Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My benzocaine synthesis video (please critique)
nb198
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 09:46
My benzocaine synthesis video (please critique)

I've decided to start making some organic chemistry videos and I have been trying to do some syntheses that I have found on this website and well as others. I am not sure where I got the procedure for the benzocaine synthesis, however, syntheses i get from this site I will be sure to properly credit and link.

I would just like to know what your opinion on my video is? What is bad/good? What can be improved?

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated. Call me out on anything you see that is wrong or inaccurate.

I know that one think I need to work on is not sound so monotonous in the video.

Link to video

On my channel I also have another video on how to make nitrocellulose. If you wish to critique that one as well, I would appreciate it! I already got a lot of feedback though about all the mistakes I made. However, comments are always welcomed.

My next video i will upload is the synthesis of chloroacetone (procedure by Organikum).

[Edited on 15-3-2014 by nb198]
copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 09:57

Nice video. The only thing is that the sound was pretty quit (Maybe that was just my computer though).

copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 10:12

*Quiet

Nickdul
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 10:16

Well made and to the point, I like it. One suggestion is to always use the full name of the compound, saying PABA or sodium bicarb just rings false in my ears, but I may be the only one. I look forward to the chloroacetone synthesis video!
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 10:43

Quote: Originally posted by Nickdul  
Well made and to the point, I like it. One suggestion is to always use the full name of the compound, saying PABA or sodium bicarb just rings false in my ears, but I may be the only one. I look forward to the chloroacetone synthesis video!

Thanks!

Yeah, I should definitely include the full name. In the chloroacetone video I'll be sure to mention the full names of all of the chemicals!
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-3-2014 at 10:45

Quote: Originally posted by copperastic  
Nice video. The only thing is that the sound was pretty quit (Maybe that was just my computer though).

Maybe it is just your computer (hopefully). It sounds okay on mine :p
JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 04:51

In the balanced equation it looks like a nitro-compound, also you can draw a equation arrow in word then take a PrintScreen with free download software. Subscript is also missing.

What is your total yield ?

What side reactions did occur (formation of diethyl ether,...) ?

Did you check the mp. ?

Reaction time ?

TLC ?

To avoid bullshit on your channel I recommend that you must agree the comment(s) before it apears on YouTube.
I should go faster over the theoretical part, probably you see it on your graph where most users end to watch that particular video. It's very silent, you can talk a bit and try it out - that wouldn't hurt you.

www.versuchschemie.de

"Keep sportive it's like Soccer: play on the ball, not on the players"
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 05:55

Some general points: This is an organic synthetic reaction and thus structural formulas should be shown (instead of just a molecular formula). When you pour in the mixture of ethanol and PABA you don't wash the erlenmeyer with fresh ethanol, loss of material. Same goes for when you pour the reaction mixture out after refluxing. In the quench, I'd pour the reaction mixture slowly into the base solution. Now the mixture bubbles a lot and splashes of conc. H2SO4 are not the best thing to have around. When doing vacuum filtration it's a good practice to clamp the Büchner flask, if it tips over ... whoops.
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 19:23

Quote: Originally posted by JAVA  
In the balanced equation it looks like a nitro-compound, also you can draw a equation arrow in word then take a PrintScreen with free download software. Subscript is also missing.

What is your total yield ?

What side reactions did occur (formation of diethyl ether,...) ?

Did you check the mp. ?

Reaction time ?

TLC ?

To avoid bullshit on your channel I recommend that you must agree the comment(s) before it apears on YouTube.
I should go faster over the theoretical part, probably you see it on your graph where most users end to watch that particular video. It's very silent, you can talk a bit and try it out - that wouldn't hurt you.

Thanks for the comment. I did actually mention the yield in the video! I just wasn't sure how much detail i wanted to go into on mp and yield or side reactions. I wanted the overall procedure to be clear, with some extra chem related details, but to be able to appeal to less chemistry inclined people as well.

I am definitely still in the process of figuring out the best method of presentation though
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 19:27

Quote: Originally posted by kavu  
Some general points: This is an organic synthetic reaction and thus structural formulas should be shown (instead of just a molecular formula). When you pour in the mixture of ethanol and PABA you don't wash the erlenmeyer with fresh ethanol, loss of material. Same goes for when you pour the reaction mixture out after refluxing. In the quench, I'd pour the reaction mixture slowly into the base solution. Now the mixture bubbles a lot and splashes of conc. H2SO4 are not the best thing to have around. When doing vacuum filtration it's a good practice to clamp the Büchner flask, if it tips over ... whoops.

ha, someone on Youtube called me out on the lack of a clamp for the buchner funner. I honestly have no idea how I didn't clamp it and then I didn't notice it when I was going over the footage later...

