Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: vinyl or PVC tubing
copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 09:20
vinyl or PVC tubing

Hi, I just recently bought some vinyl tubing off homesciencetools and i was wondering if it could withstand bromine, ammonia, and chloroform vapors. Thanks

Btw the bromine and chloroform vapors would be hot so it might react more.

numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 10:30

Eh, it should work for bromine if it's not a huge distillation, it will stain the vinyl tubing. I have tried this for 20ml of bromine, but I ended up throwing the tubing away. You could probably keep it for more bromine distillations.

I don't know if its possible to clean the stain, if anyone knows... Would sodium thiosulfate
work?

Read this, gives quite a bit of info on Bromine including neutralizers.

http://www.bromaid.org/handbook/section2guidanceatthesceneof...

Haven't tried ammonia or chloroform.

[Edited on 3-23-2014 by numos]

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 10:40

I use PVC tube to vent off bromine vapors from the vacuum take off for scrubbing. The tube turns orange, and releases bromine slowly over a few days after, stinking up the room where it is stored. Now a few weeks later the tube has went from orange to very dark, almost blood red. It doesn't smell anymore but had maintained it's flexibility... Just changed color really.

I tried running leftover thiosulfate as well as sodium hydroxide solutions in the tube after the distillation but that did nothing. The Br gets into the plastic but doesn't seem to attack it very much. This was used for vapor though(albeit venting off from distilling about 100ml of bromine, so it had substantial exposure) bromine liquid I'm not sure about though.
Refinery
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 10:41

PVC works with ammonia well.

UTFGS "*substance* compatibility *material*" like "ammonia compatibility pvc". It'd be handy to post these common compatibilities around here because anyone playing with other than glass will come up with them eventually.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 10:50

Plante1999 told me that PVC is chemically degraded by liquid ammonia. Still, that's liquid ammonia, ammonia gas may not be.

Go To Top