Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hex- Prefix
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by thebean  
I should have done a better job explaining that I'm interested in six carbon chains but while looking through this I liked some of the suggestions that were inorganic. Once I get some nitrogen cylinders I'm going to give the tungsten hexachloride synthesis a go. The hexamine complexes sound interesting. Out of curiosity are the hexamine complexes energetic in any cases?

Only if there are lots of nitrate or perchlorate counterions.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 10:36

I'm aware that my question was rather vague, that's why I posted to beginnings. I was interested in having a six carbon chain. My knowledge of organic chemistry is pretty decent. I was considering halogenation of hexanes but I don't have anything that would make separating the isomers very easy. I would appreciate it if you didn't patronize me.

If you knew your question was vague, and you knew that you wanted a six-membered chain, then why not clarify so in your original question? I have to question your understanding of organic chemistry and general abilities as a scientist if you are unable to deduce such simple matters.

I suspect that most people would have difficulty separating the various isomers of the hexyl halides; perhaps, instead of looking at it directly, an interesting idea for you would be to consider further substitutions and chemical reactions to the substrates to aid in separation. I would be very interested to see such results.

Besides, what do you make of my other suggestions? Although Cr6+ reagents are toxic and likely carcinogenic, the conversion of the primary alcohol to the analogous carboxylic acid should be facile. Conversion to the aldehyde would require more skill and control over the reaction, but is nonetheless a rewarding experience. If you don't want to use Cr6+, then other oxidants are almost certainly possible.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 11:20

Will you be doing these experiments with 6 testubes, 6 pipettes, 6 isomers, 6 salts and a labcoat with 6666666666 written all over it?
thebean
Hazard to Others

Mood: Deprotonated

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 11:53

Hexavalent, I liked the dichromate carboxylic acid synthesis and was planning on carrying it out soon.

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things."
-Henry Rollins
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 12:03

Hexavalent, I liked the dichromate carboxylic acid synthesis and was planning on carrying it out soon.

Good! Don't forget to use acidified dichromate; many procedures are available online as this is a common A-level experiment. The colour transition from orange Cr6+ to green Cr3+ is also interesting to observe.

If you need any help with the procedure at all, send me a U2U and I'd be happy to help. :)

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 4-3-2014 at 13:10

You can make hexanedioic acid (adipic acid) by reacting cyclohexanol or cyclohexanone with hot nitric acid. You need a fume hood for this reaction (huge clouds of NO2 being given off), and have to be careful to avoid a volcano-like eruption, but it is a fun reaction to do.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top