Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: OTC Phosphoric Acid
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 08:03

Plante, you really need to see a doctor, if you haven't already: there are so many treatments out there you wouldn't believe it. I've just been treated for something I've been suffering with for weeks (not chemistry related), believing there was no cure for it but time itself, and just two treatments have already made a world of difference.

Ooopsie: wrong thread!

[Edited on 30-12-2012 by blogfast25]

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 30-12-2012 at 08:17

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Plante, you really need to see a doctor, if you haven't already: there are so many treatments out there you wouldn't believe it. I've just been treated for something I've been suffering with for weeks (not chemistry related), believing there was no cure for it but time itself, and just two treatments have already made a world of difference.

Ooopsie: wrong thread!

[Edited on 30-12-2012 by blogfast25]

I will see what I can do...

PS:Use the delete button or edit the content of the post!

I never asked for this.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 10:54

i remember watching this video from myst32YT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6GpMQ98u8I) where hes going for getting the nitric acid, but i also remember one of the other things that was in...
phosphoric acid, and water..
if you look at the video at 0:55 you can see the contents..
as this is described as a OTC source of nitric acid, then i guess you can get both nitric acid AND phosphoric acid as a nice OTC source of both... right?
i dont live in usa, nor do i like chemicals that etches glass :x
so i guess i wont be making concentrated phosphoric acid, or purifying it.

just thought it might be helpful, perhaps this might even be able to be bought other places in the world? i doubt usa is the only place they use nitric acid for cleaning concrete??

btw have anybody made a sticky thread yet where OTC sources of 'interesting' chemicals are posted?

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Scr0t
Hazard to Others

Mood: Desiccated

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 11:34

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  

just thought it might be helpful, perhaps this might even be able to be bought other places in the world? i doubt usa is the only place they use nitric acid for cleaning concrete??

Over here a similar mixture H2O/H3PO4/HNO3 is sold as "Acid Descaler", It's used by dairy farmers to remove milkstone and associated protein deposits.

Some contain H2SO4 instead of H3PO4 and sometimes they contain surfactants.

The one I use is "Biocell, Best acid descaler", about 52% /w total acid and about ~33% /w H3PO4 85%.

I usually just evaporate the H2O/HNO3 into the atmosphere from a Pyrex dish and when Temp. reaches 180°C throw in some activated carbon pellets to reduce any residual HNO3, if any (depends on how quickly it's been evaporated).

No etching of the Pyrex has been observed for temperatures up to 220°C.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 14-1-2014 at 20:44

I recently added 40g of sulfuric acid to about 67g of sodium orthophosphate, as per stoichiometry to make sodium dihydrogen phosphate. However, what I did not expect was a gigantic amount of gas produced. This may be boiling water from the heat of the sulfuric acid and the hydration of the phosphate, but the odd thing is that it kept bubbling long after it should have been 'extinguished', when I added about 250 mL of water to the flask in an ice bath. The temperature is now well below room temperature, and yet it is still bubbling. Curiously, there is a yellow deposit on the side of the flask.

What is this gas? Why is there so much of it? It was certainly acidic from the fumes I smelled (at first), but now it doesn't smell like anything at all.

Did I lose all of my phosphoric acid/sodium dihydrogen phosphate?

Edit: There is now a milky white bilayer that suggests a precipitate. The odd yellow spot has disappeared. This was filtered off, and found to be translucent white crystals of a small and easily filterable nature. Given the original appearance of the "TSP" as a white, fine powder, and the nature of the reaction (it was initially the dry powder and concentrated sulfuric acid), it is unlikely that this is unreacted sodium orthophosphate. It could be sodium sulfate - I will have to check with a soluble calcium salt when I get time. It is actually unlikely to be the target sodium dihydrogen phosphate, as this has a solubility of 60g/100mL water at 0 degrees C. All of that should be in the supernatant liquid, as well as (likely) some of the sulfate. I will check the density of the precipitate tomorrow, first comparing with that of trisodium phosphate, then sodium dihydrogen phosphate and sodium sulfate. I will also check the density of the supernatant, to see if it corresponds with the density of 40g sulfuric acid in about 200 mL water.

I know a reaction happened, but given the aforementioned release of copious quantities of gas, I am confused as to what it is. Could there be stabilizers containing carbonates in my TSP?

In addition, a significant portion of the TSP (visual estimate: ~20g) went unreacted. This appears to be covered in a protective, transparent layer of *something* about a millimeter thick, and tons of small bubbles are formed for a brief period of time when this is shaken with the filtered supernatant liquid.

I think that next time, I will just distill the phosphoric acid and partially neutralize with NaOH...

[Edited on 1-15-2014 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 15-1-2014 at 19:55

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
What is this gas?

Well geez you're the chemist...freaking analyze it. Or look back to what was said 9 years ago.

BTW I suspect that the strong etching I got was in fact from HF, from OTC grade phosphate, or it was the glass or both.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2014 at 05:50

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
[Or look back to what was said 9 years ago.

So what was said 9 years ago?

IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 16-1-2014 at 14:04

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
btw have anybody made a sticky thread yet where OTC sources of 'interesting' chemicals are posted?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3254

posted on 1-19-2005 at 07:00 AM

Would not this qualify? Somewhere in 7 pages surely something 'interesting' must be in there?

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
blargish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Mode Push

[*] posted on 17-1-2014 at 07:29

I was browsing through Canadian Tire the other day and stumbled upon something in the pool section called Aquarius Flush. The MSDS says that it's 30 - 60% phosphoric acid.

Anyone else have experience with something similar?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top