Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7
Author: Subject: Whats the most dangerous chemical you've ever synthesized?
sasan
Hazard to Self

Mood: Radiative

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 03:22

As unionised mentioned it depends how do you guys define dangerous,for example potassium cyanide is very toxic and deadly but it is not dangerous(it is not explosive,flamable and...) or sulfuric acid is not toxic but very corrosive and dangerous or trinitrotoluene is toxic and dangerous and explosive
My most dangerous product was acetone peroxide although it's not toxic but very dangerous and high explosive
I have zinc phosphide inhand too!!!!very toxic. See below-

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by Bert]
sasan
Hazard to Self

Mood: Radiative

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 05:55

There is a mistake on my last reply,zinc phosphide is very toxic and releases toxic phosphine gas in contact with water and acids
DrSchnufflez
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 17:48

Disulphur dichloride, hydrazine sulphate, lead acetate and nitrate, red fuming nitric acid and nitrobenzene are the ones which I consider the most dangerous of the chemicals that I have synthesized.

‘I’m free and easy-I’ll see you there!’
- Our Sunshine, Paul Kelly
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 18:28

elemental phosphorus, phosphorus trichloride, bromoethane, ethylamine, diethylamine, triethylamine, nitrogen triiodide (for giggles), RFNA. there are others but PCl3 was the worst. i was in the hospital for 5 days after accidental skin contact with a mixture of this and a tiny amount of P4(l) with liver damage. fortunately, the liver has an incredible ability to repair itself when it's not being abused heavily(according to the sawbones). use care kiddies!

[Edited on 14-5-2014 by Rogeryermaw]
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 18:36

Wow that sounds horrible, must have been very scary!

I suppose besides the usual things like bromine the most dangerous for myself was experimenting with silicon tetrafluoride (toxic gas) and preparing sodium monothioarsenate (requires handling arsenic trioxide and refluxing arsenic compounds).
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 20:20

KCN, H2S, P, chlorosulfonic acid, oleum, S2Br2, Cl2, Br2, HgCl2.

I recently decided I didn't want to store my white P anymore due to its fire hazard, so tried to make PCl3 out of it. This did not go well, so was aborted. I was able to recover most of my P, cleaning it up with H2SO4/K2CrO7. I'm thinking I may try this again, or perhaps try PBr3 instead. I suspect the major problem was that my P was just too dirty.

Quote: Originally posted by Rogeryermaw  
...there are others but PCl3 was the worst. i was in the hospital for 5 days after accidental skin contact with a mixture of this and a tiny amount of P4(l) with liver damage.

Roger, could you tell us some details of how this accident occurred, how much PCl3 was spilled on your skin, and where. I can understand how this could cause a painful and deep burn, but how it affected your liver has me a little puzzled.

[Edited on 14-5-2014 by Magpie]

[Edited on 14-5-2014 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2014 at 03:40

Well I'm no doctor... I'm really not certain of the connection. I was performing a test tube scale experiment with about 2gm P4. I had it outside clamped in a stand with a glass wool plug and a gas generator with tcca and a HCl drip. Naturally the reaction is quite exothermic. What I hadn't expected was for the mass in the test tube to grow in volume as much as it did. The glass tubing leading the chlorine into the tube became submerged and a bubble of Cl2 caused a tiny splash. Some of the unreacted P4 was exposed, immediately ignited, melted the glass tubing and then all hell broke loose.

My hand was on fire. I reacted much unlike a chemist and tried to pat out the flame but of course only spread it to my pants. Much in pain, I ran inside and dropped my burning pants, wrapped a towel around my hand and doused in the sink. With that under control, I waited for it to cool so I could inspect to see if I would have to dig P4 out of my skin. It was a small burn but DAMN it hurt! Dressed the burn, cleaned up my equipment and forgot about it. Within a couple days I started throwing up and had abdominal pain and swelling. Went to the e.r. and the doc said my liver enzymes were off the chart. Naturally I didn't disclose too much. Over the five days the numbers started returning to normal and they discharged my without an official diagnosis. Laid up in the bed with five days of morphine injections...
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-5-2014 at 04:45

This sounds really nasty, but good to read that there is no permanent damage. It is not the PCl3 which caused the trouble but the white P. White P is VERY toxic (LD50 is appr. 1 mg per kg of body weight).

