Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Resources for the concepts of electrolytic synthesis
Ax165Xj
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:44
Resources for the concepts of electrolytic synthesis

I'm becoming interested in electrolytic chemistry and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to learn the concept of it. I have a chemistry degree so I don't really need basic chem but I'm not particularly familiar with electrochemistry. I have a few questions in my head that need cleared up. If anyone can answer them or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

1.) It seems to that you can replace some reagents in certain reactions with electrolysis. More specifically, in my head, it makes sense that you could replace reducing agents with electrolysis (correct me if I'm wrong, like I said, I am not really familiar with electrochemistry).

Here is a scenario in my head that I'm interested in but may be totally impossible but here goes:
Can you replace hydride reduction with an acid and some electrons? If it was possible, it could definitely save some money as hydrides are relatively expensive. I'm guessing it's a little over-optimistic, expecting the three ingredients just to come together and work.

And some more over optimism following the example of hydrides: NaBH4 has a standard reduction potential of -1.24V (don't quote me on that, just looked it up quick for an example), would that be the voltage at which I would need to run the reaction?

2.) If I know the balanced redox equation for a reaction, how do I apply that to the actual process? I know the redox equation predicts how much current needs to be passed but is there any other things I should be paying attention to?

3.) Is there a good resource on understanding why different electrode materials are useful for different reactions?

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:50

1) Yes. The electrons themselves act as the "reducing agent" in this scenario.
2) The voltage requirements to reduce certain species, and the current density of the setup.
3) Depends. Mostly electrodes are chosen because they are inert to all reactants and products, with carbon, mixed-metal oxide on titanium and platinum favorites. Nickel can also be a good choice, as in the molten electrolytic reduction of NaOH to Na.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
jwpa17
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-4-2014 at 18:08

It's dated, but I believe the standard reference is Albert J. Fry's 1989 book, Synthetic Organic Electrochemistry, at least for organics. There's probably an illegal pdf version somewhere on-line, although Amazon still has copies available. I seem to remember something similar for inorganics as well, but don't recall a title or author. Sorry.
Back when I was interested in the subject, Brockis and Ready's two volume compendium Electrochemistry was considered pretty good coverage of the theoretical aspects. And Heineman and Kissinger's Laboratory Techniques in Analytical Electrochemistry is supposed to have a lot of practical information, too. Although I've never read it, people I trust have recommended it to me.
Good luck.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2014 at 18:53

http://lib.freescienceengineering.org/view.php?id=936074
http://lib.freescienceengineering.org/view.php?id=105560

jwpa17
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-4-2014 at 19:19

The "Topics in Organic Electrochemistry" isn't the book I was referring to, but would undoubtedly have valuable information.
Burner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2014 at 17:49

Does anyone know where I can get a PDF of "Synthetic Organic Electrochemistry", by Albert J. Fry? Thanks!

Go To Top