safety hazard, ie, a risk of a dangerous glassware implosion. Personal protection must be provided with eye protection being the minimum.

Establish vacuum before heating the pot. Break vacuum slowly. You have to understand and think things through more carefully than with atmospheric distillations. Gaining experience will help greatly.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 22:36

I want to start vacuum distilling my red fuming nitric acid to get a more concentrated cleaner acid and I was wondering how important it is to place a cold water trap for the fumes between the apparatus and the vacuum pump? Will my diaphragm vacuum pump become corroded and damaged fast if I do not use one?
Should I just go out and buy a trap before I vacuum distill the Nitric acid?

[Edited on 19-11-2014 by greenlight]
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 19-11-2014 at 11:16

Nitric fumes will eat a diaphragm quickly.
Use an aspirator and sodium hydroxide trap.
If you reciruclate add sodium carbonate and
Use a pump rated for waste or salt water.

Go To Top