Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: May I have been exposed by Ricin?
Xanax
Hazard to Self

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 28-11-2004 at 04:47
May I have been exposed by Ricin?

Two times, I have tried to extract the poison from the beans of Ricinus Communis & Abrus Precatorius, Ricin & Abrin and both times I have been very ill, the days afterwards.

First time was the worst. I had no protection or something like that, and I did it in my kitchen. The day after I got pain in the whole body, diarrhea, stomach pain and more. I was ill in several days.

The second time, also the day after the extraction, I was really scared when I had diarrhea and I dicovered that it ran out a lot of blood when I was on the toilet.

The symptoms disappered after a few days, but I wonder if it is enougt, to be exposed by very small doses (not noticeble quantitys)?

Yes, I know that I'm stupid when I do this experiments. But now I've thrown away all my castor beans & jequerity beans.

I was drunk both times when I did the extraction :), chemicals are not good to be keept to store in my house when I'm drunk. Once I mixed Nitric acid with Glycerine, when I waked up the morning after there stood a glass of Nitroglycerine....:o
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 28-11-2004 at 08:17

By virtue of extracting the Ricin you were exposed to it. It is very plausible regarding your symptoms and the fact you know you were exposed to it, that you may have uptaken a large enough concentration to do some damage. I believe Ricin can have a latent period of some time (at least a month) so you might be in trouble there. To illustrate the toxicity of this compound here is a quote from "Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary":

Quote:
Very highly toxic by ingestion; small particle in cut or abrasion, eye or nose may prove fatal.

So if you managed to escape without permeant damage then it is definitely a good thing you tossed your castor beans. There is another major symptom of poisoning by Ricin which you didn't mention however, that of vomiting, I believe this is common in most cases and it seems odd it would be absent.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 28-11-2004 at 09:19

<b>Go see a doctor!</b> Seriously.

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 28-11-2004 at 09:59

I always thought to get ricin from those beans needs more than a simple extraction? But already in unaltered state the beans contain some nasty stuff, nothing deadly though. The oil was actually used in the olde days to get somebody on the shitter, so the symptoms are correct.

But please nobody post the correct process to get rizin now! It probably is exactly what somebody tries to fish from the depths here.

Thanks
/ORG

PS: If you die Xanax, make sure somebody applies for an Darwin Award for you. Perfect usename too, congrats.

Irgendwas is ja immer
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 28-11-2004 at 11:09

This seems to be a perfect example of how potentially deadly our hobby can be even when you know the hazards of what you are experimenting with.

I must agree about the Darwin Award. Getting sick once is one thing - but twice?

Castor oil from the castor beans was a very common laxative during the early part of the 1900's. Then I learned about ricin from the Bulgarian murder of a diplomat in London and they said it came from the same beans. This seems extraordinary to me that this common laxative didn't kill many people. I'm sure the knowledge level and quality assurance was not that great in those days. I still see castor oil for sale at my local pharmacy. You'll never catch me drinking that stuff. :o

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 28-11-2004 at 14:57

The beans are highly toxic by themselves. Slightly greater "density of toxicity" can be achieved by defatting the bean material with solvents. This defatted bean material is, I believe, what people who are reported in the media as having "made ricin" usually have. Extracting the pure and intact toxic proteins from the bulk of the bean requires significantly more sophistication. I know JACS has a lab-scale preparation that would be accessible to the well equipped home experimenter, and there's a patent registered to (IIRC) the US Army that shows how to do it on an industrial scale.

As far as I know, ricin is very difficult to effectively deliver on a large scale, so it never became adapted to battlefield use, though it is famous for use in a couple of assassinations. Reports of "suspected terrorists found with ricin" are little more worrisome than "suspected terrorists found with rifle ammunition." It's circumstantial evidence of evil intent, but really no more destructive than guns or petroleum distillates. If Xanax's reports are to be believed, it also threatens the health of the manufacturer far more than mundane weapons like firearms.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
HRH_Prince_Charles
Hazard to Self

Mood: Bombastic

[*] posted on 28-11-2004 at 17:05
Darwin Award Indeed

From http://waynesword.palomar.edu/lmexer1a.htm

"Ricin from the castor bean (Ricinus communis) is a potent cytotoxic protein that is lethal to eukaryotic cells by inactivating the organelle sites of protein synthesis called ribosomes. Just one single ricin molecule that enters the cytosol of a cell (the semifluid medium between the nucleus and plasma membrane) can inactivate over 1,500 ribosomes per minute and kill the cell. One of the two protein subunits of ricin (RTA) is a deadly enzyme that removes purines (such as adenine) from ribosomal RNA, thus altering its molecular structure and function."

Of course, all the 'suspected terrorist' stuff is pure bull. Of the 600-or-so people detained under the odious Mr Blunkett's terrorism legislation, all but around a dozen have been released without charge. Most of those charged are Irish terrorists, there's a Sikh 'terrorist' and a Tunisian. None of them are Al Qaeda. In fact, Al Qaeda is a myth - the name was fabricated by the US.

