Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 5-meo-mipt stereoisomers, isomers and salts
Captain Howdy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 12:03
5-meo-mipt stereoisomers, isomers and salts

Hi, can I have a trivial question as I am unable to get a relevant answer anywhere else.

Can anyone tell me please if 5-meo-mipt (5-​methoxy-​N-​methyl-​N-​(1-​methylethyl)-​1H-​Indole-​3-​ethanamine, C15H22N15O) is an isomer/stereoisomer or a salt of any one of these chemicals:

* DET (Diethyltryptamine, C14H20N2)
* DMT (Dimethyltryptamine, C12H16N2)
* Etryptamine (alfa-Ethyltryptamine, C12H16N2).

I am not a chemist but I did my homework and if I understand correctly, 5-meo-mipt is not an isomer of any of these three chemicals, as its formula and moll.mass is different.

But is it a salt of any of them please?

Many thanks.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 04:03

These are four different molecules. Only alpha-ET shows stereoisomerism. None of them are salts. This kind of question goes into the "beginning" section.

Attention with the word "isomer": In some (legal) texts this word is used with a different meaning. Therefore always specify which kind of isomerism you are talking about.

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by turd]
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
9-3-2014 at 07:23
Captain Howdy
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 05:55

Hi turd. Many thanks for your help. I understand your point, but in this particular case, "isomer" is a chemical notion, not legal. May I ask you one more thing, if you say that only alfa-ethryptamine shows stereoisomerism, does that mean that there is a partial stereoisomerism between 5-meo-mipt and alfa-ET? Thank you.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 09:02

No, it means that alpha-ET exists as two stereomers, which are *not* diastereomers, because they are the mirror image of each other and therefore have the same physical properties (but different biological properties, since biological systems are generally likewise chiral).

None of the two alpha-ET stereomers is a stereomer of 5-MeO-MiPT. Indeed, 5-MeO-MiPT as well as the other molecules you listed do not have stereoisomers.

Isomerism has a multitude of meanings also in chemistry, therefore it is always necessary to say which isomerism you are talking about. They are detailed on Wikipedia, so I recommend you go and read that.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 17-3-2014 at 18:54

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/tihkal/tihkal40.s...

Regular isomers generally have obvious structural variations, from one isomer to another.

Propyl Alcohol.....CH3CH2CH2-OH Vs. Iso-Propyl Alcohol.....CH3CH(OH)CH3

Stereo-isomers......generally speaking, contain areas that are non-super-imposable mirror images of each other. Usually due to the presence of an asymmetric carbon atom. That is... a carbon atom that has 4 differing functional groups attached to it.

Moxy, as it is called, is not an isomer of any of the your above mentioned tryptamines. But, since you have presented your question in very legalistic language, it isn't exactly legal, none-the less. Some LE agencies MIGHT considered it an ANALOG to materials that are not legal to possess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-MeO-MiPT

[Edited on 19-3-2014 by zed]

[Edited on 19-3-2014 by zed]

Go To Top