PCl3 (and PCl5 as well) also is very nasty stuff, but this is more because of its extremely corrosive nature and the dense fumes of HCl given off by these compounds
and less because of its systemic toxicity.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 14-5-2014 at 04:49

From what i know, the absorption of WP can cause hyperphosphatemia which leads to hypocalcemia, and ECG abnormalities(bradycardia .etc).
and can result in multiple organ failure, mostly of the liver and kidneys as it tries to excrete the substance.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2014 at 06:30

after all that, i have no fear of phosphorus. just a deep, profound respect. next synthesis is going to be styphnic acid. that one has it's own risks. still waiting on the resourcinol from elemental.
Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-5-2014 at 17:36

^^^ I have seen this description of the synthesis (http://www.powerlabs.org/chemlabs/styphnic.htm). Are you using something similar?
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2014 at 04:27

Yes sir. This is basically the method I am planning to attempt. Now that all of the materials have arrived, I'll start this weekend with distilling some HNO3.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 15-5-2014 at 05:22

I'm glad to ear back from you Roger, had been a while since you were last active. Keep us (me) updated on your projects.

I never asked for this.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-5-2014 at 13:10

hey plante. nice to see you around! i will definitely keep a record of my work and share it here. the fun begins saturday.

while i couldn't find any detailed data on the skin absorption toxicity of PCl3, it is mentioned...but of course, when you read msds they will tell you to freak out if you got table salt on your skin...that said, the scary is that things got so hot, any PCl3 produced would have vaporized and the permissible limits of inhalation exposure are ridiculously small. no telling if that played in at all...thanking my lucky stars i had the presence of mind to do that particular work outdoors.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 14:26

So far, Pirahna Solution.

Apart from Chemicals, the most Dangerous thing i ever made was an Assumption ...

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 18:22

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
So far, Pirahna Solution.

Apart from Chemicals, the most Dangerous thing i ever made was an Assumption ...

Indeed!
As a teenager, some of the most dangerous things are the fumes. The car fumes and the per-fumes...

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 14:41

Perfumes just make the time memorable.

It's the hormones and pheromones that make young people all crazy.

I wonder. If an AI ever gets built, would it generate EM pheromones without even knowing ?

It probably would if it was recently built.
Older AI devices would most likely grumble about how annoying their offspring are.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 14:55

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
Jennifer sounds like a feminine name to me, but that may be just me

Hahahahaaaaaaa
I missed that bit. Very funny.

Yes, Jennifer is a feminine name (One of my daughters is also called Jennifer).
Aga is a brand name for a wood-burning cooker.
plante1999 is, er, a name.

Gender doesn't really matter here - this is Virtual reality.

Don't get all confused and think it's a dating website.

If you DO get confused, then Google. Much safer.

[Edited on 20-5-2014 by aga]

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 17:43

Well, the point of an username is to be Gender neutral he he.

Plante is the french for plant, and 1999 is just because I could not have 2000 for the first username I used on the net (Yes I still run the same username 10 year after ha ha).

I never asked for this.
zirconiumiodide
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 04:27

Gases

Probably Nitrosyl Chloride and Nitrogen Dioxide. They are not the pleasantest of gases!

Nitrogen Dioxide when making Nitric Acid. Funnily enough throughout the whole procedure i didn't smell the gas once, as was making the acid outside and it was a fairly windy day. The only time i did smell it was when i vented the acid a couple of hours later. Not expecting there to be much gas evolved i was very suprised when it fizzed. I was inside at this point and quickly took the bottle outside, but not before i had got a whiff of the stuff.

Nitrosyl Chloride has a similar smell and i produced some upon making Aluminium Nitrate. To remove the gas from the solution i had to boil it and could see the yellow gas as it was evolved from the mixture. This i did outside, whilst i was inside controlling the heat at the plug! But a very reactive gas. After reacting Nitric acid with the mixture (before boiling) i stored the mixture for a few days in a beaker, in a saucepan of cold water and saw that the NC gas leaving the solution had already started eating the side of the saucepan and leaving brown marks that were quite hard to remove!

These gases are ones i have the upmost respect for! :)

Apart from gases i suppose Lead Nitrate is the most toxic solid compound i've ever made.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 07:14

Even ammonia gas hurts and sticks around. Gasses, mostly, are nasty...

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 07:38

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
the per-fumes...

Indeed. Ya never get immune to them.

Nickel Chloride. Didn't even realize I had it, why was so dangerous.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 9-6-2014 at 14:16

Yep, nickel chloride, or really any soluble nickel salt for that matter, can be very innocent and nice looking, yet also quite toxic.
Also, the worst gas I've produced is hydrogen sulfide. It's scary how it can kill your sense of smell, despite smelling awful at first, so that you eventually just breathe it in and then die without knowing what hit you… Every time I got the slightest hint of it I'd promptly go to get some fresh air before continuing to work.
Fenir
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 13:05

The most dangerous chemical I have ever synthesized is nitrogen dioxide. It was the unintended by product of nitric acid production. The most dangerous non-chemistry thing I have ever made was a mistake.
APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 11-6-2014 at 16:45

Most dangerous (or nasty) I've made:

anhydrous ammonia
sulfur dioxide
nitrogen dioxide
iodoform
iodine

"Damn it George! I told you not to drop me!"
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  7