I definitely should have washed the flasks after decanting. Thinking back, I am not sure why I didn't.

I think my worst mistake was making it sound like putting the benzocaine your mouth was a good idea.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 19:46

Is it possible to edit a YT video? I've never uploaded one, but I might make a channel. I still think the video was good, if somone try's your procedure and makes to take it orally, he is somone who would have died anyway, natural selection you know! I like your videos and I subscribed - which I rarely do. :cool:

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by Zyklonb]

JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 04:18

Some practical tips and tricks

Based on my experience with YouTube is that it is coupled on Google+. I know that I did read a mail couple years ago from a subscriber on gmail and he did send a photo to me. It wasn't a clear photo so I clicked on it and then I couldn't login anymore with my password. Hacked...

The password recovery on gmail/YouTube is only possible with your mobile phone number (or a back-up phone from your friends) but my number (and provider) was changed and I couldn't open mychannel anymore. Then there was a second option for password recovery, they ask when I exactly create my gmail account. Since I couldn't answer on that question, this wasn't a good option.

Short:
- Always get one back up phone from a friend and check your current mobile number for security.
- Never click on images from strangers

Furthermore I recommend to subscribe Video Creators channel. He explains how to manage your YouTube channel, how to earn more money with YouTube and very interesting up-to-date information about YouTube.

Upload a lot of video's to get more subscriptions is my advice and because it's weekend you can watch the practical background on Video Creators channel.

btw: you can't edit on YouTube itself, but you have your video that is uploaded from your computer to edit it, if it's really needed ;)

Enjoy!

www.versuchschemie.de

"Keep sportive it's like Soccer: play on the ball, not on the players"
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 04:42

Ok, thanks for the info.

nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 11:16

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
Is it possible to edit a YT video? I've never uploaded one, but I might make a channel. I still think the video was good, if somone try's your procedure and makes to take it orally, he is somone who would have died anyway, natural selection you know! I like your videos and I subscribed - which I rarely do. :cool:

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by Zyklonb]

Ha, to be fair a few years back, I tried it in my mouth and I'm still alive. I think it was okay because the ethanol I used was food grade and my PABA was also food grade.

In any case, eating chemicals is a terrible idea.
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 13:46

Quote: Originally posted by nb198  

I think it was okay because the ethanol I used was food grade and my PABA was also food grade.

The issue is not so much with the purity of the starting materials but rather the possible side products formed during the synthesis. Few recrystallization sequences of course might push it to greater purity. Still, as you said, not the most advisable thing to do. Probably testing a small amount on lip etc. will not do any harm but it's always better to be safe than sorry.
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 18:37

Quote: Originally posted by kavu  
Quote: Originally posted by nb198  

I think it was okay because the ethanol I used was food grade and my PABA was also food grade.

The issue is not so much with the purity of the starting materials but rather the possible side products formed during the synthesis. Few recrystallization sequences of course might push it to greater purity. Still, as you said, not the most advisable thing to do. Probably testing a small amount on lip etc. will not do any harm but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Very very true. I somehow totally forgot about the possible side products.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 14:34

I like the video.
Neither your voice nor the presentation are boring at all.
You say to 'heat until boiling'. A rough Deg C would be good.
Saying that the addition of the acid is Highly Exothermic is excellent.

All in all, a great video.

I must add that you should suggest ways to test for the purity of the product in ways other than Tasting, basically to save yo ass.
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 18:18

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
I like the video.
Neither your voice nor the presentation are boring at all.
You say to 'heat until boiling'. A rough Deg C would be good.
Saying that the addition of the acid is Highly Exothermic is excellent.

All in all, a great video.

I must add that you should suggest ways to test for the purity of the product in ways other than Tasting, basically to save yo ass.

Ha, that is very true. I really think I brain farted when I thought it was a good idea to say to taste it. I assume the only real way to test purity would be melting point?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 23:30

Organic Chemistry is beyond my knowledge at the moment, so i cannot suggest ways to test the purity of benzocaine.

Go To Top