Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: collective thread for storing various energetic materials
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 09:57
collective thread for storing various energetic materials

There is always a need for proper storing of energetic materials so I have started this the read where everyone may ask his doubts related for storing various energetic materials .

I have also some doubts which I would like to clarify .
1- how to store mercury fulminate and nitric acid 95%+ concentration .

Girls break promises like a small child breaks pencil tips so don't trust girl bcoz no girl=no tension
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 10:34

In a dark climate controlled metal shed far away from your house!

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Ral123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 10:45

At in the hot summer sun in dark containers sample of LA and sample of NC didn't show signs of decomposition. The NC is 2 years old now and still doesn't smell and is white. It's washed well only.
AP doesn't sublime much in subzero temperatures. HMTD sample was significantly weakened after 6 months.
I feel human incompetency is worst, store away from people. Stable secondaries give piece of mind.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 12:05

Quote: Originally posted by Vikascoder  

1- how to store mercury fulminate and nitric acid 95%+ concentration .

ALL explosives, most ESPECIALLY primary and other high explosives are stored under lock and key where the curious can't reach them and the worst case fire or explosion will not involve anyone but the person who chose to store things like that.

Go see the BATFE orange book for basics on that, look at the tables of distances vs net explosive quantity and type of material for a rough idea of just how far away from the public that storage should be.

Federal Explosives Law and Regulations

Quote:

Tenney Davis (Chemistry of Powder and Explosives, p.310)

Mercury fulminate is usually stored under water, or, where there is danger m freezing, under a mixture of water and alcohol. 'When wet it is not exploded by a spark or by ordinary shock, but care must be taken that no part of the individual sample is allowed to dry out, for wet fulminate is exploded by the explo- sion of dry fulminate. It is not appreciably affected by long storage, either wet or dry, at moderate temperatures. At the tem- perature of the tropics it slowly deteriorates and loses its ability to explode. At 35°C. (95°F.) it becomes completely inert after about 3 years, at 50°C. (122°F. ) after about 10 months.

Best practice would be to make anhydrous or near anhydrous nitric acid just prior to use and NOT store it. Nitric acid decomposes at room temperature, if you must store, do so in a tightly sealed Teflon coated (shatter proof) dark bottle in a freezer below Oo C.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 15:29

10% water is suggested for picric acid, as well as avoidance of metals.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 17:39

Quote: Originally posted by roXefeller  
10% water is suggested for picric acid

Not actually necessary. See Rosco's posts in picric acid threads.

Screw cap containers are a no no for any sensitive HE or primary.

Of course everything depends on quantity. A few mgs of even the most sensitive primary could be stored wherever in an appropriate(read: non-shrapnel) container.

But mercury fulminate also has the toxicity issue, if it goes off you are dealing not only with the explosion, potential shrapnel, but also toxic fumes. So wherever it is should be very well ventilated, and certainly not in your house. Same for lead azide.

You should avoid storing primaries except for very short periods of time, and even so, kept wet is ideal.

100% nitric stores well in a fridge. Although freezer is better. If you buy the 100% from aldrich it comes slightly yellow, and even after 6 months is of comparable hue.
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 1-4-2014 at 07:31

Quote: Originally posted by The_Davster  
Quote: Originally posted by roXefeller  
10% water is suggested for picric acid

Not actually necessary. See Rosco's posts in picric acid threads.

Screw cap containers are a no no for any sensitive HE or primary.

Of course everything depends on quantity. A few mgs of even the most sensitive primary could be stored wherever in an appropriate(read: non-shrapnel) container.

But mercury fulminate also has the toxicity issue, if it goes off you are dealing not only with the explosion, potential shrapnel, but also toxic fumes. So wherever it is should be very well ventilated, and certainly not in your house. Same for lead azide.

You should avoid storing primaries except for very short periods of time, and even so, kept wet is ideal.

100% nitric stores well in a fridge. Although freezer is better. If you buy the 100% from aldrich it comes slightly yellow, and even after 6 months is of comparable hue.

The NON-SHRAPNEL storage containers are key.
I like to store my energetics in two ziplock bags which are kept in a small locked shed 200 ish yards away from my house.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Go To Top