Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: p-Toluenesulphonic Acid to Tosyl Chloride
thebean
Hazard to Others

Mood: Deprotonated

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 20:10
p-Toluenesulphonic Acid to Tosyl Chloride

I read on the forum about preparation of TsCl from TsOH by first dehydrating the TsOH and then adding a chlorinating agent. You have to use P2O5 to dehydrate the TsOH, I don't however have a source of P2O5. Is there another way to produce TsCl from TsOH? If there is a way to directly produce methyl tosylate without TsCl I'd be interested in hearing about it as well.

[Edited on 23-3-2014 by thebean]

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things."
-Henry Rollins
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 23:50

You could use thionyl chloride, as is industrial practice according to Ullmann's. It's also useful for mesylates. Are you planning on using the Org Syn procedure for methyl tosylate?

Garage Chemist has done extensive work on amateur/home production methods of sulfurt trioxide and associated chemicals such as oleum. Not for the faint of heart, but not out of reach with proper glassware.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=10217
thebean
Hazard to Others

Mood: Deprotonated

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 06:14

I was planning upon following the Org Syn procedure. This thread was a slightly modified procedure. I was hoping to produce a purer product but I don't have good vacuum distilling capabilities so that might be a little difficult. After reading I did notice a mention of Ullman's idea but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things."
-Henry Rollins

Go To Top