Loather of monstrous carbuncles, lover of organic melons and servant girls.
sergius
Harmless

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 28-11-2004 at 23:07

The links below could be useful

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/abrin/index.asp

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/ricin/index.asp

Sergius
Reverend Necroticus Rex
Hazard to Others

Mood: Poisonous

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 12:02

Abrin is EXTREMELY toxic, as you probably know, three to four times more lethal than ricin, that stuff is right up there with anatoxin-A, and palytoxin in terms of lethality.

You really shouldn't fuck around with toxalbumens at all, you are likely to kill yourself, theres no good "home" use of either plant IMHO, save for castor oil, although there are doubtless more pleasant ways of making you take a shit.

If I were you I would stay well away, ricin is bad, and abrin is a fuckton worse, I am surprised it didn't kill you:(

The sun is shining on a brand new day
Blackened corpses burn where they were slain
Self-flagellation prompts him to confess, Bless me father, for I made this mess.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 13:04

Xanax: Post here if you are alive.:(

DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 15:34

Now there's a crazy mofo ;) . Also a very lucky one. From what I understand though, if you survive the 3-4 days after Ricin poisoning and your symptoms go away, you can be expected to live. Still, I strongly strongly strongly suggest you visit a doctor and get checked out! Tell them you got drunk and mistook your castorbeans for your sleeping pills or something.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
aikon
Unregistered

[*] posted on 13-12-2004 at 09:19

Quote:
Originally posted by rogue chemist
Xanax: Post here if you are alive.:(

Message posted on 28-11-2004 at 12:47 PM
Last active: 29-11-2004 at 08:04 PM

Yes Xanax would be nice to hear from you, or from your relatives.
HNO3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 18-12-2004 at 07:26

I think we lost a member. I U2U'd Xanax on 12-13-04, and it hasn't even been read yet.:(

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 07:45

Maybe we should email him, incase he doesnt check the board anymore?

Edit: I just sent him an email

[Edited on 18-12-2004 by Saerynide]

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 09:13

Hope he checks his email.:(
Here's a dollar for a casket fund.:(
Edit: I just sent him an email too.

[Edited on 12-18-04 by HNO3]

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 16:05
I think he's dead.

Quote:
Username Xanax (Send U2U) (Add to Buddies)
Registered 8/28/03 (0 messages per day)
Posts 2 (0.01% of total posts.)
Custom Status:
Last active: 29-11-2004 at 21:04

His first post was from 1-1-2004, his second was the one at the top of this topic. He obviously isn't a frequent poster.

But as mentioned earlier he was likely to have been subjected to either ricin or abrin. Considering the extremely lethal nature of both substances (and and especially the second one) and the period of time that passed since his intoxication his death is a very real possibility.

Just goes to show you should always steer clear of this kind of chemistry. Anything that can only kill should be avoided. (explosives rarely kill smart chemists.)

I feel sorry for his family. Not because he's probably dead (that's his own stupid fault) but rather because they too may have been exposed to his "experiments".

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 16:45

Chemistry is dangerous, that's all there is to it. Xanax was lax in his treatment of this hazardous chemical, I don't think he's dead though, like some people's speculation on Flayer's demise from the phosphorus thread. Although Flayer still appears to be active to this day despite not posting in over a year. Xanax probably just pops in whenever he has something interesting, not really interested in the day to day activity here. There is a chance we may well never know what became of him, then again he could be looking over this post without logging in and laughing his rear end off.

[Edited on 12/19/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2004 at 19:55

Then again, if we did lose a member, it might not be all bad. Check out his 2 posts. After reading them I am :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:, and I think it might be a good thing to lose a terrorist/k3wl.

cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 19-12-2004 at 07:20

OMG, after reading this thread, it's like a movie or a in-depth story to me. About how ones inability to be responsible and caring with such dangerous materials has been the ending cause of their life. Even though HNO3 is right, i still kinda hope he is alive. I feel quite happy adnd somewhat assured by the way that Saerynide and HNO3 sent emails to see if he is OK. I think this thread should be 'laminated', as it contains a very valuable lesson, the moral of the story, don't f*** around with dangerous chemicals unless you know what you are doing, and can be safe and responsible in your experiments.

Best of luck to Xanax.
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-12-2004 at 12:35

OK, he's alive. "Hello!

Yes, I'm alive
I have throw'n away that shit now :-)

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:18:25 +0000
To: xanax@dcemail.com
Subject: Ricin

Are you still alive? You vanished after posting on Science Madness about the
extraction of ricin." The original email and the reply. But Xanax, please try not to kill yourself!:P

Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 22-12-2004 at 04:23

Thats good to hear :D

I didnt get a reply from him though... Im so insulted *sniff*

just kidding :P

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2004 at 04:49

Yay, he's alive :P

Good that he threw away the ricin/abrin, for the better :)
Darkfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wondering

[*] posted on 17-1-2005 at 13:44

Hahahaha where exactly did he throw it?

\"I love being alive and will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it. I will seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.\" Duane Allman
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 18-1-2005 at 01:09

Maybe he burned it. I don't know of any proteins save those from hot-spring microbes that can be seared pretty and still remain active.

At least, that's what I think...
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2005 at 07:14

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkfire
Hahahaha where exactly did he throw it?

In a populated childrens' playground? :P

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top