Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where can I get a small ultrasonic generator?
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2014 at 19:01
Where can I get a small ultrasonic generator?

I want to do some experimenting with Ultrasound catalyzed reactions but truly have no idea what to search in order to find such a device for this. From what I have seen in videos, it seems to just be a small outputter head that rests in the top of the solution, through which the ultrasonic vibrations are generated.

I'm sure there are many ultrasonic generators but I am hoping to find one that is specifically suited for chemistry purposes, one that won't totally destroy my products by being too powerful, or one that wont be not powerful enough. Any suggestions are welcomed!
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-2-2014 at 19:05

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're describing an ultrasonic harmogenizer. They have an over head attachment, kind of like an overhead stirrer, that rotates so fast that it slices liquids up at a molecular level. Pretty useful in the lab in any case. You can get them from most major lab supply companies, or possibly ebay etc
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-2-2014 at 20:22

Looked it up... looks like that is what I am looking for... glad I know what it is called now!

By the way, would you happen to know whether or not these can be used to substitute temperature in a reaction without destroying the products?

I read these can create energies that exceed thousands of psi's and over 5000k as the bubbles collapse, and I am not entirely sure if I should take that literally... if that is the case I feel it could destroy the reactants/products... but I know very little about sonochemistry.
DrAldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-2-2014 at 20:57

I have a small ultrasonic cleaner (Branson 2510). Sounds like it might work for what you are looking for. It has an adapter that lets you hang beakers in the solution. Also heat up. I believe the Zig meant ultrasonic homogenizer. They are used for cell disruption, mixing, but definitely better suited than a cleaner for what you are looking for.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 10:13

Many stores sell ultrasonic cleaners for jewelry, but they will not work well for chemistry. But if the reaction is thermodynamically favored, you can often speed it up with sonication, due to localized super heating (much like a microwave). If the product is stable to normal conditions, it hold hold up to normal sonication, unless you have some insanely powerful system, which you are not going to buy pre-made.

There are patents for ultrasonic biodiesel converters, which run the trans-esterification reaction in seconds as a flow-through device, which is nice, but similar to the effects of doing flow chemistry in a microdevice, where due to heat transfer being quicker, reactions can proceed faster. But these devices are mostly changing a batch process to a flow process, which can produce some efficiencies and substitute a quick duration at a high temperature for a longer time at a lower temperature. Nothing magical though. But those cost $1000's to build.
leu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 10:26

Submersible ultrasonic bonsai misters work well for sonication :cool:

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond
Endo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Cold

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 10:41

If you are handy, there are two types of cool mist vaporizers. One has a spinning disc... the other has an ultrasonic generator that has a disc about the size of a dime at the head of the generator to make the mist.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 14:05

I have one I'll sell you at cost. It is the generator part of an ultrasonic cell disrupter. For sonication you shop ebay for a thickness probe.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top