Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A synthesis video I made of mercury (II) thiocyanate
nb198
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 07:00
A synthesis video I made of mercury (II) thiocyanate

I am trying to make a collection of chemistry videos. So far, this is my fourth installment.

Let me know what you think!

Video link
annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 11:27

Thanks, that was very interesting, and your video was well done! It's nice to have videos of some things that are too dangerous to do oneself. The chemistry is also fascinating---carbon nitride is a real surprise!

The book "Simple Chemical Experiments" by Morgan (in the forum library) has a preparation called "Serpent's Eggs", also described as "Pharoah's serpent", made from potassium nitrate, potassium dichromate, and sugar. Probably not as dramatic though.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 14:28

Wow, nice video.
I wonder if one could extract any useful chemicals from those little "snake" fireworks that have the same foaming effect.
When I get my mercury in a few weeks I may try this synthesis...

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 16:31

Very professional, Loved it! Never knew of this reaction till I saw this video! Subscribed!

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 19:40

Quote: Originally posted by annaandherdad  
Thanks, that was very interesting, and your video was well done! It's nice to have videos of some things that are too dangerous to do oneself. The chemistry is also fascinating---carbon nitride is a real surprise!

The book "Simple Chemical Experiments" by Morgan (in the forum library) has a preparation called "Serpent's Eggs", also described as "Pharoah's serpent", made from potassium nitrate, potassium dichromate, and sugar. Probably not as dramatic though.

I will definitely check that out! It says to use 'mucilage' to stick as a binder. What do you think would work as a substitute? I don't think I can get that very readily.

[Edited on 31-3-2014 by nb198]
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 21:44

Very nice video! [Liked]
I tried without the binder (I don't have it either), it did not work at all, it didn't even burn.:(

nb198
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 04:54

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
Very nice video! [Liked]
I tried without the binder (I don't have it either), it did not work at all, it didn't even burn.:(

Aw man! That is upsetting. I was hoping to try it out today. Thanks for saving me some time!
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 06:04

Too bad he measured in terms of teaspoons, instead of grams. So perhaps I got the perportions wrong. Does anyone know what the reaction is?

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 11:06

agreed... great clean start

if you want to try something many will find interesting, you could try to take some OTC 'chemicals' and turn them into more useful things
such as steel into dichromates, or creating ferrates

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 19:58

Quote: Originally posted by nb198  
I am trying to make a collection of chemistry videos. So far, this is my fourth installment.

Let me know what you think!

Video link

Nice! Very well done. Canadian too!

Its good to see some more youtube chemistry videos. It seems to have died off after a brief 'fad'.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 2-4-2014 at 23:18

Yea, I had observed video about chemistry almost stopped existing for some reason but since I was more into books I did not care.

About the latest video:

You could try to use carbon disulphide xanthate next time? That could be an interesting experiment to compare results.

I also found it sad you did not dried the cellulose in your last video

How did you figured out he was Canadian? Even if I'm Canadian I can't recognize the accent yet...

I never asked for this.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 10:22

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
Yea, I had observed video about chemistry almost stopped existing for some reason but since I was more into books I did not care.

About the latest video:

You could try to use carbon disulphide xanthate next time? That could be an interesting experiment to compare results.

I also found it sad you did not dried the cellulose in your last video

How did you figured out he was Canadian? Even if I'm Canadian I can't recognize the accent yet...

There is a little Canadian flag next to his username on the video page hehe. Most English speaking Canadians that live in a big city have a neutral accent. We learn it from watching too many TV shows.

I like how the video mentions the difference between mercury(II) and mercury(I), a little detail I wouldn't have thought of.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble

Go To Top