Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Joint size
copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 26-3-2014 at 17:58
Joint size

Hi, ive been researching if a 24/29 joint can fit into a 24/26 joint. I couldn't find any answers so can it? Thanks.

ParadoxChem126
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-3-2014 at 18:09

Yes, the 24 refers to the diameter of the joint at its largest point (in millimeters) and the other number refers to the length of the joint. The taper is the same in all 24mm joints, they just have different lengths. For example, a 24/40 will fit into a 24/29, but it will extend slightly past the joint.

Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 26-3-2014 at 18:15

If you are just starting to get into chemistry, it is important to pick a common joint size for all of your glassware, 24/40 is a good one because it is the standard size in most American labs, plus it is available on ebay for good prices!

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-3-2014 at 18:28

Why did you need to start a thread to find any answer to this simple question? Why not just Google it? On the Wikipedia article about ground glass joints it says;

"The first number represents the outer diameter (OD) in millimeters (mm) at the base (widest part) of the inner joint. The second number represents the ground glass length of the joint in millimeters."

Please do more research before starting a thread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_glass_joint#Conically_ta...

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
MyNameIsUnnecessarilyLong
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-3-2014 at 00:27

Since all ST glass has a standard taper angle of 5 degrees, all you need to know is the max diameter to know if two pieces will mate or not. It's important that the male joint is the same length or slightly shorter than the female joint if you want to use joint clips such as Kecks
copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 27-3-2014 at 03:26

OK sorry I just didn't think to go to wiki. So should I get the distillation setup (its 55$) because the diamateter is 24 or is the length important to?

TheChemiKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2014 at 07:09

I have received a sep funnel with a 24/26 joint, but it was not standard tapered. It would not work with either my 24/49 glassware or my 24/40 glassware, whereas the 24/49 and 24/40 worked fine together.

When the police come

\( * O * )/ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'̵͇̿̿з=༼ ▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿ ༽
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 18:00

I highly recommend getting pieces where both sizes, diameter and length, are congruent to avoid issues with leaking or sticking. The ideal is definitely standard taper, with that little T symbol, then #/# all matching throughout any glassware not using an adapter to size.

Go To Top