Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: resin flask for rotovap?
soma
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2014 at 22:58
resin flask for rotovap?

Would there be a type of resin reaction flask that can be easily used on a rotovap? I'd like to find something that can be easily and completely scraped out (to remove resinous materials or crystals).
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 10:47

Whats wrong with a glass flask? Those for the large "20L buchis" (taking flasks 5 to 20L in size) are glass and have a neck wide enough to get your arm in (must be about 100mm) for scraping product out, or for washing.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 24-2-2014 at 11:45

I don't quite understand the problem, if you use a 24/40 oval (recovery/rotovap) type flask, it is pretty easy to remove solids once dry. You can even get a 29/42 joint steam duct, if you want a larger flask opening still. But if you are looking to use a 2 part flask (like a reactor pot with removable top) on a rotovap, that would seem like a very bad idea, as very hard to balance that to rotate smoothly.

I don't get what a resin type flask is for a rotovap. I consider resin type flasks as a screw-top bottle/vessel with a frit and stopcock on the bottom for washing resin.

http://www.chemglass.com/product_view.asp?pnr=CG-1860

bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 25-2-2014 at 07:38

Well, a rotavapor "beaker" flask might be what you are after. If it is sturdy enough to run reactions in I don't know: Rotavapor Beaker Flask

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 25-2-2014 at 11:27

Absurdly expensive isn't it? You could reduce the volume in a 1-2 L rotovap and remove the rest of the solvent in a vacuum cabinet or with a fan in the hood.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 25-2-2014 at 13:26

If that (Rotavapor Beaker Flask) is what you want, a lyopholyzer flask is really what that is. I have not seen them used on a rotovap, but I guess that they could work if you are really careful. They would be heavy if filled and the rubber top might just come loose until the vacuum is well established. I use the small ones often for drying samples inside vials on the high vacuum pump. If you want some huge ones, I have the glass jars in 1L size, as well as a few smaller ones, but not many of the rubber lids. Those always seem to get lost or damaged.
soma
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 11:50

Quote: Originally posted by bahamuth  
Well, a rotavapor "beaker" flask might be what you are after. If it is sturdy enough to run reactions in I don't know: Rotavapor Beaker Flask

Yes - that looks like what I'm looking for. $600 is real expensive but Aldrich usually is expensive for glassware. I'll check around. Thanks.

Go To Top