Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Does anyone know how to make Ozone generator???
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2014 at 00:20

Thanks
NOV:5
Harmless

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 20:16

I didn't make mine, but I do have a large (5800 mg/hr CO3) commercial CD O3 generator running continuously scrubbing my TC lab. If I understand this thread correctly I should not let the output from my fume hood (still under construction) mix with the output from my O3 system? The hood has a 14"x 39" (RC-48) carbon filter in the top..

I hadn't really thought about it so I'm glad I saw this thread. I can run the discharge separately if needed.

Remember, Remember...
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 21:38

Quote: Originally posted by wish i had a kraken!!!  
I made changes !!!

I mean why electric arc cannot produce it???

Foil around the outside is counterproductive as now your O3 is in the air you breathe not confined only to the outlet of the device where it can be run into a reaction. You want coaxial electrodes separated by dielectric confined inside the tube to keep all ozone contained where you can direct it to where you want it to go, rather than up your nostrils.

An arc will produce some ozone but due to heat mostly NOx will be formed which is not what you want. There are so many sources already online about all of this. Stop asking questions for spoon fed answers in lieu of spending time in search and study. This is how most of us learned these things.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2014 at 04:04

just buy an ozone generator ,they are used for disinfecting water ,food and also as air purifiers in rooms,cars and closets
http://www.ozonesolutions.com/products/Commercial-Ozone-Gene...

but the thing that i have observed is that for most of these machines ,the outlet for ozone is big and square shaped,so leading the ozone from the machine to the reaction mixture(if you are planning to use it for that ,say for a reaction like reductive ozonolysis on styrene to make benzaldehyde) is going to be a problem as ozone attacks most materials,so i dont think you can use plastic or rubber pipes or hoses:(

[Edited on 13-10-2014 by CuReUS]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2014 at 09:57

Tygon seems to hold up to Ozone pretty well. The tubing on our 1970's ozone generator is Tygon and has held up fine. Rubber tubing would not last long, however. I can say from experience, that even with gloves on, your hands will smell like ozone if you get them near the output of it. Kinda like a thunderstorm or over-chlorinated pool.

I have had very mixed luck with ozone, for some reactions, it is the cleanest, easiest way to convert an double bond to the aldehyde (with DMS quench), other reactions it has chewed up some other part of the molecule or the double bond is hindered enough to not react. But there is only one way to know which will happen, a test reaction. And if your molecule is colored, it is much harder to see when the blue color when it is done.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top