Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cesium Hydroxide Monohydrate from 50% solution?
zephler1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2014 at 19:33
Cesium Hydroxide Monohydrate from 50% solution?

I can't seem to find any information on forming the solid monohydrate from the solution form. The 50% solution was evaporated down to a very viscous liquid which does not boil at 100C. This is no doubt the very hydroscopic Cesium Hydroxide with many water molecules still around it, so it looks like some calcination is in order; however, I cannot find any references for what temperature to calcine it at to drive off all of the H2O's (with exception of the mono); doing this would render it into a solid, rather than this syrupy, H2O rich liquid....can someone help?

[Edited on 26-2-2014 by zephler1]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2014 at 05:26

That is going to absorb CO2 from the air like mad. I'm fairly sure you need vacuum to achieve what you are trying.

nezza
Hazard to Others

Mood: phosphorescent

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 06:47

What are you using as an evaporation vessel ?. My information is that CsOH dissolves glass so if it was in glass you may have some silicate there.
Dehydrating CsOH is going to be difficult.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 13:20

Quote: Originally posted by nezza  
My information is that CsOH dissolves glass [...].

I've heard this said countless times, yet have to see any solid evidence for it. Sure, hot, concentrated alkali metal hydroxides can etch glass to some extent, that I've seen with hot 50 % NaOH on kitchenware pyrex glass (but far from putting the glass out of use).

Molten CsOH would be disastrous of course but that's a different matter. I have had an glass ampoule of solid CsOH for years and there's no sign of corrosion of the glass whatsoever.

'dissolves' is a very strong term.

Töilet Plünger
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 16:40

Cesium hydroxide is used to etch silicon wafers. Maybe the confusion arises with the differentiation between silicon and silicon dioxide.

Of course, silicon does passivate, so it must be able to eat through the layer.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-2-2014 at 23:44

You'll need to concentrate your solution in a platinum dish. You may be able to use nickel instead as a cheaper alternative but I'd check that first if I were you. I do have a reference somewhere for the concentration of aqueous solutions, though I'm not sure if it covers up to solid isolation. I'll have a dig around when I've got time. You'll also want to use an inert atmosphere/vacuum as the carbonate is stable at relatively high temp.

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is do you need to isolate the cesium hydroxide monohydrate or can you use the aqueous solution as it is.

As for hydroxides vs glass... Think you'll find commercial suppliers use PP/PE containers for a reason. I'd be suspicious of a sample in glass, though I can imagine if its a high purity sample it may be in an ampoule. If its from a reputable supplier its probably ok (though they make mistakes sometimes, too).
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 01:31

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
As for hydroxides vs glass... Think you'll find commercial suppliers use PP/PE containers for a reason.

Yes, I have no truck with that.

Surprisingly enough no one seems to be curious about HOW he prepared (or obtained) the CsOH?

eidolonicaurum
Hazard to Self

Mood: Hydric

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 22:32

Sodium hydroxide does not attack iron, so presumably irjn could be used as an alternative to nickel.

Go To Top